Use DropBox for image file host ;-)

All things not relating to the other forums.
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Use DropBox for image file host ;-)

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Rather than trying to upload my files to a photo share location and then link to them from here I was looking for an easier solution. I decided to try the DropBox public folder. I did a quick test in the image test section on the board and it works great.

It works as follows:
  • 1. If you don't have a dropbox account, create one at http://dropbox.com
    2. Drop any image you want to post to the /Public folder that is created in your DropBox folder by default
    3. Right click on any image you want to post and select "Copy public link" from the list
    4. Paste that link between the image tabs like you would for any image you want to link to
Alternatively, if you have a bunch of pictures, create a folder inside of Public, paste a link to that folder, paste one photo as a sample and just link to the folder and let people go look at them for themselves. ;-)

Hope that helps someone,
Ben
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: Use DropBox for image file host ;-)

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

The bad thing about this, as has been shown over the years, is that people forgot about and let their accounts close over time when they move on to other things and the links go dead.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:The bad thing about this, as has been shown over the years, is that people forgot about and let their accounts close over time when they move on to other things and the links go dead.
Yeah, that's always a challenge on forums. Sucks.

Even with the dead picture links I have learned a ton on this site. THANK YOU for your efforts to provide a place for this community to come together. I'll be making a donation soon to help with hosting costs.

Are you still sending stickers with donations of $20 or more?

Are T-shirts still available?

I need to start building my collection of Pinz gear to go with my new rig ;-)

Cheers,
Ben
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Stickers yes, but the interest in shirts is so low I can't dedicate my time to more of those right now.

Thanks.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:The bad thing about this, as has been shown over the years, is that people forgot about and let their accounts close over time when they move on to other things and the links go dead.
I agree - it is best to upload the photo directly here so it is hosted by real4x4 vs a 3rd party site and thus always stays.
Take a look at some of the posts with missing photos - they are pretty useless in many cases or leave you with more questions.
Just my opinion
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Another problem with the photo hosting sites is many people upload the photos at very high resolution, not a bad thing for people with big screens and unlimited very fast connections. However for those of us viewing on smaller note books or tablets having to reduce our browser to sometimes ~25% to view the photos in their entirety and then back to full size to read the text… :evil:

Not to mention when using a mobile connection the amount of data we are burning to view these massive photos. As has been mentioned there are many good options for reducing photos to web friendly sizes. Add to that the slow page loads.

If I know the only thing I’ll be using a photo for I often change the settings in my camera to save a much smaller image size.

The solution I used in the past when running Microsoft XP was the photo re-size that was part of their “Power Toys” really wish they would release a new version of power toys for Windows 10 or add a decent bulk photo re-size in one of their upgrade patches.

Any Microsoft employees listening? :lol:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

I am on a few forums and have no problems posting pictures except here. I have contacted Lance asking advice, reconfigured my phone ( do everything device) as Im not always carrying a pc, laptop and a digital camera standing next to wifi, the phone just does everything better for me, except size the pictures for real4x4.

I agree with the comment above. Having more pictures to follow along in a th4ead would be much better, capture more attention etc, but I understand the limited audience and smaller web layout ( cost) to keep it going vs. spending more to allow Android phone users to quickly post the pics. Anyone with an Android find a solution other than adjusting the camera in the manual settings?
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

NEWFISHER wrote:I am on a few forums and have no problems posting pictures except here. I have contacted Lance asking advice, reconfigured my phone ( do everything device) as Im not always carrying a pc, laptop and a digital camera standing next to wifi, the phone just does everything better for me, except size the pictures for real4x4.

I agree with the comment above. Having more pictures to follow along in a th4ead would be much better, capture more attention etc, but I understand the limited audience and smaller web layout ( cost) to keep it going vs. spending more to allow Android phone users to quickly post the pics. Anyone with an Android find a solution other than adjusting the camera in the manual settings?
Lance is Vince?
Best thing to do is download Tapatalk - should be free and Vince made it so this forum supports it.
Then you can read the forum via Tapatalk and post replies and pictures from you phone etc. Very easy!!
Give it a try - much better format on a smartphone
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

Oops...Vince not Lance.

Thanks for the tapatalk suggestion. I will try it