Unleaded Fuel

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

SAM. C.

Unleaded Fuel

Post by SAM. C. »

Hi All

I have just bought a Haflinger and I would like to know if I can run it on unleaded fuel? I also have a Pinzgauer which I run on unleaded but every few tankfulls I add some addative. Can I do the same with the Haflinger?

Thanks

Sam
Garrycol
Australia

Re: Unleaded Fuel

Post by Garrycol »

Bump on this thread.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but this is what came up in search.

I also have just bought a Haflinger and would like to know if it is OK on straight unleaded fuel or do I need to add upper cylinder lubricant.

Thanks

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
pathfinder700ap
Austria

Post by pathfinder700ap »

I have read discussions about this several times in different forums and it seems noone can give a proper answer. Personally, I would add additive to make sure nothing gets damaged, even if it is a slow or very slow process and might not happen anyway.

Kind regards,
Constantin
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

I am having my Hafy rebuilt with new rings and BMW valves. I would assume that if the valves are stalite and made for unleded gas I should be fine. Stock valves on the otherhand should probably have the additive added.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Of course most engines designed in the 50s and 60s were designed to have lead in them but when unleaded came in the general rule of thumb was that if the engine had alloy heads they could run on unleaded as alloy was too soft for valve seats so hardened valved were used as standard whereas cast steel/iron heads the valves generally sealed on the head material.

So as the haffie has alloy heads unleaded should be OK but as no one seems to be able to confirm this, I guess I will use valve saver to be sure. I have a vacuum system at home that auto feeds the additive into the inlet manifold so I will fit that.

Cheers

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

westernair wrote:I am having my Hafy rebuilt with new rings and BMW valves. I would assume that if the valves are stalite and made for unleded gas I should be fine. Stock valves on the otherhand should probably have the additive added.
It is not the valves that are the problem - it is the material that the valve seats are made of. If you engine is pulled down I would be looking at what unleaded valve seats you can use - will the BMW ones fit in the Haffie heads.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"