what about diesel pinz'es in Canada

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
Jerbearyukon

what about diesel pinz'es in Canada

Post by Jerbearyukon »

What the age restrictions in Canda...I really want a diesel

I think in the Yukon they could give a rats...they didn't even come out to see what it looked like. Put it down as a recreational vehicle I think...have to check.

I would just like to buy a diesel that would work in my 710 k and get my buddy here to install in.

IS IT POSSIBLE...is all I want to know.

Can you buy and engine...what type...I will give it a shot and see how it goes....HATE GOV ANYWAY. REBEL

Jer Bear
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

In a couple of weeks, see my posts, I,m having a mercedes Diesel (Merc Sprinter 310 van engine (2.9ltr non-turbo) retro-fitted into a "72" 710K. I,ll post pics of the installation and let everyone know how she goes and handles/ fuel economy etc.
Aiming to introduce UK Politicians to Piano wire and Lamposts!
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

So did you ever do this?

Jer
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

As for Canadian rules, it's 15 years for "no questions asked" import to my knowledge.....
1972 710m
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Yes, he's had this conversion for a year +.
Because this is a hybrid, and has nothing in common with the Turbo Ds ( 716 / 18 ), I had suggested he kept any questions in the gas Pinz section where ( other than the mods) questions could be answered. And any questions about the mods could only be answered by the modifier.
From what I've heard of on his truck, the engine and trans are not ones that are found in the US, and as such, probably not in Canada much either, if at all.

Jer, go back through the old tech section on diesel conversions.... there are several things to consider before attempting it.

Dave
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

correct as usual david, it is a hybrid, but all thanks to the Pinzmeister,s original engineering it is doing well, still starts on the button, and runs like a dream. PM sent to Jerbear. For economy I recommend the conv to anyone, but not if you are looking for speed! I think this same 5 cyl engine was only used in the states in some Mercedes sedans (300D) and the G wagen 300GD. I have taken some measurements and if i were to upgrade this Hybrid I think I would look seriously at the BMW 6 Cyl 2.5 Turbo again this engine was prolific in BMW 5 Series and Vauxhall/Opel Omega sedans in Europe, (I don,t know if it was marketed with the BMW engine in GM products in USA?) It does have the turbo low down on the left as you look at the front of the car....I think it would squeeze into a Pinz! indeed, The Pinzmeister is working on a 3.0TDI version of this same engine in his (very late ex British Army Pinzgauer) that will be some powerful beast and possibly interesting to drive?
pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

diesel pinzies

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

The P93 is up and running with the 3.0ltr BMW commonrail diesel, I've only taken it for a short run round the block uo to now so haven't tried out the full 200bhp yet :twisted: :twisted: anyway a few pics to whet your appetite. :D ImageImage
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

ok so what happened to the pics?
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Just a quick question Nigel? did you use the BMW box as well (manual or auto?)? same as you did in my Pinz? was it a bit long and did you have any problems if so with having a very short prop to the T/fer box? (Reason ask is because I am eyeing up a BMW 2.5 6 cyl diesel and box from an Opel Omega.....I know my Pinz is much shorter and I would almost certainly encounter a short prop problem or have to move the engine so far forward it might put too much weight forward of the front axle). (I,ve no intention of changing the engine right now.....but they have a saying here in Poland...."is it asking for food? No....well buy it and put it in a cupboard, you will need it one day")
pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

ImageImage
ImageImage
I'll try this one again, it worked yesterday. :D
pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

diesel pinzies

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

Hi Dreadnought. I have used the ZF HP 22 Auto box, It's from the BMW car but is the same box as fitted to the TD pinz, so the prop is not too short. But remember I started with a TD pinzgauer so everything is mounted on the opposite side of the torque tube to yours. Cheers Nigel.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Even with the auto trans, the prop shaft in a 716/18 is much longer than in a 710/12 with a manual trans.

8" of wheelbase goes a long way :wink:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
fesm_ndt

Re: diesel pinzies

Post by fesm_ndt »

pinzmeister-uk wrote:The P93 is up and running with the 3.0ltr BMW commonrail diesel, I've only taken it for a short run round the block uo to now so haven't tried out the full 200bhp yet :twisted: :twisted: anyway a few pics to whet your appetite. :D
Good to see it out of the garage :D. Seems we are getting there at about the same time as we are rushing over here for a Thailand trip.

Well if I can quickly solve the injection pump problem. I found another pump that has half the internals the same. Why with 4 injection pumps in the yard the P93 one had to be knackered.

The major difference is the RPM the pump is created for with the P93 being 2250. I have all the specs but have not delved into it further
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

diesel pinzies

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

Good luck with the pump Mike, I hope you get it sorted in time to make your trip. Nigel.
fesm_ndt

Re: diesel pinzies

Post by fesm_ndt »

pinzmeister-uk wrote:Good luck with the pump Mike, I hope you get it sorted in time to make your trip. Nigel.
Well got a new injection pump :lol: by buying another P93 engine :cry: :roll:
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)