what about diesel pinz'es in Canada

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

pinzies in canada

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

That's one way of doing it !! :) :)
NM_Mogman

Re: what about diesel pinz'es in Canada

Post by NM_Mogman »

Pinzmeister,

If I may ask, as this is an old thread, how did this particular diesel work out for you and, why did you choose that particular engine? How much modification did it take to fit the 716 engine bay? Is it still in 24V form or did you just go with 12V? Does that motor use a computer, or is it mechanical like the D24T?

Sorry for all the questions but, I love it when people think, and act, "outside the box"!! It is quite the jump in power, which leads me to the final question; any issues with the driveline with the increase in power (and probably a heavier use of the GO pedal)?

Thanks,
Phil
pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

Hi Phil. The truck has now covered 20,000 miles and apart from a broken altenator bracket (my fault for not making it strong enough in the first place) I haven't needed to put a spanner on it, it's since been chipped to 234 bhp with no detrimental effects on the transmission, I think the auto box helps as it 'softens' any shocks to the transfer box, which incidentally is now running Glygoil 30. The 3 litre BMW fits in the engine bay (just) it's a tight fit but it goes in! I chose it because it sits at the right angle alongside the chassis tube and a friend of mine builds racing Land Rovers and he convinced me how powerful and reliable these engines are. The truck is still 24volt and the engine management computer and injection system run through a 70 amp 24 to 12volt dropper which again has proved reliable. wiring was initially a bit of a nightmare but I've since converted two more (718s) so I'm getting used to it.
Cheers Nigel.
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

When you state much better efficiency/economy, do you have some data? Just curious.
'76 710K
pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

I don't know about better economy, I get 21 miles per gallon ( that's imperial not U.S gallons ) but that's with an auto box and certainly using the performance. it will cruise all day at 75 to 80 mph! and keep up with anything away from the traffic lights. :D :D