Weight distribution

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

pinzinator

Weight distribution

Post by pinzinator »

Does anyone have figures on the weight distribution on a Haflinger? In other words, how much weight is on the front axle and the rear axle individually. I'm sure the rear has more weight due to the engine.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Re: Weight distribution

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Here is a reliable starting point, short wheel base(standard model) is 1416lbs , so 708 lbs each end or 354lbs per wheel. However, if 60% of the weight is in the rear then 70lbs would move from the front to the back putting 556 lbs on front axles(278 lbs each front tire) and 849.6 lbs on rear axles or (424.8lbs each rear tire)
You will find the max load is listed in operators manual (1364lbs front axles), and (1540 lbs rear axles).
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

My Haflinger sagged in the rear because I had the springs reversed. I installed them the way they came out, so the owner before me may have done it first. Anyway, I have the springs in the correct position and now it sits level. The front and rears are slightly different, the rears being about 3/8" taller.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Suspension ? Mine is low on the drivers side. Considering switching springs Lt to Rt. Are they interchangeable? Kinda remindes me of old Jeeps,can't have that!
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Measure each spring under vehicle weight, then measure again with the weight off. That should help you pair them up. The springs that compress the least should go in the rear, and they should both be slightly longer with no weight. Using this method you may only have to switch 2 of them.
Steyr had several different springs available, 3 or 4 I believe.