Hafy rings, valves and guides

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

BerndTJ

Re: Hafy rings, valves and guides

Post by BerndTJ »

Steyr puch fans must together keep - worldwide!
We did like :D
Steyr-Puch Haflinger Swiss Army 1962
Steyr-Puch Pathfinder 1972
http://sahler-bernd.wixsite.com/haflinger-verdeck
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

I love finding NOS parts. The intake manifold is for a webber carbed hafi. The tail light is for my Pinz.

Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Recently speaking to the previous owner of my Haffie who did a major rebuild on the engine a couple of years ago. I found out that my engine is 762cc and has 87mm bore courtesy of VW pistons and "Marley" barrels (what are these??). The engine was fully rebuilt but I do not know what other enhancements like valves etc were done to the engine.

It has a larger Solex 34 PCI carby and a 123/Fiat Electronic ignition system and a larger exhaust from the manifold back.

I have no idea what sort of extra power it makes and cannot compare it to another Haffie as I have never driven another one - however what I can say it could still use more power - but then again things might get scary. The previous owner did say it will do 90kph on 14" tyres but as it is not registered for road use I have not been able to see if this is true. One thing I have noticed is that the engine does load up and when in the wrong gear - like climbing a hill offroad in 2nd when you should be in 1st - it overfuels and is sooting up the spark plugs and takes a little while to clear - goes Ok in 1st though but I have yet to master the knack of being able to select 1st when I want rather than just occasionally.

Cheers

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Try Google with Mahle barrels
http://www.mahle.com/MAHLE/en/Home_EN

That is a nice surprise to find out about your Hafi!
I find I only use 1st gear going down steep hills - otherwise I am in 2nd going up steep stuff
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Thanks - I had tried google but with the spelling I had and drew a blank.

We often are critical of the power of a Haffie engine but in researching what VW etc that my pistons were out off I looked at the power outputs of VW engines of around 1200 - 1300cc from the same era and see that the power output of the smaller (late model) Haffie engine was very competitive with a VW engine of twice the size and of other similar engines in other makes. So I think the designers did a pretty good job with the engine.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I guess in todays world it is all about top end speed.
There have only been a few times where I wish I had a little more speed or power but to be honest my Hafi keeps up with traffic just fine and can blast down ATV/snowmobile trails way faster that I need/want to go!
I can easily do 40mph (65kph) with the 13" rims and for me that is fast enough in a tiny Hafi!
Not sure what some people want to do in these vehicles - travel on a highway?? :shock: ??
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

40 is my top speed but the engine is capable of pushing her 60. Anything faster then 40 i would be afraid to flip It.
I like going up the steep hills in my neighborhood at or about the speed limit.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

I have only ever got my Haffie up to about 50kph and it feels absolutely dangerous at that speed - very unstable and twitchy in the steering so I agree that without major work on the brakes, suspension and wheels/tyres higher speeds are not a good idea - if you do these mods you then take away the character of the vehicle which then begs the question why have one.

I am surprised at the hard ride when off road but its small size and tight turning circle are a real bonus however it could use a bit more torque at low revs and a bit more stability. I am used to driving forward control vehicles as I have Landrover 101FC as well which can be hairy to drive in some circumstances but the Haffie is a lot worse but at least if it tips it is easy to tip back upright. I also find the Pinz compared to the landie positively dangerous stability wise when in steep offroad situations.

I suspect that my Haffie previous owner in enlarging the engine with 87mm pistons was looking to increasing that low down torque - certainly in my limited experience the engine on the road is not reving a lot higher before changing gears than you would with a standard engine and the max revs I have seen on the road is 4800rpm and I do not have a governor.

To change the basic character of the Haffie would be a shame - my Haffie fits in my box trailer and I did a test tow a couple of days ago and all went OK so I have no real need to do "high" highway speeds in mine.

Cheers

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"