Any info on pinzy.... just got a new one!

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
Torchd

Any info on pinzy.... just got a new one!

Post by Torchd »

HI.

Im a newbie here. I've just bought a 716 1992 pinzyTurbo diesel... and need information on that... like anything i can know about it.. engine specs, is it all time four wheel drive? how can i engage the diff locks?

Would some one know whats the LUG pattern on the pinzy? it has five bolts and can i install 15 inch rims on it instead of 16's?
VIN is 716 2 112 0003357

Would appreciate all the help.

Thanks.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Hi Torchd
The breakdown on your VIN is a short wheelbase, open top ( model is"M" ), 2.4TD engine with 5 speed gear box, left hand steering. From the chassis number, I'd suspect you have a P93 with the lastest 2.4 TD with the innercooler, (before the 2.5TDI ). The radiator grille will have 4 horizonal cutouts ( 2 by 2) over 7 vertical cutouts. A P90 would have 8 horizonal slots ( 4 by 2 ) over a bunch of vertical slots.
As I stated in the other thread, the lug bolt pattern is the same as the Puch G Wagon ( the actual size alludes me right now). But 16" rims are the perfered rims here .....my friends with military G Wagons keep eyeing my truck's rims :lol:
The 716's also have a pneumatic automatic leveling rear suspension. Unless your truck was modified, it probably sags in the rear when parked overnight, and a air compressor comes on when you start the truck to level the the cargo area.
Dave Dunn
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Torchd

Post by Torchd »

Thanks David....

The truck is not with me yet still has to be delivered!

Well yes it is an M with five speed but its a RIGHT HAND DRIVE! i do not know if it has the intercooler or not!

I think its a P90... i will post sum pix.

And yes it has the rear self leveling susp.

I've bought it for 10,000 us$ do you think its a good buy?
I havn;t driven it yet but it starts like new and only has 20K kms on the clock.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26223372@N06/?saved=1

Whats the most common fault in these and any preventive measures that can be taken?!
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Torchd, I say you stole it. I would think parts alone would run that. Looks nice from what i can see.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Torchd
I've determine that I shouldn't read info tables when I'm tired. :oops:
I was jazzed to see a 'M' in private hands. Most all the privately owned TDs I've heard of are Ks.
All 716s have the air system in the rear, the pump is under the glove box.
It should be a 24v system ( mine is one of a few that are 12v).
$10,000 is a very good buy for one that looks so good ( even as a parts truck). I hope all the mechanicals are as good. That is where you could spend the BIG bucks, and quickly. Before driving it, be sure to check all the fluid levels in the engine, transmission, transfer case, both differentals and all 4 portal reduction boxes at the wheels! The engine is the "cheapest" part of the drivetain to find commercial ( it was used in Volvo cars, and VW light trucks). Overheating was the iggest problem the early TD had, but from your chassis #, it has the last cooling system revision.

If you want to send me your email address, I have a couple of manuals in pdf that I can send. One is a 716 ownermanual for a RHD P80 ( this one has all the maintenence checks I mention above) and the other is a electric and rear suspension ( this has been the only manual I've found that has had the rear suspension system in it and troubleshooting guide, in English)

Dave Dunn
dsd277@sbcglobal.net

Torchd

Post by Torchd »

Well it is actually an army vehicle.... they auctioned it!! so now im gna have it.

Like i said its not with me yet and i havn't paid the full money yet... if you can tell me about other things i should check before i make full payment. I will check if it has the pump under the glove box. Will it be visible tho? or will i have to remove anything? and i might be able to complete mine because there are three more parked there from which i can get the parts... i picked the best one tho!

Can you tell me from where can i check all the fliuds like transmission, transfer case, differentials and portal reduction boxes? what spec of oils are suppose to go in and in what quantity?

I know these engines well.. i have three volkswagen golfs with the 1.6TD... and this is the same engine with just two more cylinders! I would love to read thro any thing abt this vehicle and i appreciate your gesture.
I'll pm you my email.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Torchd
If you can pick up a "spare" 716 for parts, you may be money ahead. Heck, at that price, I'd be tempted to pick up one as a parts vehicle. :wink:

I've emailed you the owners manual, and that should answer most all of your questions. :D If not, many of the general check and fill points for the drivetrain are similar to the 710/12 gas Pinzes ( only mirrored) .

Dave Dunn

Torchd

Post by Torchd »

So whats the value of similar pinzys in the US?? That is if you guys are in US
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Torchd
The simple fact is that the US EPA and DOT laws ( clean air & vehicle safety) pretty much excludes anything from bring imported and registered for the road in the US under 25 years old ( that wasn't already being made for the US, and meeting all the regulations). All the Pinzers that post in this forum from the US ( and most of the others from around the world) have the gas powered 710 or 712 models. Their base values are $10,000 to $18,000, in the US.
As for 716/18 owners, I am the only US owner that actively post to these forums. Other members are in the UK, Italy, Sweden, Germany and Austria.

As a Turbo Diesel Pinzgauer owner, you have join a very small club.

Dave Dunn

Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

The rest of us are just wana bees :P
Warm Right Leg

Post by Warm Right Leg »

seems to be nearly complete , how many miles or kilometers has it done ? And yes its a P90
I love warm right leg !
Torchd

Post by Torchd »

It has done 24000 Kms...
Warm Right Leg

Post by Warm Right Leg »

With that type of KM stand on the tacho there should'nt be to much wrong with it .However Pinz tachos are mostly 5 digit tachos so it could have gone round , but that's no big deal there are Pinzgauers out there with over 300,000KM on there clocks , but chances are with it being ex mil thats a original KM stand!! Is it running and driving ?? .Sounds like you came across it by chance . Anyhow good luck with it ..
I love warm right leg !
Heckelbone

Re: Any info on pinzy.... just got a new one!

Post by Heckelbone »

Hi All,

I have a 1987 718 in Denver. The EPA regulation is 22 years as opposed to 25. Mine was imported by the DoD with a SF97 to get a government title. Without that they would confiscate it...they still almost did that.
Unfortunately the D24 engine blew up a few weeks ago. Searching for options now.
Moral of the story is 'dont buy a second hand vehicle from the Delta Force'

fesm_ndt

Re: Any info on pinzy.... just got a new one!

Post by fesm_ndt »

It is basically a VW Volvo engine, so parts are not that hard to come across. What other damage did it do?
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)