716M buying advise (pics)

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
lostlobos

716M buying advise (pics)

Post by lostlobos »

Newbie buying first Pinz for restoration. Any advise from members who have been there and done that ?

18 units to choose from :shock: Apart from the obvious cosmetics what signs to look for ?

Any info be great

Some pics

Tads

Post by Tads »

1. Get the one with everything fitted, spares are never easy.

2. Usual car buying stuff, listen to it start from cold, check for leaks, smoke etc. Operate all the switches and levers and make sure everything works - diffs and low range too. Look for signs of extensive off-road abuse, even a Pinz will be in better condition if it hasn't bounced off every boulder on the training area.

2. Don't fret too much about bodywork - there may be some rust in doors, footwells, battery boxes etc, but it should be minor and relatively easy to repair, compared to fixing other things.

3. Higher mileages aren't a big worry, engines are comparatively easily to get parts for from VW. Assuming they're manuals the gearshift is always fairly agricultural but shouldn't balk or grind. Autos - check for no/lazy upshift from 1st when cold, worn out park brake, harsh/slipping shifts. Big miles may mean the rear diff is getting tired, listen for excessive whine from the rear at speed.

4. Check function/condition of rear air suspension closely. Disconnect the level control arm and push it fully up, run engine above 1800rpm and check airbags inflate after ~30secs.

5. Junk the bargrip tyres and riot protection screens.

6. Post directions to where these pictures were taken immediately :-P

I'm bound to have forgotten loads of things, hopefully others will be along with their comments soon...

Tom
todds112

Post by todds112 »

Way cool! What country are these in? I like the riot screens, very Road Warrior looking!
1973 712M
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Plan on buying 2. Find the most complete one, and one for spares. I know of those trucks, and they are all in some sort of disarray.
If the shipping wasn't so bad, I'd buy one for spares.

Also join the Yahoo Pinzgauer Turbo D group. There is a bunch of archive info I know you'll be wanting. :wink:

Dave Dunn
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
lostlobos

Post by lostlobos »

Great info a big thank you to all the gurus

The Pinz are ex Malaysian Army From my prelim inspection some of the trucks have not been used much (as far as army vehicles are concerned) eg the seats and headboard steering wheels relatively unmark.

I think the Malaysians Army used the Land Rovers much more than the Pinz judging from the vehicles on offer.

Too bad could not test the diff and the suspension airbags as the switches are not working (any other way to assess condition?)

Does the unusual camber indicate anything ?

Or are there just like that after been shuttle around by fork lifts like this

Thanks
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

These are a swing axle design, with coil springs in front, that will "settle down" with normal weight, the rear has a single coil spring and an air spring that automatically levels the truck. On startup, the vehicle would sag in the rear and the air pump would bring it up to level ( this is only on the 4x4, not the 6x6). The system is simple, but parts are expensive.

Be sure to check all the drivetrain components, a replacement diff would cost as much as I heard what they were asking for a truck, hence why I said to buy 2 :D .
BTW Front and rear diffs are the same on Pinzes, only which outer axles housing install indicate the location... ( steering front, straight rear)

Dave
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

lostlobos wrote: Or are there just like that after been shuttle around by fork lifts like this

Curious when you took the photo as 9 of them were sold by saturday and there was one runner left which is a mortar carrier with much of the dash missing (ZB 3525). Originally there was 14. I was up there 5 times in the last 2 weeks.

I have 2 (ZB 3541 & ZB 3582) and another guy here in KL also has one (ZB 3555).

As Dave says the wheels camber out whilst driving. However nearly all of these have fork damage to the tie rods and floor, great big holes.

Did you buy one and which number as I got photos of all of them as I was there when they got unloaded.
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
lostlobos

Post by lostlobos »

G'day Mike PM sent
Pinz_M

Post by Pinz_M »

Whats the price range like?