importing a vehicle

All things not relating to the other forums.
kman

importing a vehicle

Post by kman »

Hello,

First I'd like to say that this is an awesome forum! I don't post much (well anything really) but I do a lot of reading and the info here is great. I am not a Pinz or Volvo owner but hope to be in the near future. :) That being said I have some questions about importing a vehicle from Europe to Canada. Just wondering if anyone has some experience with the process or could recommend an import company to help me out. I've tried to contact a few of them but not many answer me back and those who do aren't very clear about fees and logistics and such. Don't want to get hosed on the deal. There's a few in Finland and Germany I have my eye on and if I can get my act together to figure this out I might be able to make this happen soon. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place.

-Karl
undysworld
Norway

Re: importing a vehicle

Post by undysworld »

Hello Karl, and welcome to the forum. I'm assuming you must be in CA, based on your post,. But folks around here like to know a little about who they're talking to, so they will appreciate you updating your profile info, if possible.

Most of us just purchased trucks either from an importing dealer or from private owners. Those who do import don't always want to share info, probably both to avoid competition and because it's often hard-learned lessons. I bought my first truck from a guy that imported (non-Pinz) vehicles before, and even then that truck arrived in surprisingly unacceptable condition. (As a credit to him, he promptly refunded my money.) Even experienced importers get burned sometimes.

A Pinz is particularly a vehicle I'd want to drive in before I purchased it. Cosmetic condition can mask an internally worthless truck. Unless you're inspected the foreign trucks, I'd be reluctant to purchase them (unless they're dirt-cheap). As you mentioned, you don't want to get hosed. It could end up being cheaper just to buy a truck already in your country, and spare yourself the hassles.

But I'm in US, and I'm sure that there are differences between us and Canada. Perhaps others there will provide better advice for you.

Good luck on your hunt.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Shouldn't be an issue to import one but I would hire an import broker and make sure it's clean! Spotless. If customs charges you to wash it you will cry due the cost. Make sure it's insured. Lots can go wrong between start and finish and I would go RoRo or in a container vs a flat rack (cheaper).
Another thing is think about bringing extra parts - may as well load the back up as it could help offset the costs esp if you ship back stuff for others (many parts available here but some are cheaper over on the other side :)
Andy at VKcars in Belgium is a good European exporter that can also inspect vehicles for you.
(I have not used him but have talked to him a few times and have a friend that recommends him highly)
http://www.vk-cars.com
info@vk-cars.com
Note: all of my advice is from someone who has never imported but have looked into it heavily for umimogs :mrgreen:

Now with all that said I would not discount trucks that are already here in North America or going through one the importers like Scott at EI or SAV. There are tons of great trucks out there (and in the classifieds)!
Cheers and welcome to the forum
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

bringing extra parts - may as well load the back up as it could help offset the costs
You CAN"T have anything in the car/truck coming into the U.S. It needs to be a separate shipment with its own category.
'76 710K
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Stekay wrote:
bringing extra parts - may as well load the back up as it could help offset the costs
You CAN"T have anything in the car/truck coming into the U.S. It needs to be a separate shipment with its own category.
He said he is looking to import from Europe to Canada
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

TechMOGogy wrote:
Stekay wrote:
He said he is looking to import from Europe to Canada
Probably my mistake. I wrote:
I'm assuming you must be in CA
Wrong abbreviation. D'oh!
kman

Post by kman »

Thanks for the quick responses! You're right; I updated my profile a bit. I'm located on the west coast of B.C.

The only reason I'm considering importing a vehicle is because I'm leaning towards the Volvo. The more I looked for both Pinz's and Volvo's the more I found that there are plenty of Pinz's over here and not so many Volvo's. And the Volvo's I found here were a bit overpriced in my opinion. But if it's worth saving the headache of importing one then maybe not. Don't ask me why I like the Volvo better; I've read up a ton on both they're both awesome in their own way. I'm just pretty hooked on the Volvo. If I find the right Pinz over here then I might go that route. It would be much easier as I wouldn't have to go overseas for one.

Thanks for the help and the contact (http://www.vk-cars.com/)
I'm not in a huge rush on this. I just like to be as informed as I can on things.
Besides, the longer I wait the more affordable it becomes.
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

kman wrote:I'm located on the west coast of B.C.
Only spent 2 weeks in Vancouver and touring Victoria Island about 2 years ago, this is such a pretty part of the world...!
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Here's another similar, but even cheaper...: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-volvo-TGB- ... y_Vehicles
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

I have worked aboard car-carrier Ro-Ro ships on the Northern Europe run and I suggest that if you go that route, post detailed instructions in the cab on how to operate and drive the vehicle. If the longshoremen can't figure out how to release a parking brake, they drive it with it engaged; if they can't figure out how to start it, they drag it out of the ship with a fork-lift.

I would also suggest insurance. I rarely witness damage to vehicles, but if it were my truck, I would cover all bases just in case. Just an FYI, Wallenius Wilhelmson lines (American Roll-On Carriers...ARC division) has a run with stops in Bremerhaven, Germany; Antwerp, Belgium; and Bayonne, NJ; Baltimore, MD and Charleston, SC in the USA. Personally, for convenience of access to the ports and car terminals, I would ship Bremerhaven to Charleston if possible, just my opinion. As for via container, that's got more port options, is safer, but costs more. Just my 2 cents, hope it's helpful.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
kman

Post by kman »

Thanks for the replies/advice!

Those TGB1111's are pretty sweet. If I could have a second toy it would be one of those for sure. That one in California on ebay is tempting though....

I haven't priced out Ro-Ro shipping but will look into it. Leaving instructions for how to operate the vehicle is a great idea. I would definitely be getting insurance. The shared container option seemed like best compromise between price and a safe trip. Looks like I have more research to do.

Thanks again for the help. (And the links to the Volvo's!)