Haflinger Engine Idle - Carb

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Garrycol
Australia

Haflinger Engine Idle - Carb

Post by Garrycol »

Posted this over on the TheHaflinger Forum but thought I would also post here to pick up the Pinz and Mog expertise on the Zenith NDIX Carb.

I am doing a tune on my engine and need to set the idle mixtures. I have the engine warmed and the idle mixture screws wound out half a turn and idle upped to about 900RPM so that I can adjust the idle mixture screws to get max revs.

However I cannot get a stable idle - in approx a 25secs cycle the revs increase dorm about 900rpm up to about 2400rpm and then back down to around 900 RPM then back up and down again - over and over. The accelerator cable is not attached and the carb is doing this all by itself. See this youtube vid - you get the idea in the first 50 secs or so. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDgyuyURAVk

John over on TheHaflinger Forum suggested that air may be getting in so I completely dismantled the carb and cleaned everything with carb cleaner and compressed air - nothing abnormal found - all gaskets are good, butterefly spindles are good, no dirt or corrosion so there is no obvious place for air to get in.

So I am looking to ideas from people with NDIX experience on what might be going on here.

Thanks

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
Tjerk
South Africa

Re: Haflinger Engine Idle - Carb

Post by Tjerk »

And the governor linkage?
Tjerk
Garrycol
Australia

Re: Haflinger Engine Idle - Carb

Post by Garrycol »

I do not have a governor on this engine - completely removed.
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"