Fuel Problems

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

rockymtnshepherds
United States of America

Fuel Problems

Post by rockymtnshepherds »

I put my first full tank of gas in my haffy and at speeds of over 25MPH for a mile or more I am experiencing fuel starvation. It dies slowly. The engine starts back up but soon goes through the same cycle of issues if I try driving it again more than a few hundred feet. I had been running around our property for long periods of time with no issues before I tried the open roads at higher speeds. I was thinking fuel filter or pump and maybe dirty lines but wanted to ask the group? Thanks for any input.
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Re: Fuel Problems

Post by Hotzenplotz »

have you checked the fuel level in the carbs. maybe too low....
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Also check the fuel pump, even if its showing normal flow/pressure at idle, it may not deliver adequate flow at higher engine speeds. The engine may start and idle fine, but then stall at higher speeds. If the engine starts right back up after stalling, the likely cause is low fuel volume due to a weak pump. Take a bit to stall as the bowls get filled at low speed and then run dry = stall.
If filter has not been changed then do it to get it off the list (plus it is only a few bucks).
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Well, the first place to start with fuel starvation problems is the petrol tank.

The petrol cap has holes round the outside edge of the gasket to allow air to get in, but also prevent fuel from splashing out. So check the lid by loosening it by half a turn and see if you still get the same symptoms on the road.

If that doesn't solve things then next on the list is the fuel pipe.
Undo it in the engine compartment on the tank side of the filter and see if you can "suck" petrol through the pipe - Obviously PETROL is Dangerous so make your self a jar with a lid and two pipes going in to it. One pipe you connect the the petrol pipe, the second you can suck on - petrol will flow into the jar and not your mouth! BUT the petrol fuse are just as Dangerous / horrible so I would really advise on a syringe to do the "sucking"!!!

Next make sure you filter is clean - reconnect the petrol pipe as far as the pump - take the pump exit pipe and point it to fill you glass jar. Now turn the engine over on the Dynastart - it should pump fuel relatively fast and with minor pulsing in the flow.

Next on the list is the Carb.

Take the float chamber off and with the fuel pipe connected up, try turning the engine over on the Dynastart and catching the fuel that comes out of the float chamber valve. ( With two people, you could try lifting the floats and seeing if it stops the fuel flow).

Next are all the jets in the Carb, Take them out and use a can of compressed air to blow each of them clean.

If problems persist, change the fuel hoses for new ones as it is possible the internal diameter has become reduced in size so although it lets fuels through at low speeds, it does not allow the volume needed at higher speeds.

If you still have apparent fuel starvation problems, then it is likely to be the fuel pump not pumping the fuel fast enough. Other than having a replacement mechanical pump you could try an electric pump.

Hopefully these things will at the very least point you in the right direction if they don't actually pin point the problem.

John
rockymtnshepherds
United States of America

Thanks to you all for your input. I will work my way through the list of items offered....starting with the fuel filter (and gas cap check). Is there a NAPA part # for the fuel filter?
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

John has posted a great trouble shooting list. I would only add to check the float level in the cab fuel bowl. It could set too low and you are exhausting the fuel in the carb faster than it is being replaced. The manual should have the float level.

Cheer, Clive
rockymtnshepherds
United States of America

Does anyone have the NAPA part # for the fuel filter?
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

rockymtnshepherds wrote:Does anyone have the NAPA part # for the fuel filter?
Are you looking for the replacement cartridge that goes in the glass bowl or just a replacement filter?
rockymtnshepherds
United States of America

I was looking for the filter itself but it would be good to hear about the cartridge as well. Thanks!
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Well my truck just had a regular $5 fuel filter on it from any auto store 6-8 mm tubing if I remember correctly
The original looked like this a took a cartridge
rockymtnshepherds
United States of America

Thanks. First Haffy, I have had a 710M, 712M, C303 and a TGB 1111. I am trying to figure out what parts for the haffy are interchangeable with the Pinzgauer and it seems like a few are the same. This may spawn another thread for the moderator :D