How much does your TD smoke?

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
Merz-Ben

How much does your TD smoke?

Post by Merz-Ben »

I've been putting some KMs on the new to me 718, and after getting everything serviced and the brakes to stop dragging, it runs great. I am honestly really suprised at how well it runs for being 110hp in a 6,000 lb truck, especially with the ZF Auto trans.

The thing is that it smokes like a loaded diesel locomotive going up a mountain pass any time it is under any kind of load. I work on enough diesels to know that it is diesel smoke, not coolant, oil, or anything else, but it still seems like I need to either back the IP off, bring up the boost on the turbo, or something. I have been too lazy to put a boost gauge and pyrometer on it to get a better idea of exactly where the setting are, but I guess that is the next step to get a better idea of what to do next (if anything). Even though I have a spare 2.4 in the shop, I really don't want to cook it if I can help it.

So to the original question, how much does your TD smoke?

Cheers,
Ben
Current 4x4's: Volvo C303, Pinzgauer 718M TD, LR Defender 110 TDi HC Pickup, Unimog U1700, Unimog 416 DoKa, Unimog U1250L DoKa, Unimog U1200 Ag, MB 230G Gwagen, and piles of parts.
fesm_ndt

Re: How much does your TD smoke?

Post by fesm_ndt »

this one is smoking like a steam locomotive http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymKeVcHR ... r_embedded but it aint normal.

clean fuel filters and the tank out, and injectors, injection pump and should improve dramatically.

they are not the cleanest engine though
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
Merz-Ben

Post by Merz-Ben »

Mine definately doesn't smoke like that! The one I've got doesn't smoke on startup when cold or even crusing down a flat road, it is just under accelleration and while climbing hills. It is black smoke like on our big trucks with Injection pump modifications. I changed the fuel filters when I got it and treated the fuel in the tank with some biocide and other treatments, but who knows how old the full tank of U.S. Gov't fuel is... Once it is all gone it might clear up.

Cheers,
Ben
Current 4x4's: Volvo C303, Pinzgauer 718M TD, LR Defender 110 TDi HC Pickup, Unimog U1700, Unimog 416 DoKa, Unimog U1250L DoKa, Unimog U1200 Ag, MB 230G Gwagen, and piles of parts.
Tads

Post by Tads »

In my experience all well looked after P80s/P90s/P93s generally smoke a bit on start up, visibly clear(ish) once warm except when you boot it. Similar to any other mechanical injection diesel of the era really...
NM_Mogman

Post by NM_Mogman »

Mine smokes WAY more than that one! I just had the engine gone over and serviced because of the smoke and an oil leak. The shop said that the compression was fine (within factory spec), the IP was re-timed, and the leak was fixed (there was no valve cover gasket, just a ton of silicone), and the timing belt was replace and timing set to factory spec....still blows black smoke on any acceleration! As I said, the injectors were replaced recently (as per Mopar), and I recently treated the fuel system to some BG Fuel cleaner. I was told that these engines do not have some part that supposedly burns the extra fuel before it is expelled as black smoke, like newer diesels....not sure of the truth behind that statement. Anyway, I would welcome any advise and suggestions. I hate seeing all that $$$ pour out the exhaust!

Phil
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

As Tad said. Diesels of that era are not clean, Under acceleration, you'll get a black smoke screen....feathering off the pedal will lower the amount of smoke... and also turning the pump timing back, but you'll lose even more power. During the 80's I had several diesel trucks with 6.2,6.9, 7.3 and 8.2 and they had the same characteristics to develop power under a load. On hills, you're screwed... on flatlands, you'll develop better driving habits by watching your smoke. :lol:

Also, the earlier TDs had shimmed valves, like Jags. later, hydraulic. iirc P80 to P90 ( don't go by the grille, but the VIN)

And to be honest, I don't remember paying attention to the exhaust on GG (2.5TDI 5 cyl)... so I'd guess since I replaced the filters, I don't think it smokes at all... or I would have noticed. :lol:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
NM_Mogman

Post by NM_Mogman »

I do tend to drive by the smoke. Usually, I will run through the gears manually, so that I can keep the turbo spooled up, which helps with the smoke. I will have to change the fuel filter when the truck is back from the shop. They are going to re-tune the IP, and check a new leak (they think it may be a rear main seal!).

Phil
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Though GG is an auto also, I tend to forget that on other TDs. My 716 was a manual and RPMs needed to be at or above 2200 for the turbo.
It has been over 2 1/2 years since I sold it and the 2.5TDI has replaced most all memories of the 2.4TD :D .
Clean fuel filters are a major factor for diesels. This was something I didn't take as seriously as I should have ( and knew better) when GG arrived.
The truck had 262 miles on it, and first impressions and learning without documentation was overwhelming ( new toy and awestruck) .... Even with having had a 716 before, it was a all new adventure, and some basics were overlooked or forgotten. The truck went from feeling like I was dragging a boat anchor ( dead giveaway of clogged fuel filters :roll: ) and a top speed of 55 downhill to instantly 0 to 50 in 15 seconds ( a Pinz published spec :) ) to 75 on the freeway, even up a slight uphill (GPS verified) :D

NM_Mogman

Post by NM_Mogman »

David Dunn wrote:. The truck went from feeling like I was dragging a boat anchor ( dead giveaway of clogged fuel filters :roll: ....) :D

That is EXACTLY what it feels like!!! I gotta change it ASAP!
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

That was the first lesson I learned with a GMC 6.2 4x4 in ’82. I picked up some bad fuel in Wyoming, a by the time I got to the Rockies (going west), I had to fight to get to 55 ( on the downhill :oops: ). I even jacked all the wheels up and checked for bad wheel bearings on the truck and trailer.
In SLC, a GMC dealer pulled the filters and all type of crap poured out, even a 3” long sliver of steel :shock: still can't figure how it made it through the tank pick up, primary fuel filter, lift pump AND into the secondary filter :? .. new pair of fuel filters and the bad wheel bearings went away. :roll: :lol: :lol:

I also did the Route 66 parade today, and made a concerned attempt to watch the exhaust from GG during the parade and some "power" runs afterward…. I must have gotten some stealth clear diesel … there was absolutely no smoke visible at any time. My friend behind me never saw any smoke from it either... but we did from the pair of M38A1's in front of me :lol: ... miserable gas burners :P

NM_Mogman

Post by NM_Mogman »

Has anyone ever checked to see if the Cam on the SOCOM Pinz's was actually changed out for a "hotter" one? If so, are there several different ones, or all the same?

Thanks,

Phil
mopar
United States of America

Post by mopar »

NM_Mogman wrote:Has anyone ever checked to see if the Cam on the SOCOM Pinz's was actually changed out for a "hotter" one? If so, are there several different ones, or all the same?

Thanks,

Phil
The only place I heard that was from the person I bought it from who had who worked on them in the service, he mentioned alot of things about them such as them being manuals and then converted to auto trannys. As well as the first ones being 4x4 and then converted to 6x6s and that has been confirmed by looking at a few that have 4x4 vins and serious welding on the body where it was extended. Herbert Krois might know also as he was the supplier of trucks and parts to SOCOM and I believe at he had also worked at the Pinz factory. He was also the guy selling all the missing doors and windshields to those who who got the trucks at auction.

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold