Decisions.....Decisions

All things not relating to the other forums.
will_smc

Decisions.....Decisions

Post by will_smc »

Hi guys the names William and I am new around these here parts. I'm 16yrs old and live in South Eastern Pennsylvania and I am in the market for a vehicle. Well by me I mean myself and my dad. My father is currently building a house on the Delaware and we need a a vehicle that fits the following criteria.

1. Can haul: whether in a bed, truck or trailer this vehicle needs to be able to carry wood, steel and other building materials, and maybe even a boat.

2. Reliable: This vehicle needs to be able to run for better and for worse and in sickness and in health.

3. Footing: This vehicle needs to be able to drive through floods, blizzards, and really anything else as that is what we have to deal with over here.

4. Capacity: This vehicle needs to be able to seat a few people "comfortably"

5. Maintenance: This vehicle needs to be semi-easy to maintain and have extra/aftermarket parts available.

6. It needs to be unique, something that you don't see everyday.

Now i believe that Unimogs, Pinzgauers, and C303s fit some/most of this criteria but I don't know which one is right for us to use for work and myself to drive around town. Well i can tell you Unimogs are out off the bat just because they are out of the price range so it really brings it down to the C303 and 712 Pinz. I found a C303 for auction in California that is in drive able condition could use some work but for the most part its good. I also found a decent sized lot of Pinzgauers they have 710 k/ms and 712k/ms that look 100% but problem is they are overseas.

So here is my question to all y'all knowledgeable people on this forum. Well actually I have a couple so here we go.

1. Which is better and why Pinz or C303

2. How much would a Pinz/C303 go for

3. How much would it cost to ship a Pinz back from overseas and what do you need to do to import it.

Thanks for all your help guys and if you have any questions feel free to ask me.
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: Decisions.....Decisions

Post by audiocontr »

Buy an American pick up truck.

Your list of reasons is completely flipped as to why you would buy a pinz or 303... #6 should be #1.

First and foremost, it's a 40 year old, uncomfortable collectable vehicle. Its not a primary vehicle for the faint at heart, or the young. I would not expose it to road salt of the northeast, nor do I find them reliable when compared to a mass produced vehicle.

Sorry.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Hi William,

I salute your thoughts and enthusiasm, and I don't want to be bashing Pinzes, BUT... I have to agree with audiocontr that it's probably a poor choice compared to other domestic trucks for your intended need/s & use/s.

Here's some thoughts on your criteria:
1. Yes, they can haul a lot, but the rear door is less convenient than a pickup bed gate. Plus it seems a shame to bang up an old collectible truck when you could do it to a Chevy instead.
2. They can be very reliable, but only if well maintained, and even then they probably won't compare with some newer stuff. (Then again, the other stuff can't do some of what the Pinz can.)
3. They can go a lot of places. But so can my Subaru, and with my Toyota Tacoma with locking rear diff. I'm hard pressed to be stopped most places.
4. Seating capacity is generous, but I don't think you'd call it comfortably unless they were all 5h graders. The older you get, the less comfortable they get.
5. What is "semi-easy" maintenance? To me, that means self-adjusting brakes, non-adjustable valve train, etc. Pinzes are somewhat maintenance-heavy, compared to new stuff, IMHO. Parts are available easily, but not cheaply (for the most part).
6. It's got unique in spades.

Now to answer your questions:
1. A 712 will be easier to find than a C303 I expect. The C303 has hot water heat, which I'd prefer for winter use.
2. 712 about $17k and up, I'd expect. I don't know about the C303 prices.
3. It would cost a fair amount and probably be more hassle than you can, or want to, deal with. Plus, do you really want to buy something sight-unseen and deal with that? What happens if something goes wrong?

But something domestic with a crew cab and I think you'd be happier. Save the money you'd be spending on that Pinz until you can buy your unique vehicle that you can just enjoy.
will_smc

Post by will_smc »

Hey guys thanks for all the great information regarding Pinzgauers. Just to respond to some questions and comments, I do realize that something domestic would be easier but ( at least in my area ) finding a used pickup for a good price is hard they are either basically brand new and $30k or they are $10k with 200,000 miles, missing a wheel and the chassis is rusted to ask hell. Around here there are so many people starting or who own a business that requires a pickup that any truly good deals are gone in two days. So my dad and myself thought to get something that can work like a pickup in some capacity and while we are at it is something we can both work on in terms of refurbishing and maintenance. I am no stranger to work and I am fine with upkeeping a Pinz and I do know many a person that knows more about vehicles in general and would be glad to help and I myself would love to learn about these truly beautiful machines. And just an FYI though I am putting money into the purchase , my father will be shelling out the most as it will be basically his for a couple months. But once again thanks for the info guys it was very informative.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Since you have mostly made your mind up about getting a pinz....might I suggest a 712 ambulance. The back box can be removed and replaced and the flatbed that is left is great for a work truck. Look into it for a possible.

Check here for another possibility http://www.pinzgauer.com/shpics.php?tab ... &idnum=143

SAV often has vehicles for sale and might have something not to complicated and may be within your financial grasp.
I don't think a Mog 404 would be out of your range and they are relatively easy to care for and the MB engine might be able to be worked on by a good Mercedes mechanic. When you mentioned that Mogs were out of your range I was curious as to what you might pay for a pinz, Mogs are less pricey.
http://www.pinzgauer.com/shpics.php?tab ... s&idnum=72

also fill in the profiles we know where you are...
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Parts for Pinz can =$$$
Parts for normal 4x4's =$
Pinz is fairly hard to hurt however broken parts can be very expensive and much harder to come by than for a domestic.

Most of the younger owners I have known of have been very disappointed with the on road performance and have gotten in trouble with the off-road abilities.

In most areas good deals are gon in a hurry, if you want a good truck you must pounce when you find it.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Will,

Sounds as if you'll be traveling to find either a Pinz or a good domestic at a fair price.

Morris,

Good suggestion about a 712 ambulance, and they are usually cheaper to boot.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Will,
Still don't know where you are but you might check the classifieds in this forum. Two good looking trucks there.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford