Pesky brake springs

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Sandy
Canada

Pesky brake springs

Post by Sandy »

It's been at least 15 years since I had to work on the rear brake cylinders so have forgotten how I did things then. Like fitting those little brake shoe springs back into place! I got everything assembled according to shop manual including the spring on the front shoe but those two springs on the rear shoe are giving me grief. The "wire loop" thing just isn't working despite trying different types of wire and using a bit of lube. For all you guys who do this all the time, what are the tricks of the trade to get the ends of those springs hooked onto the shoe? Cheers!
1975 710K
1971 700/APL (NA)
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Re: Pesky brake springs

Post by Heinkeljb »

Have you tried going the other way round? I.e. put the little brake spring in the brake shoe, then use a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the end that goes into the backing plate. You can use a wire loop to do the same job. Pull the brake spring up to the point where you can use a screwdrive to push the end into the hole inhte baking plate and your done. Much easier dealing with that end of hte spring than the other end that is in the brake shoe.

John
Sandy
Canada

Post by Sandy »

Hey John, thanks for that. I have tried both ways even though the shop manual says to attach to the backing plate first. The space to insert a screwdriver or needle nose is very limited. The front shoe spring attached just fine using a wire loop but there are two springs on that rear shoe, the top one heavier than the bottom...which one did you attach first and what type of wire are you using? Mine (steel , approx. 20 ga.) just keeps breaking under the tension. Trial and error...
Cheers, Sandy
1975 710K
1971 700/APL (NA)
BobV
United States of America

Post by BobV »

I got a drum brake tool kit off of Amazon. Has spring & adjusting tools. Not the best quality but functional. I had a kit similar years ago but with disk brakes didn't need it. Loaned it out or lost it over time. Really saves alot of time & aggravation. Very affordable. Highly recommend it.
BobV 76 Swiss 710k
Sandy
Canada

Post by Sandy »

I appreciate the advice of a brake drum tool kit however the springs on the Haflinger brakes differ from those on the Pinz....
Had to take a break :D from my efforts but will be back at it in due course. Maybe piano wire...
1975 710K
1971 700/APL (NA)
Sandy
Canada

Post by Sandy »

All back together again! Used a loop of piano wire that could take the tension and abrasion without breaking. Installed the lower spring first which gave me enough room to grab the free end of the upper spring. Now I just have to make a note to myself for future reference. :roll:
Thanks to those who commented in an effort to help!
1975 710K
1971 700/APL (NA)