Govt Liq 718

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
cubdriver55
United States of America

Govt Liq 718

Post by cubdriver55 »

I was just wondering how the buyers of the 718s were getting along. How many are licenced and on the road? Anyone made a top for one yet?
Boelt63A
United States of America

Re: Govt Liq 718

Post by Boelt63A »

I actually Just got mine from storage in Ohio this week. First time I laid eyes on them. Both Run fine. One had a complete top in it, as well as some other Special Ops goodies!! Working on titling them and getting off the farm with them.
'74 710M Wrecked/Rolled
"The Worm"
'76 712M
718 Turbo Diesel
Winter Beater

Post by Winter Beater »

I too am curious about the 718's. Is it worth the trouble to move from a 712 to a 718. What do I gain .... what do I lose?

Anyone played with both to know? All VW stuff has been a disaster for me to repair, find parts and/or pay for the parts. BMW & MB have been great, reliable easy to work on ... VW stuff not so much.
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

As Dave will say the difference is like going from a series Land Rover to a Defender

Ride is better, less noise, better fuel economy of a diesel and the engine and most of the gearbox is fairly common and an auto box. I forgot disc brakes and power steering

More complicated, with air lines and water hoses going everywhere.
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Well Mike.... using the comparision of a Series LR to a Defender is lost on most Yanks :? :roll: :lol:
They think every aluminum box LR is a Defender :roll: not knowing the name "Defender" wasn't coined by the factory until 1989 for the coiled spring 'boxes', and the earlier leaf sprung boxes were Series LR

But that is the best comparision. But components are not that common here.... the only use of the 2.4TD engine was in Volvo sedans and that ended in the early '90s.

The pneumatic system for the lockers is fairly straight forward......IF you have the manual :mrgreen:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

David Dunn wrote:Well Mike.... using the comparision of a Series LR to a Defender is lost on most Yanks :? :roll: :lol:
Well I was thinking I could use Jeep but there aint much difference from an old Jeep or a new Jeep, perhaps more plastic :lol:

I got way too many manuals..... I think it's a sickness as I was comparing what is the saddest things I have bought because they are SDP and I thought it was the brand new jack handle from S-Tec (I know, I know I could have used any other jack handle :oops: )

I got the Pinz hat :roll:

But I was told by a fellow Pinz nut that the 24V wheel nut removing tool takes first prize. But I can blame you for that as you got me the 24V socket, so I had to have something that plugs into it :D :lol:

No have to figure who to blame the 4 other Pinz onto
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
cubdriver55
United States of America

Post by cubdriver55 »

Does anyone know what the contol just to the right of the shifter was for on the Govt 718s? It is marked with an H in the forward position. The cable runs to the back of the transmission but is not hooked to anything. It looks like something was taken off the vehicle. I just can not immagine what it could have been. Thanks Steve
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Could it have been for a power takeoff clutch?
Jim M.
712W and 710M
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

Rock crawler reduction gearbox. Some of the guys sent me some piccies of them and was fitted after the gearbox.

I can't see much real point in having that and apparently caused major vibration issues. Of note an auto prop shaft is quite pricey so you can:

- cut down a manual one
- or also seen a gasser shaft fitted to an auto td as correct length apparently. The TD lengths are stated in the parts manual

There is also 2 versions of prop shaft on the td with one being beefier and arranged the opposite way around.
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Discovery Channel last Friday aired a special called the "Iraq War", embedded journalists footage taken during the 1st Iraq war.
About 20 minutes into the show, there is a scene with a sand storm and one of the 718's coming out of the dark blowing sand toward the
camera. Lasts all of 5 seconds. It was the only footage of a US 718 I've seen yet.
Boelt63A
United States of America

Post by Boelt63A »

I was wondering if anyone had an extra rear rollbar? I have the front and a top that was in my truck but no rear.
'74 710M Wrecked/Rolled
"The Worm"
'76 712M
718 Turbo Diesel
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

It's the same as a 710/12's

Boelt63A
United States of America

Post by Boelt63A »

David, I am sure you understand it is very similar but different in small ways. And the US modified theirs just a bit. If I can find one that was taken off I would be happy if not I will get a 710/712 and modify it as best I can.
'74 710M Wrecked/Rolled
"The Worm"
'76 712M
718 Turbo Diesel
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Yeah , I know, but the basic bar is the same... and with the US mods, doubt they provide any ROP