Pinzi 718 from Germany to Chile!

Mods, resto projects, library resources and anything else diesel related.
Pinzgauer 718

Pinzi 718 from Germany to Chile!

Post by Pinzgauer 718 »

Hi, I´m new to the forum, so greetings to all. My name is Felipe, from Chile and a few weeks ago boyght a 718 motothome from a gentleman in Germany... so now I have about 45 or more long days to wait and make plans until it can put my hands on it.

It´s a 1988 718, with 188.000 Km (about 117.500 mi) but I think maintaining has been very exhaustive from the former owner. Anyway I don´t want to take chances and will check everything important before I put it on the road... really off the road!
Not sure about the VIN, just got a picture of the docs... VAG 71834110000027; next to it a "6" on another case.
The engine is a VW 24 td with bosh diesel pump, motor changed as it was about 90.000 km.

My primary concerns are about the drivetrain, considering the engine could be changed for a lower cost than many drivetrain parts... could anyone help me with some service manuals or tech info since here in Chile I think it will be the 2nd or 3rd pinzgauer, maybe the 1st 718, so no mechanic know any about this vehicle. How can the drivetraib be chacked from the outside

Here just one pic since I could not upload more...give it a try later for more pictures.

Thanks and greetings!
Attachments
Maybe change the colors...
Maybe change the colors...
Pinzi2.JPG (99.28 KiB) Viewed 5604 times
Pinzgauer 718

Re: Pinzi 718 from Germany to Chile!

Post by Pinzgauer 718 »

here are some extra pictures...
Attachments
3/4
3/4
pinzi3.JPG (110.16 KiB) Viewed 5598 times
interior from back door
interior from back door
100_3224.JPG (163.42 KiB) Viewed 5598 times
Kitchen
Kitchen
100_3221.JPG (148.27 KiB) Viewed 5598 times
The true Pinzgauer´s

Post by The true Pinzgauer´s »

Hello Pinzgauer 718,

and welcome to the community.

This vehicle is a ex colemine transporter from Rheinbraun http://www.rwe.com/web/cms/en/481980/rh ... rennstoff/ . The pre-owner is from north of Germany and buyed it some years ago from the workshop of Rheinbraun, which also mounted the second fuel tank on the left side. The low Vin is from 1987, first registration in 1988 is possible because the vehicles runs timetwise without registration in the mines. There where round 60 Vehicles in use, this is one of the five factory-build back-bodies, the later back-bodies was from an german chassisbuilder( build cheaper bodies). In the rear was place for 12 passangers (mine worker) and used as taxi to there workplace.Some of they were later used as material transporters and zwo vehicles was Ambulance, but no one more are left. The low vin numbers have some probies with the cooling systems, which can be uptuned by changing of the cooling circle. one bigger prob is in the engine, the oil noozles up to vin 109 break and the engine dies- there are reinforced available- if you change take new and not out of used Volvo or Volkswagen engines - they also had this prob-series. The first transvere gearboxes have some synchronisation fauls, check the number plate on the gearbox on the left side- but i think it will be allready changed. If you need Service Informations, Repairbooks, Documents and Spare Parts ( in meaning off basic equipment for a overview) contact the Factory or go to there homepage http://www.puch.at There you can find also an electronic Spare Part catalog as a preview. But caution not all parts will fit on your Vehicle, please contact the workshop leader for correct part order by holding your vin number. For all other questions - ask. :lol:

Here´s some pictures of a rebuild Rheinbraun brother vin 32, which i restored and modificate for a customer.
Grettings
Attachments
Heiliger Andohnius 006.JPG
Heiliger Andohnius 006.JPG (139.81 KiB) Viewed 5565 times
Heiliger Andohnius 004.JPG
Heiliger Andohnius 004.JPG (247.79 KiB) Viewed 5565 times
718 RB Dohn 009.JPG
718 RB Dohn 009.JPG (168.55 KiB) Viewed 5565 times
Pinzgauer 718

Post by Pinzgauer 718 »

Vielen Dank The true Pinzgauer!!! Wie klein ist die Welt....

Your comment will be a part of the vehicle archives and history.

hope not to have problems with the engine, will give it a good check, as I understand it should not have many problems since it´s well mantained and low kmstand.

From the seller:
"Es ist ein Austauschmotor, der im Jahr 2000 generalüberholt mit ca 90´000 km eingebaut wurde. Es ist ein VW-Motor Typ VW 072 100 015 N, Reihen-6 Zylinder Turbodiesel, 2383 ccm, 77 kW, Bosch Einspritzanlage."

As in Chile there´s no experience with Pinzgauers and no parts as well, I would like to be prepaired for normal maintaining and some usual problems. I have thought about Achsmanschetten, Bremssättel, (Scheiben und Beläge), Antriebsriemen, Zahnriemen, Ölfilter, usw... what would you add???

