735cc custom Haflinger Motor on eBay (was on eBay)

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

TechMOGogy
Canada

735cc custom Haflinger Motor on eBay (was on eBay)

Post by TechMOGogy »

Auction is over but I was watching this one:
Guy built a 735cc motor with custom cam - not sure if he dyno'd it but claimed somewhere around 40hp
Sold yesterday for: $2359.23US + 100 for shipping worldwide.
Cheers,
Dan

Text of his auction:
"Engine .. complete except motor plates, intake manifold, carburetor, etc. see Photos
Engine block milled for VW cylinder 735ccm reassembled with new main bearings, rod bearings, installed special camshaft optimized for sporty drivers, there are shot-peened conrods with 22mm bushings, new piston + cylinder heads with valve sizes 35mm + 32mm
With these components approximately 40hp (would vary according carburetor and exhaust)"
Attachments
$(KGrHqN,!g8FDfjTCblwBRGjw2DLJQ~~60_12.jpg
$(KGrHqN,!g8FDfjTCblwBRGjw2DLJQ~~60_12.jpg (46.8 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
$(KGrHqR,!iwFDyokwewIBRGj)KZHv!~~60_12.jpg
$(KGrHqR,!iwFDyokwewIBRGj)KZHv!~~60_12.jpg (50.4 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
$(KGrHqF,!o8FEK!eTQOFBRGj)Cl!qg~~60_12.jpg
$(KGrHqF,!o8FEK!eTQOFBRGj)Cl!qg~~60_12.jpg (48.47 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
westernair
United States of America

Re: 735cc custom Haflinger Motor on eBay (was on eBay)

Post by westernair »

I watched this one and made 1 bid. I almost tried sniping it at the end but decided with all that is going on with my pinz and hafi it was not worth the dog house I would have been in once the wife found out.
Even with the missing parts that was a great deal for someone. I really question the 100 flat shipping though.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Garrycol
Australia

Re: 735cc custom Haflinger Motor on eBay (was on eBay)

Post by Garrycol »

When I bought my Haflinger off ebay last year the seller listed it as having a 735cc engine but I assumed that it was just a misprint. However I have since learned that my engine has a one off electronic ignition system that does not use the original distributor (a crank angle sensor and amplifyer in its place) and a twin coil pack rather than a single coil. I also believe that the owner "tinkered' with the engine with a different exhaust and modifications the the carby and inlet manifold (not sure exactly what was done). Then engine number is correct for the original engine.

As a result I am beginning to wonder whether the advertised engine capacity was actually correct. If this is the case would the engine have been modified using VW components or by any other means - is there anyway of identifying externally if the engien has in fact been modified this way.

I have the number of the person who build my Haffie the way it is now (not the person I bought it off who only had it 4 weeks) and am hoping to speak with him next weekend. If I do have a bit of background I will know the right questions to ask him on this issue.

Thanks

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"