Broken tooth on end of crank

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

audiocontr
United States of America

Broken tooth on end of crank

Post by audiocontr »

I have a couple of haflinger's so twice as much fun to post about. I'm starting to enjoy my more beat up haffie as i'm less concerned about scratching/breaking. Its more fun to drive, and less to worry about... just not as pretty.

The Dyna Starter acts a little funky every once in a while. It will start immediately, or it will hit a bad point in the starter and require a little rock back and forth to get it to engage. I was going to give it a spin with the hand crank and noticed one of the teeth is broken off the crank (not the handle, but the crank receiver portion)

Is that portion of the crank, part of the pulley, or actually part of the crankshaft?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
pinzi
Belgium

Re: Broken tooth on end of crank

Post by pinzi »

Hi
Its part of the nut That holds the pully on the crankshaft :wink:
off-road until i die
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

It's a nut as already posted. You can replace it or just take it off and get a new "wing" welded on, I doubt you will want to use the hand crank very often to start the Haflinger unless you are going to allow the Dynastart to fail electrically and just provide the cooling air, in which case it would be better to disconnect it completely and rely on some other electrical source to charge the battery e.g. solar panels.

I agree, a slightly battered i.e. not factory refurbished condition Haflingers are far more fun to drive - as you say you stop worrying about the odd scratch or dent.

I dare say those who have done a complete nut and bolt restoration are worried they will "damage" their now expensive investment, rather than thinking, it was designed to be used on less than perfect terrain and in less than perfect conditions.

John
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

excellent, so i could get a new one (if i can find one)
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)