Drag link replacement

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

pinzinator

Drag link replacement

Post by pinzinator »

I had a bad drag link in my Haflinger, here's how I replaced it. First, order the replacement drag link. I bought a '74 Mercedes 240D tie rod assembly, here is the link-http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/M ... 6+Steering
You will have to shorten the adjusting sleeve by 2.25" and tap the end with a 14 X 1.5 tap.

Here is the old drag link. I used a pickle fork to remove it.

This is the old link next to the new one. The ends are exactly the same. If you want to replace all tie rod ends at the same time order 3 assemblies. The adjusting sleeves are too short for the tie rods, but ordering the assembly is cheaper than ordering 2 ends.

New link installed. There's zero play in the steering now! Total cost was about $60, I bought the tap at NAPA. Note the oversize inner tie rod end. This was installed before I found out that the 240D assembly had the right part. I plan on changing this soon, and you benefit from my mistake!
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

How the hell did you figure out that cross reference!? Well done!
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I did the cross reference with a combination of 1) a call to the manufacturer (not much help), 2) using my dial caliper to measure the stud, 3) luck, as there are many variations of tie-rod ends. Even the Europeans could not make a recommendation, which did not deter me. When I ordered the Mercedes tie rod assembly I was gambling as to whether or not it would work, and it fit perfectly.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

UPDATE- I replaced both left side tie-rod ends with the Mercedes versions over the weekend, now I have sports car handling up front to go along with the panty-dropping 27 horsepower in the back!