Thanks very much for the help and the bit of history!
Pinzgauer 718

Post by Pinzgauer 718 »

Noch eine Frage, auf die Dokumente die Ich bekommen habe steht 3.500, ich glaube als zulässiges gesamtgewicht ??? wurde das modifiziert?? Aus die VINPlatte der Bruder steht 4500...
Attachments
Documents... part of it
Documents... part of it
100_3220.JPG (210.97 KiB) Viewed 5535 times
The true Pinzgauer´s

Post by The true Pinzgauer´s »

Hello Pinzgauer 718,

the engine number is not 072 100 105 more 075 100 103 xx, but thats no engine number thats an volkswagen order code for a industriell short bloc . the P80 engine number begins with NY, which is nowere listet in ref cataloges. Your referent Volkswagen MKB( engine code index) is DV for the basic block and for the Injection Volvo D24T. btw the german text says a used overhold engine With 90.000km( running times) by the year 2000 and not a new ( or new overhold) engine at 90.000km ( vehicle kilometers) in year 2000.
Filter referent lists i posted , you have to search in the history. Fuel and oil filter are the same as Vw and Volvo.
Axle boots are many rebuild available on market, but no have the quality as the OME Parts in meaning of diameters, sealing and ageing. Break calliper and linings are from Volkswagen/ Audi, disc are specialmade( there are rebuild on the market in UK) in breaking questions -you shouldn´t save money on the false side- remenber the weigth you move. V-belts: for the alternator 13x1025la and for the steering 13x1175la only ripped version. Timing belts are from volkswagen DV- if you will change you have to change the waterpump and the lower drive pulley too- for this work you need specialtools to hold the pulley drive . At S-tec you became the right workshop manuel to your vehicle, also in different languages.

The cross weight is 4500kg at both vehicles, but the european driving licenses for cars are limited to 3500kg so your vehicle was lower to give the change persons to drive it, without lorry license. also and BTW the seating places was usual 14, licensed at Rheinbraun as omnibus, if you look at your papers on S.1 it´s lowered on 2 seatings. :wink: If you will know how your vehicle was delivered and licended, contact also s-tec, they send you for round 40 buks the fabrication datas, called "Wagenstammkarte".
Pinzgauer 718

Post by Pinzgauer 718 »

Thanks again The true Pinzgauer´s... a few days ago recieved my Pinzgauer 8) , now it already has plates, but still worknig on the rest of the burocratic issues, I think one or two weeks more should be everything ready.

Meanwhile changed all oils, waiting for an axle boot from s-tec, since one is damaged and leaks a lot of oil, service kit and some other spare parts

Having trouble finding the famous glygoyle 30 :cry: , thinking about using some similar but mineral ISO VG 220, but with very lower viscosity at 100°C, also read some pople use regular 80w90 and change it frequently...

Here some pictures, one of the pinzy in my office and the other of the damaged boot....

Greetings
Attachments
20131122_174002.jpg
20131122_174002.jpg (228.12 KiB) Viewed 5272 times
20131122_133754.jpg
20131122_133754.jpg (227.28 KiB) Viewed 5272 times
Pinzgauer 718

Post by Pinzgauer 718 »

Also came with the user manual, very nice, and nicer 2 big books, service manual, alles auf deutsch... with time I´ll scan them if anyone needs the files...
Also all manuals for the motorhome heating, fridge, boiler, etc...

Greetings
Pinzgauer 718

Post by Pinzgauer 718 »

Hi, by today I´ve already changed the damaged boot and brake pads on 4 of the 6 wheels. A few weeks ago completed the burocracy and have now all papers ok.

Here the first test to start getting used to the vehicle off the road....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8leWKp8r1X4

Last week ordered a few more spare parts, timing belñt kit with waterpump, some seals for a leak coming from the trasfer gearbox, user manual in spanish.
Great service at puch.at

Today finished installing 2 additional seats for the kids so I hope to take a short trip on a moderate road this week end.

Greetings

Felipe
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

Hello Felipe,
Como estas? I am from Argentina, but live in the USA and own a 710K Pinz. Junst curious. What does it take to import a Pinz to Chile? If I ever moved to Bariloche, I thought I could have it with Chilean tags and drive it from there...

Another comment, you mentioned you changed the boot. I think your problem is not the boot, you have a leak from the differential seal, the boot should be dry. Just ask and make sure... ask on the general 710-712 forums, there are more readers there, and the diffs are the same.
Cheers,
Jeronimo
Jerome
CRJ Driver
Pinzgauer 718

Post by Pinzgauer 718 »

Hola Jeronimo, disculpa que no te haya respondido antes... pero no me habia conectado en mucho tiempo al foro.
El Pinz lo pude internar a Chile, ya que es permitido internar vehiculos usados bajo ciertas circunstancias, en mi caso es porque era un vehiculo que ya estaba hecho motorhome. Otras opiciones son ambulancia, carro de bomberos, etc vehiculos especiales.
En cualquier caso la mejor opcion es para las personas que han vivido fuera de Chile, puesto que pueden internar un vehiculo usado no necesariamente especial y ademas hay exención de impuestos.

Respecto al sello del diferencial igual tuve que cambiarlo por un daño en el diferencial que tenia de antes... gracias por el dato de todos modos!

In english... Sorry didn´t answer before, didn´t connect to the forum in a long time.

The pinz could come into Chile, because it´s a motorhome. Also ambulances and other special esed vehicles can be imported. Anyway the best way and cheaper way is living outside of Chile for 2 years, then you can importa almost anything (no articulated trucks...)

Saludos,

Felipe