718-Look Familiar?

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
Profpinz
Australia

718-Look Familiar?

Post by Profpinz »

I see this is for sale in Australia.

Hmmm, a 1987, P90 (well it's a P90 grille), 718 :? :? :? :roll: :? :? :? :? :?
It looks like an ex US Miltary Pinny to me :roll: :roll:

I don't know the details of the sale, but my understanding (based on LONG conversations with the appropriate Government body/ies) is that any vehicle newer than 1989 must have full ADR (Australian Design Rules) compliance to be legally imported.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330782490968 ... 1423.l2649
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: 718-Look Familiar?

Post by David Dunn »

Hi there Peter,
That sure does look like one of those 718s. From some of the pics I've seen, the P80 718s had their radiators updated to the larger P90 radiator, and the needed grille. Those truck had older Austrian Pinz taillamps, the large storage box and a NATO slave connector ... not to mention the billion footman loops :roll:
Must of gotten the export papers

Cheers
Dave
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

G'Day Dave.
How goes it?......Hows the new "toy"???

I just heard back from the Ebay seller and he says they are ex US vehicles, and he has the import/dotars paperwork with the date of manufacture on them.
Given the above, and as you mentioned Dave, the US 718's were obviously P80 units that were upgraded at some stage with P90 components.
Do you know if they were intercooled as well?

Regards,
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Profpinz wrote:G'Day Dave.
How goes it?......Hows the new "toy"???

I just heard back from the Ebay seller and he says they are ex US vehicles, and he has the import/dotars paperwork with the date of manufacture on them.
Given the above, and as you mentioned Dave, the US 718's were obviously P80 units that were upgraded at some stage with P90 components.
Do you know if they were intercooled as well?

Regards,
Yo Peter
The ad says it has the Klune underdrive, one of the few that still had theirs... better off without it, unless you want to send the truck off through a minefield and then follow in its tracks if it made it. :roll: :lol:
He also claims the radiator upgrade was done by Steyr... the ones I saw pics of, the metal cutting didn't look clean like what the factory would have done... probably subcontracted to metal gnawing rats :wink:
Didn't see any indication of a innercooler ( more rat work needed) and the P93 grille is deeper yet

The Fly Dump Truck is coming along quite well, except for the hot weather these last few weeks that has slowed progress. The truck is out in the museum display area and no shade :cry:
You'd find it interesting that the air dropable cab is design somewhat like the 716 Shorty with the doors and body folding at the waistline. I want to check more into it, and see where the AD cabs were built. The hinges used for the folding cab are definately like what Steyr used on all the Pinzes, but also have a zerk fitting with hollow pins!... you'd think the hinges would be continually used... maybe like Dumbo ears for flapping to keep the truck flying :mrgreen:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

The Truck is legit 1987.....

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."