Picked Up 716 Today

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

I haven't had much work done on the Pinz as been on hold pending flights the past 2 weeks. Finally decided to go to Houston first prior to going to Europe then they delayed that for a week.

I sold my daily run around vehicle as was supposed to be away 6 weeks and to fund the remainder of the bits I want. However not being away I could have been working on the Pinz but no transport..... FFS

Seats, interesting, I haven't seen any real damage on ours apart from the seat reclining knob, where you have to be conan to be able to move it some times. Ok when seated, the pain is when you are leaning in wanting to get behind the seat. If your hand slips off it hurts. Hoping to get some P93 seats one of these days.

Piping,,,, we pretty much changed it all to stainless as it's well priced over here. Pricing up the tailpipe this week, will most likely do the whole exhaust given its only a couple of other small bits.

Got another box of bits from Austria.
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
HOOPS PINZ

Post by HOOPS PINZ »

Blimey Mike what are you buying now how many bits do you need for your trucks.

Its a shame that we got the rough end of the vehicles Im keeping a lsit of faults that Ive found with mine. Its got a front axle seal leaking dont know if you have done one yet ?

Steve
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

HOOPS PINZ wrote:Blimey Mike what are you buying now how many bits do you need for your trucks.

Its a shame that we got the rough end of the vehicles
I dont think yours is any rougher they just have different quirks. The lucky part for me was getting some of the optional extras like the winch as only ever seen 3.

Buying bits...... The main problem is when I change something ie I got a new late P93 dash, thats nice...... Then the fuse box cover is different........ Then the other bits you buy because you want like inter vehicle connectors, inter vehicle cable, 24V wheel nut removal tool (thats a blast) and what I think is troubling I bought a OEM jack handle

I got my first one Jan 09 so been a year and half rebuild on weekends (when I'm not travelling). i have to get really into now.
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

HOOPS PINZ wrote:Blimey Mike what are you buying now how many bits do you need for your trucks.

Steve
I did manage to get a set of P93 seats :D :lol:

Well I guess they are Steyr as I need to look at the later model owners manual to check. Or maybe local input. Better as has a big lever on side for folding seat.

No Pinz work for the next 5 weeks :cry:
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
HOOPS PINZ

Post by HOOPS PINZ »

Mike any difference between your 93 and 94 Pinzs does the 94 have an intercooler on it ?

I bought a set of G Wagon seats for mine and in the middle of having them retrimmed in black cloth. They are basicly the same as the Pinz ones with a lever on one of them to raise or lower the seat base a little.

You just have to cut a bit of metal off the frame of the seat so that they will fold forward.

I bought that new rear door from X Mod hope to get it fitted this week
Ive got to rework the hinges and mess around as the holes on the rear box section dont line up with the holes in the door. I also need to get a lock, catch, holding straps and weather strip.

Ive been offered an intercooler from a later Pinz have you done anything with yours on that front ? just wondering how to fit it if I go that route. IE how to move the rad back ?

Ive also investigated upgrading the turbo a company here in the UK say thay can give me 30/32 extra bhp from the engine on one of their mods.

Steve
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

Similar thoughts/topics:

Mike any difference between your 93 and 94 Pinzs does the 94 have an intercooler on it ? No both are P90's and I think all the 716 here are P90, although possibly have 1996 era as I guess the contract said P90.

I bought that new rear door from X Mod hope to get it fitted this week Ive got to rework the hinges and mess around as the holes on the rear box section dont line up with the holes in the door. I also need to get a lock, catch, holding straps and weather strip. Damn that was pricey. So it's just the bare door, no innards? Door handle is easy I think I sent you the link earlier. The internal is same as front door. Curious what the holding straps and the weather strip costs. Does it have the checker plate cover? Annoying if the bolt holes don't line up :roll: But will look heaps better. Just thinking you can get the inner door parts out of a cheap merc pickup.

