718 Colorado title?

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
Sethsquatch
United States of America

718 Colorado title?

Post by Sethsquatch »

Just a question for anyone who would have experience or knowledge about titling a pinz 718 in Colorado. The one I'm getting is currently titled in Oregon.
I ask because my insurance company is having a hard time with a policy because "the vin is abnormal."
Is this going to cause problems when I go to title it here?
According to a desk jockey at dmv, as long as it has an Oregon title, there "shouldn't be any issues" but we know how that goes....
Any advice is welcome!
Sethsquatch
1990 718MW. Work in progress... (like they all are.)
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: 718 Colorado title?

Post by David Dunn »

I can't help with registration, I can into the VIN. A little history, in 1980 what is called an ISO VIN began (actually 2). One used in North America and the other for the rest of the world. Both are 17 digits long , start with a world manufacturer identifier (3 digits) and the last series the chassis #. Everything in between have unique meaning depending on vehicle intended market. What the insurance company was looking at was the 10th digit that on North America VINs indicate model year 1 = 2001 and 2 = 2002. On the world VIN the 10th place is the driver's location, 1= LHD and 2 = RHD. They may also might have a problem with the WMI (VAG) as probably not on any WMI in the US.

Also, model year is not stamped anywhere on a 716 or 718. The only place (sometimes) is on the data plates on the transmission and transfer case, and not always.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Sethsquatch
United States of America

Post by Sethsquatch »

So knowledgeable! Thank you. I've seen multiple pinzgauers here in Colorado, so I'm sure it's possible. Just hoping it's not a ton of hoops to jump through. :>>
1990 718MW. Work in progress... (like they all are.)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Most of the Pinzes in Colorado are 710 or 712. I believe there are at least 2 TDs registered there. I would expect registering a 718 with another's state title not that difficult . Most states have exceptions for unusual vehicles and engines. California is one that doesn't
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
victorywithflair
United States of America

Post by victorywithflair »

Just an update to this topic. I’ve been looking for a 712/718 so checked with the Eagle Co DMV regarding the military vehicle ban. I had a helpful DMV employee check a VIN from a Bring a Trailer listing of a Colorado-registered 712 to see if I could register it now. She said the VIN was flagged as military so would not be legal for on-road use under current regulations. I’m not sure how other counties or DMV offices would behave but this was valuable for me to know. I’m having a 718 restored that was bought directly from Steyr by a civilian company in Germany that should hopefully be legal to register.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Interesting article via the Gazette. Seems like your DMV read between
the lines on the legislation :((

https://gazette.com/news/local/colorado ... d81b6.html
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q