718 transport, remove 2 tires?

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
Sethsquatch
United States of America

718 transport, remove 2 tires?

Post by Sethsquatch »

So basically just what the subject said, I bought a 718 and have to drive it 1200 miles home starting tomorrow. Just had the random thought of removing 2 wheels, probably the middle axle? So that it would be less friction, parasitic loss, etc. And give me 2 more spares. Is this an insane idea? 😂
1990 718MW. Work in progress... (like they all are.)
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: 718 transport, remove 2 tires?

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I dont think its a good idea.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

You'll find out how insane when you go to drive it. 712 and 718's rear axles are connected and torque goes to the point of least traction aka hanging wheel. Even being a 6x, they can be stuck on a slippery road and still require fwd or a locker to get moving.
Don't overthink your trip home .
There are other reasons, but ask yourself why would you cripple the truck the first time you drive it
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

So you bought a 718....but realy wanted a 716..... :roll: :mrgreen:
Sethsquatch
United States of America

Post by Sethsquatch »

Haha!

I know, insane idea. But logical, right? Any who... I think it'll be a long slow drive home. Just wondering if there's a way to make it a little less so. Thanks for the responses. And be ready for tons more questions now that I actually have one!
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

One thing you'll learn about Steyr-Puch engineers... don't mess with their work! They didn't build in wiggle room.

Pinzgauer design is about as far from Jeeps, Ford's and Chevy's as you can possible get. You have to rewire your brain when it comes to thinking about mods and experimenting, and I'd listen to people's advice on here.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

That is a long trip. I am curious as to your route and if you are passing by any other owners to say hello; or help fix something!
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
Sethsquatch
United States of America

Post by Sethsquatch »

whitesik wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:48 pm That is a long trip. I am curious as to your route and if you are passing by any other owners to say hello; or help fix something!
So I left Medford this afternoon, I got as far as Lakeview Oregon. Hoping to hit SLC tomorrow, and home to north of Denver by Thursday evening. I don't think I'd have time for any detours. But perhaps in the future!
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

So you have done some miles with the 718....how dous it feel, are you happy? :mrgreen:
Sethsquatch
United States of America

Post by Sethsquatch »

Joeri wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:27 am So you have done some miles with the 718....how dous it feel, are you happy? :mrgreen:
So as far as running, it runs good! It is beyond gutless though. Previous owner hadn't driven it much in last couple years, so I'm hoping a new air filter will help. Also would like modern tires and lighter wheels... But fun to drive. Basically just keep it floored in 5th and it'll do 65ish. Went across salt flats today and it was smooth. But any sort of hill, and there's no helping it. 45? Wish it was more.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Running well and gutless, that's an oxymoron. :lol:
Fuel filters! Dirty filters will think you're dragging a boat anchor, or have a bad wheel bearing. I got my 718 after sitting for a long time, with changing the filters I picked up 25 mph. You won't see that much of a change. Another item is the frontal mass of the box cuts your top speed.
Lighter wheels? Pics show stock rims, unless they're bent, they're fine. For tires, be careful of going too wide or tall, they will kill performance. Being UK used, it may have 8.25-16 tires, you'll want shorter tires

Sethsquatch
United States of America

Post by Sethsquatch »

I'll start with fuel filters! Anything to help. Also have a weird issue now, after driving for the first minute? Temperature spikes, first time it did it, steam dumped out of the vents and coolant sprayed out of the "hood"... After stopping, noticed the overflow is cracked. Now it runs fine, I think maybe air in the system? Only gets hot after that first minute, spike, and then it's fine. I feel like sourcing a factory over for will be a nightmare, so I'll get an aftermarket one. Hopefully that fixes it!
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

A little late but I was going to warn you not to overheat the engine. And to idle the engine before shutting it off. The P80 and P90 have specific coolant adding and purging routines, some based on VINs, but how the factory routed lines determinesd the high point to purge air.... barring someone didn't think they're an engineer and change it. :roll:
I know In one version of the P80 there is a y fitting that factory makes a point on the direction it mounts. I'll check to see if I can find the pdf and post it, it has been 8 years since I sold my P80 716 and everything is different in GG

David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Extracted the pages related to coolant fill method. You'll need to determine which version is youre
Attachments
cooling fill.pdf
(694.47 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

Sethsquatch
United States of America

Post by Sethsquatch »

David Dunn wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:29 am Extracted the pages related to coolant fill method. You'll need to determine which version is youre
Umm... What if mine doesn't look like any of those pics?