Ive been offered an intercooler from a later Pinz have you done anything with yours on that front ? just wondering how to fit it if I go that route. IE how to move the rad back ? that is the catch the intercooler goes in front of the radiator so you need the P93 front frame and nose and top radiator mounts, bumper spacers. I was discussing this with Nigel as he has all these bits bar the spacers at a good price.

Ive also investigated upgrading the turbo a company here in the UK say thay can give me 30/32 extra bhp from the engine on one of their mods. I heard you can fit a better turbo, injection pump and cam. I've never been a turbo nut before so I have not reasearch it to any real depth. I do want to get a turbo boost gauge as if you fit the intercooler you have to tweak the boost and injection. I can get a P93 boost valve but who knows if its set correctly.

Currently in Houston, so jetlagged to hell :(
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
HOOPS PINZ

Post by HOOPS PINZ »

Hi Mike got 10% off the door so was not too bad on price it was £270 plus VAT and delivery. Im told they are £450 normal price.
I think I was lucky to get one at all.

Been quoted £86 for a Pinz door lock but some of the ex MOD guys are doing them around £25

What would you go for upgraded turbo or intercooler ? I have a company that state theIr upgraded turbo would increase BHP by 30/32BHP

Steve
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

HOOPS PINZ wrote:Hi Mike got 10% off the door so was not too bad on price it was £270 plus VAT and delivery. Im told they are £450 normal price.
I think I was lucky to get one at all.

Been quoted £86 for a Pinz door lock but some of the ex MOD guys are doing them around £25

What would you go for upgraded turbo or intercooler ? I have a company that state theIr upgraded turbo would increase BHP by 30/32BHP

Steve
Yeah the rear door has always annoyed me. Just curious what bits are missing on yours as the inner checker plate as I can measure one up over here if need be.

Door lock just look on ebay for mercedes pickup 90 to 96 model breaking. Can get the internals from them for a few quid. I should know the model number but I am jetlagged to hell, but soon as you write Pick up with merc you will see, the square boxy type. Older Sprinter vans, you can recognise the door handle a mile off. Easy to change the lock to match the front also.

Turbo, I have no idea as havent researched that side in much detail. I have to dig into it so if you get any info would be good to know. Nigels deal for intercooler etc was good, a bit of work but worth it. I had to put on hold as the missus had to travel unexpectedly
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
HOOPS PINZ

Post by HOOPS PINZ »

Update on my Pinz

Its still away, its been 5 weeks now to have axle drive shaft oil leak along with a few other faults sorted out. Oil was also getting into vacum tank when the lockers were used.

Ive got my seats back from the trimmers today they are looking good in black cloth. Arranging to pick up my winch front bumper next week and some other bits for the new rear door that I fitted.

I had to cut and weld the rear door hinges to fit the new door as the holes in the chassis did not line up with the holes in the door.

As soon as its back then I will fit the new seats, roll on the bedliner kit in the rear and get the warn wich fitted. Then over to Salisbury Plain to try her out.

Steve
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

fesm_ndt wrote:
Ive been offered an intercooler from a later Pinz have you done anything with yours on that front ? just wondering how to fit it if I go that route. IE how to move the rad back ? that is the catch the intercooler goes in front of the radiator so you need the P93 front frame and nose and top radiator mounts, bumper spacers. I was discussing this with Nigel as he has all these bits bar the spacers at a good price.

I been investigating fitting the P93 imtercooler further, so far you need:

- nose (well maybe as you could perhaps mod the lower mounts on the P90 nose but there are little bulges in the P93 to fit the upper radiator mounts) The P93 nose mounts are spotwelded on the body beside the headlights and on the P90 they are on the front of the lower radiator mounts.

- upper radiator/intercooler mounts

- lower intercooler mounts are welded to the under body

- lower P90 radiator mounts need the ends cut off

- need the P93 front frame with bumper and body spacings

thats what I am aware of thus far. Also need the piping of course
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)