Some questions for a new comer

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
redman333

Re: Some questions for a new comer

Post by redman333 »

Andre wrote:I'm reading allot of conjecture and speculation by several parties here. Want the information. Ask me. I'll tell you. At a cost. Information isn't free. Good money was spent aquiring the information on " sand treasures" and will not get passed on freely. PM me if your serious. If not, keep up the negative banter towards the newcomers. I want and promote as much help in saving every possible Pinzgauer that can be saved.
My .02
Hey Andre. This is Jared. I've been messaging you on Facebook.

I have a question for you and anyone who may have the answer.

Came across this truck while searching for AC in the pinz. If you click on the link the truck says sold and has no info on it. Went through the pics and it looks like the guy swapped the engine in it. Has AC and heat too by the looks of it. Has anyone seen this vehicle or know anything about it.

http://www.pinzgauer.com/shpics.php?tab ... s&idnum=25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Location Wilmington NC, Looking for a TD Pinz. Also 712K Pinz to look at. If anyone in the remote area would be willing to show thiers off that'd be great. Send me a pm.
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

If you read my quote. I said Pinzgauers are what I want to save. Someone got to this one before I could save it.

I don't know the first thing about what was done, how well it was done, or what it can do now.
What I do know is I would never pay as much for this as I would a stock truck(with mild upgrades).

That being said, this is only my personal opinion. I try not to embark in efforts just because they can be done. The wise man asks if it should be done and at what cost.

Want help restoring a tired TD? I'm in! Want me to help hack up a clean unit for experimentation? I'm out.
Want to customize your pinz in a way that follows standard practices and it would look factory built? I'm In.
Again, these are my personal beliefs and by no means limits what anyone else wants to do with their property.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
redman333

Post by redman333 »

Andre wrote:If you read my quote. I said Pinzgauers are what I want to save. Someone got to this one before I could save it.

I don't know the first thing about what was done, how well it was done, or what it can do now.
What I do know is I would never pay as much for this as I would a stock truck(with mild upgrades).

That being said, this is only my personal opinion. I try not to embark in efforts just because they can be done. The wise man asks if it should be done and at what cost.

Want help restoring a tired TD? I'm in! Want me to help hack up a clean unit for experimentation? I'm out.
Want to customize your pinz in a way that follows standard practices and it would look factory built? I'm In.
Again, these are my personal beliefs and by no means limits what anyone else wants to do with their property.
Restoring a worn out pinz, converting it from an M to a K and adding an ac compressor and electronic ignition is not saving one it's destroying it?
Location Wilmington NC, Looking for a TD Pinz. Also 712K Pinz to look at. If anyone in the remote area would be willing to show thiers off that'd be great. Send me a pm.
pinzi
Belgium

Post by pinzi »

Everyone has diferent opinions about That.......i guess.
Think even my 716 p80 convension to a 2.5 TDI 5 cyl would some of you guys find not done.....
But putting a 1.9 Td vw 4cyl in a aircooled 710 pinz.....not done.
On the other hand.....it is a great engine for the 710/712 pinz..has a better torq/power ratio, but where to put the
Radiator/ intercooler.....without messing up the truck......difficult dissisions :roll:
off-road until i die
redman333

Post by redman333 »

I mean I understand that people want to preserve old vehicles. It's not like there are only 5 in existence though. I forget what the numbers are but the earlier pinz were fairly plentiful. I'd say anyone that wants to bring one out of the dumps should go for it no matter what the mods are. If someone modifies a pinz to thier liking it's still in better condition then if someone let it rot away in the dump somewhere because it doesn't suit thier needs. It's a great platform so why not use it. Especially for someone like Andres with the skills needed to be able to change a pinz back to stock if he wanted to. To me there's no difference it bringing it back to stock from a customer that modified it to a camper then if they had to do a full resto because it sat in the desert somewhere. Either way there's a lot of work. However the guy that had it as a camper probably will keep the running gear in better condition then of it were just sitting rotting away.

Just my 2 cents.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Andre wrote:I'm reading allot of conjecture and speculation by several parties here. Want the information. Ask me. I'll tell you. At a cost. Information isn't free. Good money was spent aquiring the information on " sand treasures" and will not get passed on freely. PM me if your serious. If not, keep up the negative banter towards the newcomers. I want and promote as much help in saving every possible Pinzgauer that can be saved.
My .02
My "conjecture and speculation " would be the same for any TD Pinz,to be aware of cost of the major components that are unique to the TD and cannot be exchanged with 'cheaper' 710/12 components. Unless you have carnal knowledge to the internals of those components, it is always a crap shoot. There were 2 different front axles assemblies (one hub to hub) auctioned off in the UK from late ATL Pinzes, you really must wonder what was wrong to warrant replacing the complete assemblies on newer trucks, and what is salvageable.

Pinzi,
Back in '03 I had spoken to ATL about engine upgrades. They were producing trucks with the 2.5TDI, but only had rework programs to retrofit the P80 and P90 up to the P93 configuration (think that changed later?).
I would like to see pics of your P80 w/ the 2.5TDI. Did you upgrade the radiator and cover too? I'll pm you my email address, or start a thread here for it, I'm sure others would like to see it too. :D Knowing how my P80 716 drove like and my current 718, it must be a good improvement
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

redman333 wrote:Came across this truck while searching for AC in the pinz. If you click on the link the truck says sold and has no info on it. Went through the pics and it looks like the guy swapped the engine in it. Has AC and heat too by the looks of it. Has anyone seen this vehicle or know anything about it.
http://www.pinzgauer.com/shpics.php?tab ... s&idnum=25
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you want a nightmare that will never end, buy something like that. AC on a soft top Pinz is a joke too. It's a chop and hack job, like any Pinz gasser swap, and will soon be good for parts only. Also, turning that back into a stock Pinz later would cost as much as buying another one.

These don't "rot away in dumps". They get used for parts. I think just about any fan of these trucks would agree that it's better to part a truck out than to hack it up with radical mods. And sure, anyone has a right to do whatever you want to do with your property, but you can't expect much help or sympathy when you've permanently removed your truck from the critically important owner-to-owner cycle that all rare machines need to survive.
redman333 wrote: Restoring a worn out pinz, converting it from an M to a K and adding an ac compressor and electronic ignition is not saving one it's destroying it?
That's not what you implied with the posts and with that link to that hack-job, hence the response you got. Having done what you just asked for is no problem at all, if you have the cash, just don't expect the AC mod to be remotely cheap, since it's 100% custom fab work, or for it to work like it does in a modern car.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!