Air con for 716TD

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
hardro33

Air con for 716TD

Post by hardro33 »

does any one know of any Pinzgauers with air con units or has any one fitted one??
I am planning a trip round Australia in mine and would love the luxury of an air con unit.
Ta for any help
pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

air con

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

I fitted a roof mounted, stand alone, air con unit to my 712 ambulance camper, it works quite well.
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

am planning a trip round Australia in mine and would love the luxury of an air con unit.
You won't need it!..... It doesn't get very hot in Aus!....Trust me! :wink: :roll: :twisted:
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
Ugo

Post by Ugo »

In the parts manual the stock A/C is shown.
It has a roof unit and a belt driven compressor. The details in the maual could be useful to replicate the installation.

Regards,
Ugo
1990 716K
Torino, Italy
The true Pinzgauer´s

Post by The true Pinzgauer´s »

I have two Td´s ( P80+P90) with A/C belt-drive. What information do you need about?

What TD do you have? Model M, K, T...? Version P80,P90 .. or new UK Version with 5 cylinder engine?
Tads

Post by Tads »

Trust me, you can't afford the A/C solutions available for the 5 cylinder!!

P90/93 is relatively straightforward to fit a compressor too, then just find a thro-roof mount evap/condenser....

Tom
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Why was it so much more difficult to fit AC to the 5 cylinder than the 6 Tom....was it a much tighter fit?
A mate of mine has a 5 cylinder VW van with AC ....I must have a look at the compressor setup etc next time he's over here.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
Tads

Post by Tads »

Yes, with the increasing emissions requirements each engine generation tends to have more gubbins you have to package around it and without redesigning the space in the engine bay (significant body changes!) there's no simple way of getting a compressor on there in the usual spot.

For the sort of AC needs required for military specs, you end up either remotely mounting the compressor or going for an aux engine.
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

The guy here with the 718 found that the roof mounted blower section out of a Toyota Estima (mini van) has the perfect curvature same as the inner on a Pinz.

He already has the standard compressor. On mine I think I will buy the complete Toyota set, Compressor, blower and the rad.

The only bit I haven't discussed with him is how he is going to mount the rad as he already has the radiator and intercooler. I will have to keep an eye on his progress.

Regards

Mike
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

have been having a few side discussions about this as the major problem is the aircon radiator doesnt fit anywhere.

So I been digging around and these look quite snazzy..... not sure of the cost but you would need the invertor package also if operating whilst driving.

http://www.waeco.com/en/396_2378.php or go to a caravan breaking yard.

Regards

Mike
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
russ

Post by russ »

I used a portable AC unit in my Pinz, mostly for camping as I had hammocks hung inside. It worked quite well. It was a Toyotomi and drew a bit less than 400 watts, very efficient. It had a timer so it would shut down if desired. I installed a 2000 watt 24 volt inverter to power it.

I never really camped inside the Pinz after the first two years. Much more comfortable tent camping, even in rain unless it was a monsoon. I found that I really didn't need it for cooling while driving as the windows are vertical and I painted the roof white. Let me qualify this, I live in FL. Green = hot, white = not. Only if I got caught on a trail sitting still was I uncomfortable and that was only when we had to stop to pull Jeeps out of something they should never have followed us through.

There are some pictures of my installation somewhere on this forum. The 2000 watt inverter works quite well and when power has gone out at the house I have connected it to keep my beer cold and watch tv.

For the AC units I've seen I think it would be better to have a 24 volt compressor motor but the inverters will work. I never overstressed my alternator. I have seen a few trucking AC units that have this combo but it has been a while. I really didn't want a roof unit as the trails we drive on in FL will knock off things on the roof. Heck, I've seen it shatter my buddies antenna mount on his K.

Found the site for the 24 volt DC airconditioner: http://www.dcairco.com/DC4400.html No idea how they would work on a Pinz or if you can get them easily. I doubt they are submersible. :twisted:
If you didn't get stuck, you didn't try hard enough.
'74 710K

1984 in 2009
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

russ wrote:I used a portable AC unit in my Pinz, mostly for camping as I had hammocks hung inside. It worked quite well. It was a Toyotomi and drew a bit less than 400 watts, very efficient. It had a timer so it would shut down if desired. I installed a 2000 watt 24 volt inverter to power it.

I never really camped inside the Pinz after the first two years. Much more comfortable tent camping, even in rain unless it was a monsoon. I found that I really didn't need it for cooling while driving as the windows are vertical and I painted the roof white. Let me qualify this, I live in FL. Green = hot, white = not. Only if I got caught on a trail sitting still was I uncomfortable and that was only when we had to stop to pull Jeeps out of something they should never have followed us through.

There are some pictures of my installation somewhere on this forum. The 2000 watt inverter works quite well and when power has gone out at the house I have connected it to keep my beer cold and watch tv.

For the AC units I've seen I think it would be better to have a 24 volt compressor motor but the inverters will work. I never overstressed my alternator. I have seen a few trucking AC units that have this combo but it has been a while. I really didn't want a roof unit as the trails we drive on in FL will knock off things on the roof. Heck, I've seen it shatter my buddies antenna mount on his K.

Found the site for the 24 volt DC airconditioner: http://www.dcairco.com/DC4400.html No idea how they would work on a Pinz or if you can get them easily. I doubt they are submersible. :twisted:

I have pretty much the same A/C unit works great.

Russ, If you have any pics of the hammocks? Will you post in general Chat.