Some questions for a new comer

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
redman333

Re: Some questions for a new comer

Post by redman333 »

David Dunn wrote:Respectfully Redman
From what you wrote, you should look to something other than a Pinzgauer for high speed family trips. You are not going to find a Pinz with a sustainable speed in the 70’s,and if you did, any mechanical failure at those speeds would be disastrous, a gas Pinz more so with their drum brakes.. I keep thinking back to the early 2000's and a 710M that had a car pull out in front of them and the Pinz lost control and rolled, killing a child.

Yes,the last 716 and 718 UK made Pinzes are rated for a max of 75mph, and I have seen mine go pass that on GPS ( a flashing red number is discerning ), and it wasn’t from trying to see how fast it could go, but rather the truck crept up along the traffic flow. I like to run the truck at 58 to 63 mph. Also my engine is still breaking in at 1700 original miles and I don’t like to hold rpm’s constant.

As for the other posters today, none have (or driven to my knowledge) a TD Pinz, and some of their comparison are in line with comparing a 1966 Porsche 911 with a 1980 one. So many statements do not equally apply. The TDs have very good disc brakes, their track is wider than the 710/12, longer wheelbases, the driveshaft is 1 piece… too many people think a TD Pinz is the same as the gassers and the same info crosses over, they are different trucks.

I’ve attached a page from the UK Pinz brochure with the max rating and fuel range.
The earlier P80 and P90 had a max of 122kph for the 716 and 112kph for the 718 (I haven’t gotten around to scanning a lot of the older docs).
IMO, disc brakes, wider track and vast improvement in tires are some of the main reason the 716 and 718 can be rated for the higher speeds, but at a cost of shortening mechanical life of some components
I'd be happy with 112kph. That's 70mph. So. Ask ally what you're saying is to look for a Td pinz then. I'm guessing the portal boxes are what usually fail turning at high speeds correct? Curious why don't you like staying at constant Rpms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Location Wilmington NC, Looking for a TD Pinz. Also 712K Pinz to look at. If anyone in the remote area would be willing to show thiers off that'd be great. Send me a pm.
redman333

Post by redman333 »

Or as far as wrecks, the way I see it it's no different then the Jeep Wrangler. If I ride around with my family in the wrangler and something jumps out in front of me I already am aware to not swerve but to just hit whatever it is. I also don't plan on driving this thing on a daily basis. It'll only be for trips and beach rides. I was able to drive a 710m today that a friend was nice enough to let me drive. Honestly it drives a lot like our wrangler as far as the center of gravity. I was a bit surprised the steering was as easy as it is though.

Location Wilmington NC, Looking for a TD Pinz. Also 712K Pinz to look at. If anyone in the remote area would be willing to show thiers off that'd be great. Send me a pm.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

redman333 wrote:Or as far as wrecks, the way I see it it's no different then the Jeep Wrangler. If I ride around with my family in the wrangler and something jumps out in front of me I already am aware to not swerve but to just hit whatever it is. I also don't plan on driving this thing on a daily basis. It'll only be for trips and beach rides. I was able to drive a 710m today that a friend was nice enough to let me drive. Honestly it drives a lot like our wrangler as far as the center of gravity. I was a bit surprised the steering was as easy as it is though.

Oh yes - it would be exactly the same as a Jeep Wranger in a wreck :)
There is so much between you and whatever jumped out at you
pucker_factor_12.jpg
pucker_factor_12.jpg (114.6 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
Glad you were able to drive one - at least now you know and if you liked it and its time to start shopping!
http://www.swissarmyvehicles.com/shpics ... =165&cat=1
https://expedition-imports.com/Pinzgaue ... c_325.html
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
redman333

Post by redman333 »

TechMOGogy wrote:
redman333 wrote:Or as far as wrecks, the way I see it it's no different then the Jeep Wrangler. If I ride around with my family in the wrangler and something jumps out in front of me I already am aware to not swerve but to just hit whatever it is. I also don't plan on driving this thing on a daily basis. It'll only be for trips and beach rides. I was able to drive a 710m today that a friend was nice enough to let me drive. Honestly it drives a lot like our wrangler as far as the center of gravity. I was a bit surprised the steering was as easy as it is though.

