Gutless

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
adrenalinsports
United States of America

Gutless

Post by adrenalinsports »

I took my 718 out to see how well it would flex. In doing so I was trying to get the driver side wheel up on a boulder. I couldn’t even get it to build up enough power to get up on this rock. My old 712 would have made it. Are these things worthless on power in low rpms and geared too tall? Seems like these new Pinz would be horrible at rock crawling.

Can anything be done to make them better at rock crawling? I go to Moab a lot and was excited about this truck but worried unless I hit obstacles with the turbo spooling I’m not going to get anywhere.

Thanks,

Jud
Judson Eades
1975 Volvo TGB 1111
1986 Pinzgauer 718
2008 International MXT
1987 Iveco 90-16
1989 Mercedes 1222
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: Gutless

Post by David Dunn »

There is something wrong with your truck. TDs are geared far better than the gas Pinzes.
Your blaming the whole 716/18 line says you know nothing about them.

Describe which version do you have, drivetrain, tire size, and IF you have replaced all fuel filters. Filters alone can make any diesel into a slug
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
adrenalinsports
United States of America

I’m so glad to hear that it’s not normal to be this way. It’s a 1986 718 ambulance. I would assume the P80. I will have my mechanic do a major service on it and now that I know replace all the fuel filters. There has been a pusher fan added to the radiator and the grill cut out to make room for it. But not certain any other upgrades where done to the motor. But waiting to hear back from the mechanic that did the extra work to it. It’s a really nice truck. Massive alternator added to run a separate 12 volt system with large inverter running a roof top 110 volt AC unit. A custom hard top was made as well.

I’m having the ridiculous bumper removed and a lower profile one made with the winch up higher, also painting it flat grey and having custom benches made for the rear box for 12 passengers.
Judson Eades
1975 Volvo TGB 1111
1986 Pinzgauer 718
2008 International MXT
1987 Iveco 90-16
1989 Mercedes 1222
adrenalinsports
United States of America

I’m striking out at attaching files from my IPhone. I click the attachment box below and upload a file but every time it gives me the caution sign that it didn’t work.
Judson Eades
1975 Volvo TGB 1111
1986 Pinzgauer 718
2008 International MXT
1987 Iveco 90-16
1989 Mercedes 1222
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

A '86 would be a P80. that 2.4TD has shim valve adjustment. What transmission, and what size tires?
The early TDs had some very exact coolant hose routing and procedure for purging air. There were 4 different coolant setups for the P80, and is by chassis #. Having a mechanic that think they're smarter than the engineers may get you an overheated ( and blown) engine, so be careful.

You were added to the Yahoo Turbo D group. There's no activity there, but go in and download all the files and manuals.

David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I just uploaded part of the cooling section for the P80s. You can identify your version by the chassis #. Cooling was a serious problem that SDP kept changing up to the P93.
Attachments
Sec031 Cooling p31-38.pdf
(694.47 KiB) Downloaded 133 times