The Portal Hub: All things Pinzgauer, Haflinger, Volvo 303 and more.

The Portal Hub: All things Pinzgauer, Haflinger, Volvo 303 and more.

From Vince Sweeney: You have arrived at the original "Real 4x4's" Forums, founded in 1999.

The forum isn't free for me to keep up. Donations accepted securely with Paypal.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Are the old weber and NDIX carbs interchangeable? 

Post Are the old weber and NDIX carbs interchangeable?
I'm sick of messing with the weber carb. Can't seem to get the slightest throttle pop corrected. I'd love to swap over to a NDIX, where I'm at least familiar.

1986 Corvette For Sale
2001 F250 Diesel and trailer
Current Company Cars
2017 MKT
2017 F-150

Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:06 pm

Post Re: Are the old weber and NDIX carbs interchangeable?
there are two main different kind of intake manifold, one with zwo stud´s fixing for the Weber Carburator and 4 stud´s fixing for Zenith NDIX Carburator. there are undergroup versions of each main type ( like underpressure connect, with/ without throttle(s) ...)

Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:18 pm

Thank you.

Wouldn't happen to know much about the weber carbs would you? Any advice for slight throttle popping?

1986 Corvette For Sale
Current Company Cars
2017 MKT
2017 F-150

Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:57 pm

If all turning studs and levers (from front to rear) are greased (running free), didn´t worn out bushes and stud´s, all slighting gommets at chassis are mount for push-rod; it only can be on the Carburator. At it self the throttle-shaft often twisting and buckle. also probs at both ends of throttle shaft ones the conect to the pump rod (often disformed+damaged) on the otherside the holes in between-levers and the slighting bush worn out and be stucked. The push rod to carburator top and start flat it self also twist and buckle. the Weber Cab is very very prone to fault because all surfaces have to be seal, all moving parts needs thighting play, the float gauge is a book of it´s own and Screws never pull to maximum torque (all parts will be bend) This Cab needs hand of an surgeons...

Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:01 pm

audiocontr wrote:
Thank you.

Wouldn't happen to know much about the weber carbs would you? Any advice for slight throttle popping?

What do you mean by throttle popping? I know about the throttle off idle bog, deceleration popping is common, crummy accelerator pumps, air leaks around the butterfly shaft, flooded floats, busted off needles...but what's throttle popping?

Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:39 pm

i would call it a strong stutter when just tipping into the accelerator pedal. It pops, bogs, etc... again, this is at the slightest touch of the throttle. Pushing beyond is perfectly fine.

Float adjustment seemed to help a little

1986 Corvette For Sale
Current Company Cars
2017 MKT
2017 F-150

Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:25 am

Ah, got it. Sounds like a variation on the good old off idle bog. Also see that in 'mogs, VW's.

Have you checked for air leaks? Accelerator pump working ok? Set idle speed and adjustments?

Yet something else might be to check your distributor advance mechanism, make sure it's functioning properly - lubricated, no binding, etc. If it's binding somehow, until the RPM's get higher and the mechanism suddenly releases, that could cause a bog also......

You could always do the old trick of just running a faster idle speed, which is what I usually do. I still haven't bothered to really R&R a carb. I've got a spare one that I'll eventually drill out the throttle shaft hole, install a bushing, and ream to a good fit. That's the main issue I've got on one of the old carbs, just decades of wear.

If Jim Molloy is reading this - Jim, I know you swapped from the Weber to the Zenith on some of your vehicles, did you see any improvement in performance off idle and in general?

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:30 am

Check your Carb for air leaks.
Get one of those plant misting spray guns. Fill it with water and give the Carb a good misting whilst running it at idle and just above idle. If it stutters because of the misting, then you have a air leak as the water mist is getting in and disrupting the petrol /air mixture.

Once you know that is what the problem is, you can be a bit more selective with your misting and hopefully discover where the air leak(s) are.

John

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:37 pm

I have found a well-functioning Weber and a well functioning Zenith NDIX provide very similar results. The primary weakness we have seen in the Weber is leaking floats. With the Zenith, it is worn throttle body shafts causing air leaks. Some Zeniths, especially on the Unimog 404, seem to get a bit "weepy" at times as well. Replacement parts for the Zenith are far more readily available.

For me, it also comes down to familiarity. The Zenith-Pallas 32NDIX has been very successfully used on so many different vehicles. Starting with the Porsche 356, it has seen service on the Unimog 404 series trucks, the DKW/Auto Union MUNGA, Pinzgauers, Haflingers, Borgwards, BMWs, Panhards and countless VW on road and off road vehicles. I am so please with this carburetor, I am working to replace the aftermarket Weber 44IDF carbs on our 1981 air-cooled Vanagon Westfalia and the side draft Zenith-Stromberg 175CD carbs on our Volvo TGB11 with the NDIX. It has been called the best off road carburetor ever built by quite a few authors in the past. Who knows? with a bit of prodding from an interested public. the NDIX could be the next retro carburetor that EMPI chooses to reproduce.

Hope this helps.
Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:42 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]