Question about fuel pump block off

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

TechMOGogy
Canada

Question about fuel pump block off

Post by TechMOGogy »

So I am running an electric fuel pump and my engine simply has a small piece of flat metal with gasket maker bolted to where the old mechanical fuel pump would have been.
I saw this nicely made block-off but I can't figure out what the curved arm with hole at the end, that sticks into engine would be for??
Why not just flat steel?
Any ideas?
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Re: Question about fuel pump block off

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

That would be to hold the fuel pump lever(it rides on the cam). Look inside to see if it has been removed, if not then get the new cover or mod yours. It can only be removed while the case halves are apart.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I do have the arm in there and I guess it has been flopping around in there since it was blocked off the first time.
So, I will get the new one and its purpose is to hold the lever?
I ave done a few oil changes and I did not see any metal so hopefully that arm flopping around did no damage
Thx,
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I just left the original pump in place and blocked off the inlet/outlet. The electric pump works fine.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Ok I am just not getting it... :?
#30 is the fuel pump lever and #5 is the rod that I assume interacts with #30.
So how is having the new block-off cover with the metal bar and hole in it going to help me?
Seems to me if I install it then #30 will not be able to move but the cam will still be trying to move it and it will just bend or break something???
I don't see why I can't keep using a flat piece of metal and just let #30 do it's thing inside the engine case?
Sorry if I have missed the obvious here!
Thanks,
Dan
ps - I don't have the original pump - I have been running electric for 2 years with no issues - this is really just a question of why does the new block-off cover have that flat bar with hole in it.
Attachments
Desktop.jpg
Desktop.jpg (739.04 KiB) Viewed 4736 times
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Dan,

I am going to hazard a guess! (I don't KNOW of certain). The fuel pump cover you have got with extra arm and a hole is (I think) designed to go "over" the arm in the engine and so hold the leaver up off the cam - that way the cam continues to rotate and you do not lose the tiny extra bit of power required to make it go "up and down" and obviously stops the extra wear that occurs between too rubbing parts.

If that's wrong - I hope somebody who knows comes and shoots it down! Then I can amend it!

John
Last edited by Heinkeljb on Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

OK - now I get it!
Going to be like a race car now :mrgreen:
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

I see a problem with leaving the original cam / arm in place and just blocking off the hole the fuel pump rod went through with a plate that does not interfere with the fuel pump rocker arm.

The issue is that the fuel pump push rod would be applying a small amount of pressure to the fuel pump rocker arm which would keep the cam faces together. With no pressure on the fuel pump rocker arm, it is possible that at high(er) revs, that it could start "bouncing" which like valve bounce would not be good.

So overall, I think the "new and improved" plate with the arm / hook to hold the fuel pump rocker arm off the cam is a good idea.

John
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

You are correct, it holds the arm away from the cam (reducing clinking noise as it slaps off the cam) and prevents the arm from wear or breaking off.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Hmm - I also have an electric fuel pump and just have a plate over the hole - as I do not have any issues I guess I can assume it was done right and not pull the cover off just to have a look see.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Garrycol wrote:Hmm - I also have an electric fuel pump and just have a plate over the hole - as I do not have any issues I guess I can assume it was done right and not pull the cover off just to have a look see.

Garry
I would say no - I have been running my Hafi with no issues for a year and a half and only because I stripped the engine did I find the 'issue'
It is not the end of the world - it may just foam up the oil a bit