Custom cylinders and pistons

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Jim Molloy
United States of America

Custom cylinders and pistons

Post by Jim Molloy »

Does anyone have any personal experience with these?

http://www.lnengineering.com/custom.html

I know Scott Ingham had a pair for sale several years ago. I am also aware that Raceway Services was opting to use aluminum Porsche cylinders over VW units on the Haflinger engines they are currently building.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Custom cylinders and pistons

Post by TechMOGogy »

Jim LaGuardia used these to build a Pinz motor a few years back
Shawn (western air) I am sure will have something to say about them as he is a big air cooled VW guy
Not sure if any Haflingers have been built using them??

Jim Molloy wrote:Does anyone have any personal experience with these?

http://www.lnengineering.com/custom.html

I know Scott Ingham had a pair for sale several years ago. I am also aware that Raceway Services was opting to use aluminum Porsche cylinders over VW units on the Haflinger engines they are currently building.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

There were 2 sets made. I have the 2nd set put away for my Haflinger when the time comes.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Jim,
Do you know if Scott ever used the other set? If so, what was the end result? How did the Pinzgauer versions perform?
Thanks for the information.
Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I am sure Jim will reply but most of it is here (pictures and video of it running)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4660
Dan
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Been busy. I did not get to run the other Haflinger nikkie motor, but it is still out there running somewhere.
As for the Pinz motor, it sounded like a race car engine, very crisp.
You must be extremely clean and dust free while assembling the pistons to cylinders as the clearances are very close.
I also had to do some minor mods to the fins for clearance around the case bolt heads and add the space between fins for the 3 retaining pins to drop through the lower tin.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

from what I have read, these would be a great upgrade for the Hafi, but one that would set you back a bit. Inbuilding my motor I went with the stought 40hp VW Pistons and cylinders. Cheap, plenty available and have better cooling fins.
Upgrading to bigger valves, a new # 5 cam and 2 1500cc pistons and cylinders is the direction I went if is designed to have full hp at 3000 rpm and max tork at just a bit more.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Looking good Shawn!

I saw that Leo built also just built a 750 cc, 87mm, #5 cam, dual barrel carb motor
Looks like it also was reaching peak 29 HP at 3000rpm on the dyno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB-uOWtXSP8

I don't know much about motors but do you think the cast VW heads you now have on your engine are better at cooling then the alum Nickies or are your new heads not cast?
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

I believe 100 % billet is better then cast in most cases. Regardless the greater volume of finds on a VW barrel allows more heat removal. While owning several VWs over the years these are readily available parts to replace if ever needed. Once you machine your block to accept these barrels then that is really your only option.

The debate of laminar flow vs turbulent flow for heat dissipation could be argued from both sides so in this case I will leave it at that. You decide which camp your in
Last edited by westernair on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Are the terms "heads" and "barrels" getting mixed up here? Seems confusing to me...
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

Thanks for the catch. Doing this from a cell phone most of the time i have a tendency to not re-read what I wrote.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Haf-e wrote:Are the terms "heads" and "barrels" getting mixed up here? Seems confusing to me...
I think it just proves my previous statement of "I don't much about motors" :mrgreen: Hopefully I know more that that but....
I also know Shawn knows a lot more than I ever will about VW/air cooled motors so it was just a primer question to get his take on the subject
Dan
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

westernair wrote:I believe 100 % billet is better then cast in most cases. Regardless the greater volume of finds on a VW barrel allows more heat removal. While owning several VWs over the years these are readily available parts to replace if ever needed. Once you machine your block to accept these barrels then that is really your only option.

The debate of laminar flow vs turbulent flow for heat dissipation could be argued from both sides so in this case I will leave it at that. You decide which camp your in
OK on a real computer.
A stock Hafi cylinder: cast but has less heat fins then a VW, but has worked for 50 years. Becomming harder and harder to come by.
A stock VW cylinder: Cast but more fins for better heat disipation then a Hafi Head. Still very ready available though once you this route you have to stay this rout
Nickie Cylinder Billet Aluminum, Way stronger for high compression motors, some belive the lack of casting granuals along the fins alows for better laminar flow of cooling air and inturn cools the cylinder faster. I am not sure but I suspect just like VW cylinders once you go to Nickies you have to stay with them. Availabilty and cost of these are what made me to decide to go with VW/porsche cylinders

Note: All 1600 and smaller VW's and type 1 Porsche motors use the same cylinders (size for size). The only exception it the beloved quad cam motor used in porsche spiders.

Aaahhh One day I will finish building my quad cam, it has only taken me 4 years to finally gather all the parts to put my 1500CC one together.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

The Haflinger Nikkies and pistons require no case or head mods, but the holes in the cooling tin may have to be adjusted with a round file.
Just hand lap them(barrels/cylinders) into the heads with fine compound just like the cast iron cyls, only as posted before, cleanliness is an absolute . The smallest of debris can do damage at start up due to close tolerance.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia