Engine rebuild

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Engine rebuild

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Green machine got it's new engine running today, what a blast to drive with full power :twisted: Just a few more things to do and it will be on the road again.
I'll be putting the engine together for another Hafie with high compression pistons later this week.

It will be good to have a fresh engine to compare against 8)
Last edited by Jim LaGuardia on Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I'm sure I don't have to tell you Jim, but watch any pre-detonation (pinging)....Haffy motors DO NOT like it!
Back in the early 80's I fitted a factory standard set of high compression pistons to the Haffy. I had a little bit of pinging, which I eventually managed to tune out....or so I thought!
That motor ran, as sweet as a nut, for years till I eventually stripped it down for whatever reason (I can't remember why) and I was horrified to find the central internal rib had cracked and completely broken away from the casing.....hence the central stud was just floating!
It must have been like that for some time as the oil had permiated and discoloured the cracked surface quite deeply (I still have that stud and casing bit somewhere as a momento), but the strange thing was that motor never made any strange sounds or noises ....and not long before I'd taken it over to, and driven it around, the Flinders Ranges for 3 weeks. That was a 3500 km trip in itself!
I would have been stuffed it it had let go in the middle of the Flinders because at times we were hundreds of km from anywhere!
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com