Oh yes - it would be exactly the same as a Jeep Wranger in a wreck :)
There is so much between you and whatever jumped out at you
pucker_factor_12.jpg
Glad you were able to drive one - at least now you know and if you liked it and its time to start shopping!
http://www.swissarmyvehicles.com/shpics ... =165&cat=1
https://expedition-imports.com/Pinzgaue ... c_325.html
Thats what a big beefy front bumper is for. Just hope you don't kill who over you hit. All I'm saying is they are both not the safest vehicles on the planet. Just something to keep in mind when driving them.

I did really enjoy it. So did the ol lady which actually surprised me. She could care less about the lexus but said she really liked the pinz.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Yes, actually the same as a Wrangler :roll: … except the Wrangler has a big lump mounted between you and whatever you kiss, and 2 door Wrangler has 96"of wheelbase and a JKU 116" vs a 710's 88 With the drum brakes of the 710 and short wheelbase, swerving may not be your choice in a panic stop ( iirc, as in that 710 rollover). Disc brakes make for a controlled panic stop.ABS, moreso.
I'd be happy with 112kph. That's 70mph. So. Ask ally what you're saying is to look for a Td pinz then. I'm guessing the portal boxes are what usually fail turning at high speeds correct? Curious why don't you like staying at constant Rpms.
112kph max, don't plan on doing it constantly, they are still happier in the low 60's. Having had 4 different Pinzes, I cannot see anyway I'd go back to a gas Pinz. I had my 716 for 10 years and the only time I ever thought of getting a 710 or 712 again, I sobered up. :) My apologies to gas Pinz owners, but as Pinzi stated "The Diesel pinzgauers....you cant compere these to a petrol pinz nor a Volvo....they are just better" They did go through some teething pains with the cooling system and a few engine updates

And for me not running constant rpms, my ATL 718K Pinz is basically a NEW Pinzgauer, with only 262 miles on it when I received it. Though I drive it as I normally would, I still believe in varying the speeds to break-in the engine
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
redman333

Post by redman333 »

Well I guess I understand the break in period as far as revs go.

I wish I knew someone close to me with a 716 or 718 so I could take a look and a drive in it. I'll probably just keep an eye out for the 716-718 to see before buying either. Not sure how easy that will be though.

David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Put your location into your profile and if someone is close, they may reply... they won't if they have to scrounge for it.

Also one of the recent threads, I posted approx TD numbers, that will give an idea of the number of hensteeth out there. :wink:

VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

redman333 wrote: Thats what a big beefy front bumper is for. Just hope you don't kill who over you hit. All I'm saying is they are both not the safest vehicles on the planet. Just something to keep in mind when driving them.
The safety issue with all of these older or forward cab 4x4's is not so much when hitting another car, but hitting the immovable object, like a tree, embankment, dumptruck, etc. Speed does indeed kill.

If you are in the US, I'd give up on the 716 idea unless you have tons of patience and money to import one of the very few that come up for sale in Europe. It will cost you at least $30K if its in remotely decent shape but it will be an early model, probably with issues. The very few 718's floating around are going to be pricey unless you find one of the (mostly) beaten up ex-US mil versions for sale. A few of those may be ok, thanks to the resourceful private owners, but at least two that I know of out there would be better off with a whole new engine and a major overall overhaul. If you are UK based, there are a few floating around but the nicer ones aren't cheap.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

redman333

Post by redman333 »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:
redman333 wrote: Thats what a big beefy front bumper is for. Just hope you don't kill who over you hit. All I'm saying is they are both not the safest vehicles on the planet. Just something to keep in mind when driving them.
The safety issue with all of these older or forward cab 4x4's is not so much when hitting another car, but hitting the immovable object, like a tree, embankment, dumptruck, etc. Speed does indeed kill.

