Steering Bos Info

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Doug Lennox

Steering Bos Info

Post by Doug Lennox »

:( Still trying to work out the year of my Haflinger. I have found a decal on the side of the steering box which has the Fabr Nr. as 534249 7 69. Would that mean that the steering box was made in July 1969 and does this line up with the Haflinger year model? Any info would be muchly appreciated. Thanks :D
Doug

A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work!

67 Haf
rustywheel2004

Post by rustywheel2004 »

Hi Doug,
Someone may correct me on this but I'm quite sure there is no relation between the steering box plate and the Haflinger numbers. The steering box was an OEM item purchased under contract by Steyr-Puch. The numbers look similar by coincidence only as this was a common format used by many manufacturers at the time. The "7 69" may indicate a dateline but likely does not. If you post the motor and/or chassis number for your Hafi I may be able to give you an approximate date of manufacture from my database.
Cheers,
Steve
1971 NA 700AP
Doug Lennox

Post by Doug Lennox »

Steve,
The engine number is 5362991 and the chassis number is 5361250. I have had a bit of feedback from Haflinger Technik and they beleive it to be 1969 or 1970. The reason that I am trying to find out is because the VIN plate is missing. I was told by the person I bought it from that it was a 1966-7 vintage.

Thanks
Doug

A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work!

67 Haf
rustywheel2004

Post by rustywheel2004 »

Hi Doug,
Dale is correct with the date of your Hafi. It was built in early to mid 1970. Your numbers are only a very few newer than my truck which was built late in 1969 (confirmed by Steyr-Puch). The MoT here had registered my Hafi as a 1971 as that was the year it was first sold as new. Other than some early Series 1 type, I have never seen an original build plate that included a date so even if you still had yours it would not likely have helped you. Incidently, I saw an eBay listing somewhere this week with new build plates for sale.
Cheers,
Steve
1971 NA 700AP
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

My 71 NA 700AP Bug eye Haflinger has the production date on the dash tag along with the vin number and DOT conformity statement.
Do any other non US Bug eyes have a dash tag too, or it used on US models only?
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
rustywheel2004

Post by rustywheel2004 »

Hi Jim,
The conformity tag is on US Hafi's only. It was applied after the truck arrived stateside. The date stamped on this plate is when the vehicle landed in the US and may vary somewhat from the actual date of manufacture. The adoption of the plate began about 1968 or 1969 along with the US rules for more side reflectors, heavier roll bar, reverse light and 2 circuit brake system. The US "Bugeye" Haf is different from Canadian Bugeye's in several respects due to these regulations.
Cheers,
Steve
1971 NA 700AP
francislandry

Post by francislandry »

Steve,
I have a 72 NA 700AP and was wondering what all the differences were between the US and Canadian versions were. Do you know what all the differences are?
Francis
rustywheel2004

Post by rustywheel2004 »

Hi Francis,
The differences between US & Canadian Bugeyes are subtle prior to 1968. The US adopted new vehicle minimum standards in 1968 which forced changes to all new Hafis arriving stateside. Canada was much slower in tightening things up. Here is a list of the major differences, some of which were due to regulations and some due to the primary importer's preference.
-US used vertical mount Lucas L795 taillights whereas Canada had horizontal Lucas L691
-US have a 2 circuit brake master cylinder on later models
-US have circuit breakers (importer preference). I have only seen 1 Canadian Hafi (polycab) with breakers.
-US have a heavier square tube roll bar (Swiss army)
-US have medium rate rear springs (as used on 703AP) on all models
-US have rectangular side reflectors/indicators on both front & rear. Canada has small Carello button type side indicators on the front only
-US have rear mount reverse light
-US have 2-speed windshield wipers on later models
-US have 4-way emergency flashers on later models
-US models have a vehicle US conformity data plate installed either on the left cowel side or dash (installed by importer)

I think that covers most of the key points.
Cheers,
Steve
1971 NA 700AP
rustywheel2004

Post by rustywheel2004 »

Two other differences that I forgot to list are:
-US have a tubular front bumper on later models
-US have "Pathfinder" badging on later models

The Canadian importer sold several Haf's to US customers and still more made their way to US homes later. Thus late model Canadian spec Haf's are commonly found in the US.
Steve
1971 NA 700AP
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Thus late model Canadian spec Haf's are commonly found in the US.
They are also found in Australia, as when SDP notified their worldwide distributors that Haflinger production was to/had ceased, Barry Jones (the Australian Haflinger and Pinzgauer agent) managed to get a shipment of 30, US specification built Haflingers "side-tracked" to Australia.

The very last Haflinger sold new in Australia was actually a US spec vehicle.

Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
rustywheel2004

Post by rustywheel2004 »

Hi Peter,
I've noticed that some of the data plate numbers on Haf's in Australia are VERY close to some of our local machines in Canada. I assume that these Aussie machines were from the re-directed shipment.
Steve
1971 NA 700AP
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

G'Day Steve,
I'd guess a lot of the Haffy's in Canada and the US are virtually from the same production lot / "family".

The last Haflinger sold in Australia was not actually assembled until some years after production had ceased.
I remember regularly visiting the Australian distributors in the 70's and early 80's (to get parts etc for my Haffy etc) and seeing the CKD package sitting up in the storage area above the office.
That same vehicle was sold at an auction in the country about 10+ years ago, but I lost track of it after that, however I believe that same vehicle may now belong to a gentleman in NSW.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
rustywheel2004

Post by rustywheel2004 »

Hi Peter,
That Hafi was probably the last new unit sold anywhere. It would be very nice to keep track of it and ensure it is preserved.
How are the Hafi numbers holding up Downunder? You had about 740 imported in total. That's pretty good odds that there should be quite a few remaining. They're getting very hard to find here in Canada now.
Steve
1971 NA 700AP