Oils

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
NM_Mogman

Oils

Post by NM_Mogman »

Hello all,

I have been searching for info as to the preferred oils people are using in their 716/718's, and I am not having the best of luck with that.

The parts supplier I used when rebuilding my motor had the following recommendations:

- Rotella synthetic 5w40 (blue bottle) or
- Mobil 1 0w40

Anyone care to add their preferred gear oils? It would be nice to have it all together in one place for future reference, especially since probably not everyone is using the recommended Glygoyl 30....

Thanks,
Phil
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: Oils

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

As always, Redline MT90 in the transmission for all these trucks.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

VW diesels will eat their camshafts if you don't run full synthetic. Rotella T6 is great! Look for CF or better rating. The owners manual should specify the minimum able grade. T6 is a now at CI if I remember correctly before my morning coffee. As for weight, go with the heaviest possible for your temperature conditions. Start-up fuel economy is not worth engine strain. T6 5w-40 would be best. I just checked the Rotella site and they have a $5 per jug coupon offer right now.

Cheers, Clive

PS My VW diesel's 16 year old cam has nearly 200,000 miles on it and looks like new!
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:As always, Redline MT90 in the transmission for all these trucks.
This 718, along with the majority of the TDs made have ZF automatic trans, and not manual ones.

Phil,
With a fresh engine, I'd probably stay with a synthetic oil. Or see what the Volvo owners were using in their old 2.4TD

On one of the threads, Prof Pinz had sourced an alternative to the "nonobtainium" Glygoyl 30.... or he and I were emailing..? :? :roll: :mrgreen:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
NM_Mogman

Post by NM_Mogman »

David Dunn wrote: Phil,
With a fresh engine, I'd probably stay with a synthetic oil. Or see what the Volvo owners were using in their old 2.4TD

On one of the threads, Prof Pinz had sourced an alternative to the "nonobtainium" Glygoyl 30.... or he and I were emailing..? :? :roll: :mrgreen:

David,

I am definitely sticking with a light synthetic oil for the engine. I would appreciate the name of the Glygoyl alternative as I am changing all the fluids in the Pinz tomorrow afternoon.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Well, after doing a comprehensive search :roll: ...( people that know how organize I am would rather hack an Iphone :lol: )
Peter had opted to use Redline Heavy Shockproof, which he says Redline's tech says it has better properties in most areas except for low temperature environments
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=44&pcid=8

Maybe Peter will see this and jump in
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Yes, as Dave said, I researched this subject quite thoroughly and came to the conclusion that for me, REDLINE Heavy Shockproof was the best, most readily available and economical solution......mind you Australia isn't an extremely cold country

As to the engine motor oil, I know some of the Volvo D24 guru's recommend Mobil 1 (synthetic) 5W-30.
I've used Australian PENRITE oil in my 712 for years, so I rang their technical section and had a chat to them and they recommended HPR DIESEL 15, 15W-50 (Semi Syn)......whilst this brand may not be available overseas any good, equivalent product should be OK.....once again the country climate/temperatures affects the choice.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
Tank School Pinz
Great Britain

Post by Tank School Pinz »

I have just done an oil & filter change on my newly acquired 2006 718 VW LT BBR engine, used 7.8 litres of Morris synthetic C3 5W-40 and a VW filter 074115562 if that helps.....
ps; re antifreeze....I am assuming that the 'traditional' IAT antifreeze is what is recommended? As the radiator is brass + solder and those metals are attacked by the more modern OAT antifreezes. Any thoughts?