Tune-up problem

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

pinzinator

Tune-up problem

Post by pinzinator »

I just restored a '64 Austrian Series 1, including a rebuilt engine. Everything was new in the fuel/ignition system, except the distributor and cap. Tank cleaned, new fuel lines, etc.
After about 30 miles on the truck it started to lose power, like a fuel starvation problem. Knowing most fuel problems are electrical, I went over the entire ignition system, all was OK.
Next the fuel lines were replaced (again), and it ran OK for about 3 miles, then less power than before. Off came the carb, it was like new since it was just rebuilt. Still no power. Electric fuel pump did nothing. I was stumped!
Back to the ignition system. Timing good. New coil OK. Wires OK. Plugs and points OK.
Last on the list was the condenser, which was also new. Without proper test equipment I gambled $7 that this new device was no good (the engine would run OK, then run bad, then OK, then bad). Sure enough, changing the condenser solved everything and the Haflinger runs like new again.
I've been working on engines since High School and never had one frustrate me like this one did! And to think that the Haflinger engine is about as simple as a lawn mower, without the magneto.
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Thank you for sharing that..offtimes members post problems ask for help which they recieve and then disappear into the woodwork until the next problem arrives..leaving us all...in the dark about the resolution to the problem...and expanding our depth of knowledge on the symptoms and fixes of our vehicles...simply put....share your expieriences!!!
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

After 30+ years as a mechanic,I can't tell you how many times I've been led the wrong way when diagnosing a problem with a "new" part! Good call!
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy