Engine for Haflinger

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

essayons07

Engine for Haflinger

Post by essayons07 »

I have the opportunity to get a Haflinger without an engine and was wondering if it will be too much trouble than it is worth to find a suitable powerplant. I would end up having about $3,400 invested in the vehicle as-is...

Thank you in advance for info and advice...

Jeff
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Lets put it this way..just recently found two haflingers sold on ebay that were clean, non rusty, and in perfect running condition one sold for 7k and the other about 6k...since the engine and running gear are probably the hardest parts to find I would think that your find at 3400 is not a bargain at all unless someplace in this world there is someone out there with a cheap used engine..just dosent seem likely
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

People have put in other motors; however the small engine compartment doesn't fit any easily obtainable engines and thus it needs to be modified. In addition, adapters may be needed that would make the retrofit $$$. If you put in a much more powerful engine, you will also run the risk of breaking many parts that were not designed for this as well as most, if not all the bones in your body. I point this out because the brakes are not all that capable, and if you get your Haflinger going much more than 40 mph, you may not be able to stop.

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
a.k.a. Phlyphysher, Greg, & Clamphysician
1967 Swiss Haflinger, 1975 Volvo C303
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Jeff,

Warren Cross recently had a complete engine (minus 180mm flywheel) for sale as he was converting his Haflinger to electric. I am not sure if he is a member of this forum or if that motor is still available. If you keep your eyes open on the various European eBay sites, complete engines do come up from time to time. Obviously, you would then have to deal with international shipping.

If your $3400 find includes an excellent body, driveline, upholstery, tires, etc. or is one of the more rare Kommunal/Polycab trucks, spending the extra money needed to restore the truck to fully functional status would be worth the $$$. If you are dealing with a mechanically unsound truck or a true rust bucket(or both), you may be very disappointed with your purchase.

Can you post some photos of this diamond int he rough?

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com