An intro and some questions

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
TonyC

An intro and some questions

Post by TonyC »

Hi All,
My name is Tony, I live in Victoria, Australia.
I own a 1974 Haflinger and some years ago owned a 712M Pinzgauer.
I am thinking about a 718K that may be for sale here in Australia.
I have not yet contacted the seller, but my understanding is that is about a 2006-7 build and very low milage.

Now the questions,
1) What did a new 718K cost in 2006-7, Was there ever a "list" price.

2) Would anyone like to take a guess what a good condition low milage 2006-7 718K ;would be worth in other part of the world?

3) Who is the spare parts suppliers for the TDs? Is it just the factory or are there other dealers? Has anyone had any experience with getting parts shipped overseas
I believe that VW use the motor here in Australia and that the auto is a ZF unit also used here in Land Rovers and possibly BMWs

4) I assume that most of the bearings and seals would be standard parts? Are there any particular things to look out for with this model.

5) What sort of fuel consumption would you expect from a 718K auto cruising at 100 Km/h.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Tony
udo
Germany

Post by udo »

Hello tony,
i have send you a private message.
best regards Udo
Tads

Post by Tads »

Tony,

If it's genuinely a 2006-7 build then it must be a UK vehicle - probably the one we built in support of the Land 121 bid, VIN should end 21.

1. If you had to ask you couldn't afford it! There was never a list price, we didn't sell the vehicles to private sellers and military contracts include aftersales support, publications, special tools, training and all sorts of other stuff that makes determining the real price of the vehicles difficult.

2. A lot.

3. Technically, it's BAE Systems who acquired Pinzgauer as part of the acquisition of Armor Holdings. I can think of easier ways of sourcing spares though. You're right on the engine and gearbox - engine is from a VW LT van, gearbox is basically a ZF4HP22 but with some internal tweaks. A Range Rover box will work.

4. Electrics, they're complicated. 12V engine, 24V suppressed for radio everything else. Check the amber LED on the dash, if it blinks with the engine running you've got engine ECU faults to sort.

5. Same as a 3 ton LT van on mud tyres, 15l/100km (18mpg-ish) would be about right. You do have a 120litre tank though.

Tom
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

Tads wrote:Tony,

4. Electrics, they're complicated. 12V engine, 24V suppressed for radio everything else. Check the amber LED on the dash, if it blinks with the engine running you've got engine ECU faults to sort.

Tom
Interesting, always wondered what that LED was for as fitted on my new dash :D

The gearbox seems to have some significant differences, which was pointed out to me the other day as I was hoping to buy some kits to rebuild one, but it is a real mix up of bits and pieces.

That particuliar vehicle would I expect to have quite a big price tag as it is, as far as I know the only TD in Aussie 'at the moment'

If you can afford it buy it, but by saying afford it I also add in being able to fix it yourself as no-one is going to have a clue. When you go to any shop they say what car, you say Pinzgauer and they dont have a clue.

That 6x6 would also be interesting in some parts could be got from Stec but some bits would be BAE specific. Anyone dealt with BAE spares???????

To get an idea on TD spares you can look at http://www.thexmod.com/sub_catagory.asp ... 8&cat_id=8 No I am not recommending these guys as their service is like dealing with Elmer Fudd

Cheap TD manuals are, I think from memory 130 euro per book but they were Steyr Puch ones, not BAE. Mind you the BAE one I seen is an amended version, with some extra parts.
I have the owners manual for that one or era

we have a TD yahoo group young Dave set up at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/pin ... =102792871 not overly active but as with what Tads was saying there is not that many TD Pinz owners and fewer that get on the forums. Good spot to post the piccys though :lol:
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

so any luck?

and more importantly any pictures? :)
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Hi All,
Thanks for the replies so far.
I've been away all week, so I'll try to get some more info this week.

Tom,
Yes I believe it was brought into the country for the army tender.
I figured that there would never have been a list price, I am just trying to get a starting point as to what it may be worth.

fesm-ndt
Im quite happy "spinning the spanners" on it, it's the parts that is my biggest concern at the moment.
I'm not sure if being the only one in the country make it worth more or less.

Thanks again,
Tony
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

really low km's should not need anything and if you can do the spanner swinging, thats the best.

I saw a Land Rover 101 for sale in Oz not that long ago and the price was crazy. I don't know as I have seen 716 P90's go for 44k euro and a 718 P90 in the UK was 20k gbp, if I recall correctly a few weeks back.

http://www.shropshiregunbus.co.uk/ has some td prices

and here http://www.ex-road.ru/shop/cat/rus/1
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)