If you are in the US, I'd give up on the 716 idea unless you have tons of patience and money to import one of the very few that come up for sale in Europe. It will cost you at least $30K if its in remotely decent shape but it will be an early model, probably with issues. The very few 718's floating around are going to be pricey unless you find one of the (mostly) beaten up ex-US mil versions for sale. A few of those may be ok, thanks to the resourceful private owners, but at least two that I know of out there would be better off with a whole new engine and a major overall overhaul. If you are UK based, there are a few floating around but the nicer ones aren't cheap.
Beat up, needing a new engine, bad shape. Thats exactly what I'm looking for. I have no need for a fully restored or in near perfect condition td pinz. I plan on stripping it down to nothing when I get it anyway. I'm looking for a project. Fat fab had sent me a couple td pinz's out of Oman but they were the 718M and I'm really holding out for a K variant. He said most were in decent shape and some worse then others. Said theyd be around $10k with $3K for import. This price is completelky fine with me. He said that itd be hard to find a K variant. I've been toying with the idea of making my own K variant out of an M but have heard he body panels can be very expensive. Depending on how expensive will determine if I go this route.
redman333

Post by redman333 »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:

I understand the damager of a forward control vehicle. This is why I'd be the only one driving it. I prefer to be in control of my vehicles especially one thats more dangerous then othe vehicles of ours.
redman333

Post by redman333 »

David Dunn wrote:Put your location into your profile and if someone is close, they may reply... they won't if they have to scrounge for it.

Also one of the recent threads, I posted approx TD numbers, that will give an idea of the number of hensteeth out there. :wink:
Added my location and added it to my signature. I'll look for your thread.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I don't know what he was looking at out there but $13K for a legal 718, landed here, probably won't happen again. You can't even buy old 712M's in the US for that.

Just be sure about what you are getting into. You might not realize what taking down a 718 really means. These aren't Chevy pick-ups. If you are a master mechanic with a nice shop, many $1000's for parts, it would be a good start, but even then....
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

redman333

Post by redman333 »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:I don't know what he was looking at out there but $13K for a legal 718, landed here, probably won't happen again. You can't even buy old 712M's in the US for that.

Just be sure about what you are getting into. You might not realize what taking down a 718 really means. These aren't Chevy pick-ups. If you are a master mechanic with a nice shop, many $1000's for parts, it would be a good start, but even then....
I have close to $50K in tools, lift and a frame. Have access to hydraulic presses and other larger tools. Tear down and re-assemble doesnt scare me in the slightest. Its all mechanical. If i have to buy or source special tools thats fine as well. Its all a learning process for me and I enjoy that. The way I see it, when you value my time I may only break even but I will know the vehicle a whole lot better and know exactly the condition of everything on the vehicle. This makes me feel more comfortable taking one on long trips.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

First off, the TD numbers were the 3nd post in this thread.

As for those mid eastern Pinzes, I've seen a few offered at different times in the last 15 years, and ones in the south Pacific. They're almost all dirt cheap and either gotten gobbled up for refurbishment or parts quickly. Others have lingered because the mechanics are questionable.... before thinking you're going to get a "gem in the sand pile", check pricing on diffs, axles, axle housings and reductions boxes, calipers and rotors for a TD. The only sources are S-Tec or one of the people that gobbled up the good stuff which they had inspected first. The ones Andre was speaking about have been on Facebook for a few months now and I would suspect dealers in the UK and Europe have already picked them over by now by their representatives in the region.

Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

I'm reading allot of conjecture and speculation by several parties here. Want the information. Ask me. I'll tell you. At a cost. Information isn't free. Good money was spent aquiring the information on " sand treasures" and will not get passed on freely. PM me if your serious. If not, keep up the negative banter towards the newcomers. I want and promote as much help in saving every possible Pinzgauer that can be saved.
My .02
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com