Dyno dreaming

All things not relating to the other forums.
JimmyC

Dyno dreaming

Post by JimmyC »

I am starting to use up all my napkins making my own Dyno for the Pinz. Pull of the back wheels, bolt on some hydraulic pumps with a back pressure valve and some way to cool a lot of oil.

Problem is the wheels turn so slow compared to design pump speeds. Maybe a torque hub with a planetary gear box?
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
kdiqq
United States of America

Re: Dyno dreaming

Post by kdiqq »

I've seen a lot of homemade dynos and some really nice chassis dynos that hook up to the rear wheels. The big challenge you have is the Pinz has independent suspension and, unlike a car, it gets REALLY positive camber when unloaded. Whatever you affix to the rear wheels will need to have some float to it to accommodate it.

Let me know if you want any models done up or anything! I'm proficient in Solidworks and it sounds like a fun project.
1977 Austrian 710M
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I am thinking that independent suspension and camber will not be a problem if I use two pumps, one on each side, connected only with hose.

I am not sure how I could keep the whole pump from turning. I was thinking just a long base, but itwouldhave to be big. Maybe tie into the brake backing plate?
Jim Chance
710M

GRCameron
United States of America

Post by GRCameron »

If you made an adapter that fits the hub, the pump could be prevented from rotating using a long (4 ft. or so) reaction bar that rests on the ground ahead of the hub. Tie the bar to the ground or somehow restrain it so that if you ever went into reverse the bar would not swing rapidly like a giant hand on a clock.
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Drive close and put the bar under the garage door.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

How about this: a torque sensor to put between the transmission and transfer case. You would have to baby it except in 4th gear but once you got to fourth you could measure engine torque. http://www.omega.com/pptst/TQ513.html
Attachments
TQ513_l.jpg
TQ513_l.jpg (18.58 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
Jim Chance
710M

undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

JimmyC wrote:How about this: a torque sensor to put between the transmission and transfer case. You would have to baby it except in 4th gear but once you got to fourth you could measure engine torque. http://www.omega.com/pptst/TQ513.html
Yeah, and it's only 2 grand. You guys must have a lot more $$ than I do. :shock:
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I have been divorced for 7 years so have nbben able to save some up. Worst comes to worst I can dump my girlfriend before Christmas.
Jim Chance
710M

Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

Ha! Anything for the Pinz!