Restoration Project -Parts and advice wanted

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Restoration Project -Parts and advice wanted

Post by TechMOGogy »

cascade.king wrote:Is that at Pinzgauer Canada in Laval?
I think that's a Canadian unit.. 64-67.. Just a guess.
Agree looks like a Canadian unit
Year is hard but Mike has it about right is my guess :D
Steve Hill has forgotten more than I will ever know - he may chime in here re: Canadian spec model
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

I take it you know where to look for the chassis number on the Diff / Clutch housing flange? There may or may not be a chassis plate on the driver's / passenger side footwell(s). With the number it ought to be possible to date it more accurately.

John
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Here you go - a Harley Davidson 1200cc V2 should fit :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65OIusbf9fY
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Bit more on the "Varley" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcxHmbJ8VlE

Where's the fan to keep the engine cool'ish? Doesn't show how they got the gears connected, but then all they needed was a clutch!

John
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

Here are some more images.

I dried out the canvas and found out it is a full rear and front roof. The material is not the greatest but very few rips. Should make a great pattern for a new one. The doors have dried out. Material is better than the tarp. New windows will definitely be advisable.

Clive
Attachments
doorouter.jpg
doorouter.jpg (227.76 KiB) Viewed 7107 times
doorinner.jpg
doorinner.jpg (218.91 KiB) Viewed 7107 times
tarp rear.jpg
tarp rear.jpg (256.24 KiB) Viewed 7107 times
tarprright.jpg
tarprright.jpg (278.25 KiB) Viewed 7107 times
lefttarp.jpg
lefttarp.jpg (218.5 KiB) Viewed 7107 times
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Windows from something like this:-

http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/produc ... ndow-sheet

Could be hand sewn in if you have enough of an edge of the original window to attach it to, or unpick and replace as per the original.

Collecting the relevant spares starts now - tell all your friends they have to give you a "Haflinger" related present for Christmas this year (and the next, and the.....) :lol:

John
rustywheel2004

Post by rustywheel2004 »

Hi Clive,

Congrats on rescuing this Haf. It is a 1967 Canadian model with chassis number 5358594. This Haf was originally part of a small municipal fleet purchased new by the City of Quebec. All of the Hafs in that fleet were painted the orange colour that you now see it in. Some were ordered as original in that colour and others were repainted orange when sold to the the City of Quebec which makes them easily identifiable. This was unique for Canada as all other Canadian spec Hafs were red when they left the Puch factory. A couple of years back I had agreed to buy this truck from Karl but didn't have a means to transport it home at the time. I have the engine and several other pieces that I was able to salvage while at Karl's. The motor was not its original and has no serial number as it was a replacement short block from somewhere in its history. Sadly this engine was completely destroyed due to over-revving by an owner who thought it was better to not use the governor (probably to better turn the oversized tires). Let me know if you have any questions on your Haf or Canadian spec Hafs.
BTW, complete Haf engines are relatively easy to find and are not typically expensive so they are your best option. Also, the transmission in your Haf is in need of a complete rebuild as it is extensively worn so I would tackle that job before moving on to engine work.

Cheers,
Steve
1971 NA 700AP
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

This is as bad as trying to lift a Pinz!
pain to lift.jpg (360.11 KiB) Viewed 7017 times
pain to lift.jpg (360.11 KiB) Viewed 7017 times
Working a Haflinger is a great way to avoid boxing day shopping and enjoy the 11 degree (52 F) weather!
Attachments
I must remember to get the Hi-lift jack out from behind the Pinz when it comes out of storage. Although it is only 4 feet long.
I must remember to get the Hi-lift jack out from behind the Pinz when it comes out of storage. Although it is only 4 feet long.
finally up.jpg (333.03 KiB) Viewed 7017 times
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

Time to disassemble too! :mrgreen:
Attachments
Well now I understand why it won't steer!
Well now I understand why it won't steer!
broken steering.jpg (226.64 KiB) Viewed 7017 times
Time to talk to the expert welders.
Time to talk to the expert welders.
other steering part.jpg (248.56 KiB) Viewed 7017 times
Nose job can move indoors when the temp drops.
Nose job can move indoors when the temp drops.
nose front.jpg (274.53 KiB) Viewed 7017 times
Removing the full harness seemed a lot worse than splicing two groups of wires back together.
Removing the full harness seemed a lot worse than splicing two groups of wires back together.
nose back.jpg (298.46 KiB) Viewed 7017 times
As sexy as it gets!
As sexy as it gets!
topless.jpg (244.16 KiB) Viewed 7017 times
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

So you've started the long task of dismantling, hope you got a suitable shed to put all the pieces in whilst you fix things.
Depending on where you cut the wires, you could put in a multi-way plug and socket and just plug it together when you put the poor thing back together.

Start making a list of things you need to buy / fix / swap / paint as you take it apart, that way you won't be waiting for some part to arrive when you start putting things back together and find you had forgotten there was another bit involved. It will also help you plan which things to tackle first and might even give you a time scale for getting things done,

John
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

Good advise thanks, John. I like the multi-plug idea. I was originally thinking of soldering and shrink-wrapping.

Cheers, Clive
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Make sure it's a fully water proof one or you'll have no end of strange electrical problems!

Nasty broken bit you have there - do you know how it happened? Did someone try to take it off and end up using a hammer on it?

John
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

The steering box doesn't have any hammer damage so I don't think anyone smashed it. I think it was more likely a combination of the big tires and brute force. The steering wheel is fine and so is the bar it mounts too. It's a mystery. When I find my Pitman arm puller (it's in a safe place) I finish taking it off and see if the inner workings are damaged.
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

If the Haflinger is going to stay where it is whilst you dismantle it, I would suggest you buy a 8 foot by 4 foot sheet of shuttering (weatherproof) plywood to stick underneath it and so allow you to jack it up without sinking into the ground and to have a nice surface to lie on and put things down on without risk of losing them into the grass!

If you could manage two bits then you can get the whole wheel base off the grass. Then a smaller piece which you could use as "lie on" board along which ever side you are working on.

I have spent too many hours lying in damp grass under vehicles - not nice! You could also put a "pop-up" gazebo over it if you don't suffer from high winds, horrible having water drop in your face as you come out from under the vehicle. :wink:

John
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

Had some time recently to get the body off with the help of my son and a big crow bar.
Attachments
bodyoff.jpg
bodyoff.jpg (247.35 KiB) Viewed 6705 times