New to the board - Pinz 710K shopping

All things not relating to the other forums.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: New to the board - Pinz 710K shopping

Post by Jimm391730 »

It's a bit risky to put that many miles on a "not really meant for the street" kind of vehicle
I've put over 60,000 MILES (not km) on my 712W over the last 15 years with nary a problem, less general maintenance and upgrades (2.7L, EFI, etc.). Much of that was at 55-60mph with the stock tranny (almost redline) until the TD tranny; it has gone across the country (Georgia to Vermont to SoCal to Seattle) and then some. Now it cruises in the low 60s for hours on the highway for hours on end. YMMV.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Only thing it needs is a TD Mastercylinder to go with the disk brake conversion......

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

GadgetPhreak wrote:It's a bit risky to put that many miles on a "not really meant for the street" kind of vehicle
Hey WHOA! Don't even spout that kind of comment in person, much less in writing on the friggin' internet. It's that sort of thought that gets idle do-gooder's in DMVs around the country started on an Inquisition. I know you're a newbie here, but several of us in Wisconsin had to fight a long hard battle to keep our Pinzes legal for on-road uses. (Look it up if you've got a week to spare to read about it...)

Pinzes WERE built for on-road operation, albeit maybe slower than many modern vehicles. For proof, look no further than the license plate recess and light on the rear of the truck. Toss in hi/lo beam headlights, directional indicators, and then the comments in the Operator's manual about "on-road" operation, and I think it's a done deal. Plus, consider that no less of an authority than the U.S. Customs considers them to be a "Motor Vehicle" capable of on-road operation. They're even legal here in Wisconsin now!!

You wouldn't drive a van like you would a Corvette, and a Pinz won't drive like a Corvette either. But they are just as much an on-road vehicle as a Jeep Wrangler or Ford F-350 4x4, both of which are also capable of off-road operation as well. Pinzes just do off-road better.

Sorry if I jumped you. But I can't let that comment fly.
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Here's to a daily driven 710M in Houston traffic! :) best minivan ever.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
1977 Austrian 710M
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

I DD mine a few months a year just to put some good highway miles on her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-1972 710M
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Jimm391730 wrote:I've put over 60,000 MILES (not km) on my 712W over the last 15 years with nary a problem, less general maintenance and upgrades (2.7L, EFI, etc.). Much of that was at 55-60mph with the stock tranny (almost redline) until the TD tranny; it has gone across the country (Georgia to Vermont to SoCal to Seattle) and then some. Now it cruises in the low 60s for hours on the highway for hours on end. YMMV.
Very cool! What steps did you take to deal with the noise levels? The closest experience to Hwy driving in the Pinz that I've experienced is in a UniMog and the noise level definitely got a bit tiresome after a while.
Here's to a daily driven 710M in Houston traffic! :) best minivan ever.
I'm clearly underestimating the potential... ;-)
Hey WHOA! Don't even spout that kind of comment in person, much less in writing on the friggin' internet. It's that sort of thought that gets idle do-gooder's in DMVs around the country started on an Inquisition. I know you're a newbie here, but several of us in Wisconsin had to fight a long hard battle to keep our Pinzes legal for on-road uses. (Look it up if you've got a week to spare to read about it...)

Pinzes WERE built for on-road operation, albeit maybe slower than many modern vehicles.
My mistake. I didn't mean to imply that they weren't road legal, just that it's not their natural habitat. I've driven a lot of rigs on the road that weren't ideal or very comfortable. I've also been in a lot of vehicles off road that weren't very capable. Every vehicle is a series of compromises for some duties to optimize for others. Your point is well taken.

I appreciate the work done to make ownership and road use possible and will endeavor to be a good steward of that work by being more careful with my comments. :-)

Thanks for the info!
Ben
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

ExpeditionImports wrote:Only thing it needs is a TD Mastercylinder to go with the disk brake conversion......

Cheers,

Scott
Thanks Scott. I suspect I'll be in touch on a number of things ;-) I'll chat with you about the TD Mastercylinder after I've had a chance to get it up here and get some time behind the wheel to see what works well and what doesn't.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

What steps did you take to deal with the noise levels?
For anything over an hour, I use Bose noise canceling headphones. Though using them as I do is not truly legal (at least in CA, and probably most states) they actually allow me to hear more (things like horns, sirens, etc.) than I could without them.

And of course the stock military seats have to go! Get some comfortable, aftermarket or junkyard seats and your bottom will thank you after a few hours! I can drive all day with these two items.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Jimm391730 wrote:
What steps did you take to deal with the noise levels?
For anything over an hour, I use Bose noise canceling headphones. Though using them as I do is not truly legal (at least in CA, and probably most states) they actually allow me to hear more (things like horns, sirens, etc.) than I could without them.

And of course the stock military seats have to go! Get some comfortable, aftermarket or junkyard seats and your bottom will thank you after a few hours! I can drive all day with these two items.
The rig I bought has MasterCraft Baja RS seats and I have Noise Cancelling Headphones, so I should be good to go! Thanks for the tips!