716/718 with Steyr Diesel

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
NM_Mogman

716/718 with Steyr Diesel

Post by NM_Mogman »

Does anyone happen to have more information on the engine & transmission setup for any of the Pinzies that had an Steyr Monoblock Diesel fitted? I only know of rumors of one or two floating around with that motor, but there is no mention of the transmission used. I just got my motor back in and running, but I am now at the largest oversized bore diameter and would need to source an engine from the UK, or a car from here in the States. IF anything should happen to my motor again, I think I would prefer to have an Steyr motor/trains ready to swap in ( assuming I can locate an GAZ 5601 or similar and get it brought back over the border of Canada or Mexico). I am going to contact Steyr (again) and see if they can help me out, but there is no better source I can think of than this great bunch of guys/gals! The following link has missing info where the transmission is concerned; http://www.steyr-motors.com/automotive/ ... 4-tca-170/

Any and all help is appreciated!
Phil
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: 716/718 with Steyr Diesel

Post by David Dunn »

A long , long time ago, on the TD group, a member had contact Steyr about the M16 for the Pinz, and iirc , it required a special oil pan to fit in the Pinz. Again, I think it was a cast part with one of the mount made into it. I have been recently doing some inquiries, and received some info that (though vague) make it seem the M14 or M16 engine was fitted or plans to fit them (after the 2.5) into the Pinz (or possibly the Vector), but I have nothing to support this other than references to a 3.2L 6 cylinder engine air charged / turbo'ed.

If it fits anything like the 2.5 TDI, you'll need to completely redo the doghouse.

If I had a 716/18 with a 2.4, I would take a serious look at the conversion Pinzmeister-uk did with a BMW diesel. :wink:

Dave
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
NM_Mogman

Post by NM_Mogman »

Dave,

It wouldn't surprise me to hear it was a one-off part that was never mass-produced, and that the next generation Pinzgauer will have redesigned the mounting points for everything...hopefully some good news will come along at some point. I wonder how hard it would be to get a part number for said cast oil pan? I really hadn't given much thought as to the size difference between the D24T and the M14. It looks pretty small, but dimensions would help so I better look.

I did talk to Pinzmeister-UK about that option, and it sounded promising. I searched for motors for a while and in the end, those diesels are hard to come by and cost a bit when you can find them. I don't know what the possibility of importing the motor and transmission would be. It sure would be nice to have that combo, though!

Thanks for that info,

Phil
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

The link above can be confusing. Though it said ATL for manufacturer, the pics are of Austrian made P90s. ATL did purchase the rights to Pinzgauer in the mid 1990s, they were continued to be made in Austria up to 2000. If you search pics of Pinzgauer 716 Shorty, you will see they mostly ( if not all) will have P90 radiator shrouds.
I have a doc with a 3.2L 6 cyl diesel added to bottom of the VIN breakdown sheet, after the 2.5 TDI. The Steyr M14 in the link could have been done in Austria in the 90's.
Pinzgauer's literature on the Web has been the re-using of TDs photos irregardless of what was currently being made. I don't know when the Pinzgauer badge on the grille was changed from SDP to the 'Pinzgauer " in the gear(see my avatar)..? 8)
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Peter in Australia might know more about the Steyr monoblock engine - he mentioned he discussed it with them at some point for his rebuild bu the cost of the motor was prohibitively expensive new.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
NM_Mogman

Post by NM_Mogman »

So, here is your basic dimensions and information for the Steyr 4&6cyl diesels:

M14 TCI/VTI. M16 TCI/VTI

L = 683 mm 26.89" L = 870 mm 34.25"
W = 598 mm 23.54" W = 684 mm 26.93"
H = 768 mm 30.24" H = 734 mm 28.89"

HP = 81/120 HP = 194/181
Max TQ/rpm 184@2,000/210@1,600 Max TQ/rpm 265@2,300/309@1,800

Rated speed (RPM) 3,800 Rated speed (RPM) 3,800
Max rated speed (RPM) 4,500 Max rated speed (RPM) 4,800

Weight (lbs): 394.62/394.62 Weight (lbs): 518.08/529.10
Lorenz

Post by Lorenz »

There was one Proto at end of the 5 Cylinder TDI time in GB with the M14 and a Mercedes Gearbox.
There is a small Panhard 4x4 with the same combination.

But the trials with this M14 Pinzgauer were stopped when the bigger Pinzgauer II was started in developping.
The M16 was planed for the Pinzgauer II but for the old small Pinzgauer 716/718 it would be too big/ heavy/ to much torque etc.

Cheers
Lorenz
Lorenz

Post by Lorenz »

Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

I have owned and driven, weekly if not daily, (20kms yesterday) a 1971 Pinz 710K that was converted by 'The pinzmeister'.........It uses, for simplicity and longevity, the OM602 5 cyl 2.4ltr normally aspirated engine.......Bad points, enormously big and heavy lump of metal, sloooow (90hp ???) (It also has the 5 speed dog-leg gearbox from the sprinter it was taken from .... ratio,s so bad that on hills I have become an adept 'twin stick' man.) Good points....always starts even in -30C and is very economical. (probably due to it's slow progress) but then I ask myself would I want the same 177BHP that I have in my Wrangler JK CRD.....in a much older and less stable vehicle with drum (albeit huge drums) braked vehicle. The Dog house has been re-worked considerably (but the Pinzmeister is clearly a meister when it comes to forming metal, my only issue has been that the dog house has to come off or almost, to change the oil filter) The sump pan is a Pinzmeister special and was re made to fit, no issues or worrying leaks there. If my OM602 ever goes terminal, then being in Poland I will probably try to find an 'Andoria 4C or 4CT90' (2.4 very sprightly(even Normall aspirated, Polish made diesel engine - have one in my UAZ 469b and would say it is better than any of the older Landrover Diesels (even the 2.5) If not then one of the VW diesels with less electronics will suffice. The front Springs will heave a sigh of relief. I would always try to go for a lighter engine or put new front springs in.....I saw those Yanmar/Kubota Jeep conversion vids on YT.....I have a Yanmar tractor and have been very impressed with how it punches above its weight and did wonder (with my useage, no motorways and few fast roads) So I have wondered if a small turbo diesel engine might be the way to go? I,m sure my pinz would not be so 'twitchy' with all that weight off the front. Edit: The only problems I have had, have been with cooling.....Poland cold?? nope 30C here in summer.....I had to add a supplementary radiator to keep things happy, in UK the Pinz was fine with Pinzmeisters set up.....did 200miles in one day all motorway, no problems. I should have had a 2 row radiator made or an enormously powerful fan.....I think the problem really is that the little air tunnel can not shift enough air away from the radiator.
Aiming to introduce UK Politicians to Piano wire and Lamposts!