Haflinger Rear Axle

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Garrycol
Australia

Haflinger Rear Axle

Post by Garrycol »

I have both rear hubs on my Haflinger apart while sorting a stripped large hub cog. While assembling one side the axle on the other side slipped out a couple of inches and of course it will not go in - still seems connected at the diff end but will not go back in. I know what a pain it is to get the inner end of the axle back into the slot in the diff when everything is apart - so looking how to fix with everything still assembled.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Haflinger Rear Axle

Post by TechMOGogy »

This is what your trying to go into so I assume you just keep rotating until it slots in, would need to move the swing arm up and down at the same time
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Thanks Dan - Exactly - I have had the complete front assemblies apart and always put the axle back in with the swing arm loose and it was a pain then with everything apart. I have not had the rears apart as yet and I don't want too.

I hadn't thought about moving the swing arm up and down and I will try that. I am trying to psych myself up to go out and sort it but I am looking for reasons not too - maybe I will have another cup of coffee and think about it some more and procrastinate more :?

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Just went out and tried - no luck. The end of the axles is interacting with the diff but it will not go all the way in or come out :cry:

When doing the front some time back I had a similar issue where one of the square "stones" that sit on the yoke at the end of the axle and fit into the slots in the diff came off and was sitting inside preventing the axle going all the way in.

I thought the same might have happened here but looking at the parts manual, it only has the stones on the front axles and not the rears - but given the pic above with the slots in the diff I am not sure how the rear axle locks into those slots in the diff.

I will start dismantling now - as I have the screw up split swing arm boots I will remove the boot first and see if that helps. If not then the lot will have to come out.

Austrian design ideas are great but their execution leaves a lot to be desired. Why not put an external CV on the diffs rather than an internal system is beyond me - and why not have a simple splined connection that the axle could push in is also beyond me.

Anyway - off to work I go. I am keeping my blood pressure monitor nearby so I can gauge when it is time to stop and chill out for a while. :lol:

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Rear has no stones from what I recall (took them apart a month ago or so). Great idea re the split boot - that may give you just enough visual to get it in. Pic of my rear shafts:
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Thanks for confirming no stones on the rear - I might then go an persevere - just removed the gearbox/sump protection guard and about to do the muffler - logically if I can turn the axle and not have the diff move I should find the spot where the yoke lines up - but when I turn the axle the diff turns - if I put the gear box into gear all is locked up as it should be if the axle is in place but it is not.

Of I go again - to have another go.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

I went out and removed the rear right hand swing arm boot - these are much easier to remove than get back on.

And I could see the end of axle - mine does have the stones - you can just see them in this pic taken from directly underneath.

Looking back at Dan's pics and noting the relative size of the the yoke and the size of the actual driveshaft, clearly his are not deigned for stones but mine does have them with the of the stones being about the same size as the round protrusions on Dan's shafts.

So clearly there must be two styles of axle, one with the round protrusions that Dan has and mine with stones - I like Dan's better. Can someone please clarify.

Anyway - I had the typical issue with the square stone in that the flat sides are supposed to fit into the slots as shown in Dan's pic above but as usual when the axle comes out too far the stones twist 45 degrees so they will not longer fit - they still lock in but the axle cannot go home.

As the axle was generally in the correct position I was able to use a screwdriver to move the stones to the approximate position and the axle went home.

Sounds easy doesn't it but I can tell you I must have tried the mentioned process about 100 times before the planets all aligned and it all went in.

So the lesson for the day is do not let your axles slide out a bit and your stones will get misaligned and cause you no end of grief - unless of cause you have axles like Dan's where I am sure they will just pop straight back in.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Garry,
According to the parts manual, there is only one version of the front and rear differentials respectively. All used a pair of connecting blocks ("stones" P/N: 501.1.3474). One could certainly modify the original design by replacing the square blocks with either a slip-on collar/bushing/caged roller bearing of the appropriate I.D. and O.D. My only concern would be the potential localized peening of the parallel slot surfaces normally mated to the flat sided blocks.
Hope this helps.

Take care.
Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Hi Jim - I agree - what threw me was the relevant page in the parts manual that could be read to imply that the stones are just on the front shafts. But I agree it is just how you read these type of diagrams.

I think there should be a dotted line form the stone on the front shaft to where it also go on the rear shaft

1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Thanks to Dale from Haflinger Technik I have found out why my axle was able to slip out. At the hub end of the swing arm there is a bearing that supports the end of the axle and this is held in place with a circlip that also prevents the axle sliding out an inch or so.

When working on the hubs I did notice that there was a circlip on the failed hub but not on the other but didn't think much of of it as when assembled the circlip doesn't do much.

When I have the hubs apart next I will replace the circlip.

So thanks to Dale for his advice on this.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"
Sandy
Canada

Post by Sandy »

The parts manual is a bit confusing when looking at the picture, but if you check the "required no." for the bushings (stones) you will see that it (the truck) requires 8 - i.e. 4 per axle.
Cheers,
Sandy
1975 710K
1971 700/APL (NA)
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

All's well that end's well! Well done Gary, perseverance has paid off over weirdly executed Austrian design!

John