where to get a diesel pinz

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
earthbeat

where to get a diesel pinz

Post by earthbeat »

hello this is my first post

i am looking into getting a pinz for expedition in australia.

not sure weather a good i dea re parts etc

but i am keen on a diesel.

so i want to know if it is worth doing a conversion on a 712

or what is a good diesel model to get and where?

thanks
spandit

Post by spandit »

You might be better off buying a ready made Turbo-diesel as all the hard work is done and I believe they come with disc brakes too. Retrofitting a diesel into a petrol model is possible, but remember the 710 and 712 are air cooled so you'd have to mount a radiator somewhere. There's also a limited space to fit the engine - Pinzmeister uses the Mercedes Sprinter engine, I think, although I'm told the torque isn't great - might be wrong but I think that's normally aspirated.
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Earthbeat,
Before you get your hopes up. you need to see what it'll take to get a TD Pinz into Oz and register it. A countryman of yours has done the research and will probably respond .

Do not asssume the 716 /18's are 710/12's with diesels... they are totally different vehicles. TD's are longer ( originally, to accomadate the longer 2.4TD engine), longer wheelbases, wider track, and different trans and transfer case. 4 wheel disc brakes and power steering were also added. The 716 have a rear air leveling suspension that bring the payload capacity close to that of a 712 (718s have the same suspension as the 712).

Dave
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
fesm_ndt

Re: where to get a diesel pinz

Post by fesm_ndt »

earthbeat wrote:hello this is my first post

i am looking into getting a pinz for expedition in australia.

not sure weather a good i dea re parts etc

but i am keen on a diesel.

so i want to know if it is worth doing a conversion on a 712

or what is a good diesel model to get and where?

thanks
Which country are you in? If in UK Gregor at Shropshire Gunbus has a few http://www.shropshiregunbus.co.uk/default.asp?cat=4x4 Diesel

What you looking for i.e. a 716 or 718?

Regarding getting vehicles into Aussie, depends where you are based.
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Hi Mike,
From his request to join the TD group, he's in Oz, I knew you were jumping that hoop . :wink:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

Aussies, keep bumping into them everywhere I go.......

Spent the last 4 days on mine.
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
hardro33

Post by hardro33 »

Hi there,
I cannot believe what i just read in your post... it sounds identical to mine about 6years ago!!! We were looking for a Pinz to take to Australia..........

We eventually purchased, very luckily, a P93 716 TD EM which is a later model 2.4VW engined with better radiator airflow on nose cone, and has a larger insulated ambulance style body with increased headroom, 16000 miles on it and RHD and ZF Auto box!!! Perfect for our trip to Australia.

It has been proffesionaly converted to an extreme overland camper designed for outback travel by Overland Expedition Company in the UK. It has everything you could possibly need for extended outback travel including all the spares and more. It sleeps two comfortably plus child (if you dont like sleeping out under the stars!) We would like to sell the complete package including all camping equipment, communications including iridium satellite phone and complete set of tools. Lock,stock and barrel, i think the term is?

Unbelievably we are coming to the end of our Ausralian adventure as we have another baby due( my wife and i have been travelling with our 3 year old daughter) in October. And we are regretably looking for a buyer for our truck ( As I cant come up with a way to seat two adults and two children safely in it!!) We are currently in Darwin NT and the vehicle is on a carnet de passage for the trip which began november 09 in Perth. I have a full photographic record of conversion and works carried out since we purchased it, and many of the trip itself.It is an amazing vehicle and if you are serious about owning a Pinzgauer TD you will find it hard to find a better one suited to Australian travel. We have travelled over ten thousand miles in her with only a couple of minor problems, the worst being cracked fuel pipe from injector pump( we later learned anti vibration clamps were not replaced after the injector pump was serviced before the trip!!) It has not been advertised as yet as we were considering importing and selling here due to the huge interest it has attracted. My email is tyron.harding@btinternet.com
contact me ASAP for all the details and pics as we are heading into the bush again shortly.
Regards
Tyron Harding

P.S if there is anything we can help you with regarding your Australian adventure just send an e-mail. We have been there and its a minefield!!
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

I have some piccies of your vehicle as not sure many of those have been released.

The Australian vehicle importation rules are a bit different so not sure how it will work on a carnet de passage.

Vehicles prior to 1989 are far easier to import and that year is fixed for some odd reason.

There is a personal import but it requires that you live and use the vehicle overseas for 12 months.

There is also an engineering type approval but apparently costs 1000's of dollars, but I guess ok if a group of guys banded together

http://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehi ... index.aspx
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

this your one?

Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
hardro33

Post by hardro33 »

Yes mike thats the same model as mine. although ours looks a lot less military now.We could import into aus if we wanted to, we just have to pay import duty, we looked into it. but as we will probably return to UK we decided on a carnet, not sure if its possible to transfer one??? it really is a minefield and not that many people understand the regulations fully. Our rego here, which you still have to get on a carnet, recognises our vehicle as a golf buggy!!! as there was no other box to tick for unregistered vehicle on the computer at the vehicle licensing centre?? but when it came to paying they werent keen on us only paying the twenty odd dollars for the golf buggy and charged us for a licensed vehicle just the same! its all do-able but you need patience!!
Alot depends on who you talk to. we were told its impossible to extend your carnet for more than a year but we have. Paul Gowan issues carnet's for the RAC in the UK and is great source of knowledge and a really nice guy.
You planning on taking yours out on a carnet or import?? I can offer you advice on the carnet side and give you our shipping agents details which are so needed to get through customs and quarantine without a hitch.
Good luck with it all,
Ty
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

I can do a personal import as I have owned it for over a year, so when I want to move it is easy.

The carnet one is or can be a problem as I heard that it must be removed. The story I heard was of a guy on expedition where the vehicle completely broke down but he still had to have it towed to a port eg he could not scrap it in the country

but if you could sell it in Aussie I am sure there would be takers

:lol: but I was hoping mine to be the first legal TD import as there is a K demonstrator there but it seems to be in limbo as was brought in for a demo for the Australian Army
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)