Engine died while hot....

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

OhioPinz

Engine died while hot....

Post by OhioPinz »

I have not installed the Pertronix kit yet, though I have one. But, I was out and about when it died after about 30 minutes. Sputtered, died. Recovered it back to shop and then it started and runs fine, though I have driven it far again. Condenser? Coil? Should I just install the Pertronix and hope it solves the problem?
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Re: Engine died while hot....

Post by Jim Molloy »

OhioPinz,
During our Haflingertreffen at Lake Shasta in 2010, a couple of the trucks required installation of low pressure (2-3psi) fuel pumps to remain operational. The combination of altitude, higher temps, ethanol mixed in the fuel and poorly functional mechanical pumps can all conspire to stop you in your tracks. The addition of the Pertronix will help in the ignition department but I suspect your problem is a fuel delivery deficit due to intermittent vapor lock. To my knowledge, all ex-Swiss Army Haflingers were eventually fitted with electrical fuel pumps.

Hope this helps.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I had a new condensor that was no good, that gave a rough idle and a misfire when the engine was revved. Cheap fix, but difficult to isolate the problem.
OhioPinz

Post by OhioPinz »

Yes, I've had similar problems with condensers. I'm hoping the Pertronix install solves whatever caused the problem. I will know after the weekend. Thanks, all.
OhioPinz

Post by OhioPinz »

OK, installed Pertronix, set timing, it now starts and runs great- better than before- but after only 5-6 minutes, same problem: it sputters and dies. Will restart after a few minutes, then dies again. Help. It's getting fuel. Coil? Carb?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

when it dies, take off the carb top(bowl cover) and see if fuel is present.
Could be a dirty, varnished or sticking float valve. If it is a 1 barrel carb, the float may be sinking/leaking.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
OhioPinz

Post by OhioPinz »

I believe my problem is solved: a cracked insulator on sparkplug. Replaced both plugs, and it now runs great. Keep that in mind, everybody! Thanks for the help.