710M Center of Gravity And Trailering

All things not relating to the other forums.
jrcotner
United States of America

710M Center of Gravity And Trailering

Post by jrcotner »

I'm getting ready to haul my 710M to Tennessee, and looked all over to find the center of gravity without luck. I have some gear in the back of the Pinz, and am on a flat bed dual axle seven-ton trailer. The auxiliary fuel tank is just forward of the center of the the two trailer axles, and that was the point where the hauling truck started to sit down. It looks okay but I don't want to crack the trailer tongue.
Thanks,
John Cotner
1946 Willys CJ-2a
Elizabethton, TN
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: 710M Center of Gravity And Trailering

Post by TechMOGogy »

Back it on and put the engine over the axles
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I am gathering that you are hauling your Pinz on a trailer. For that, your tongue weight should be between 10% and 15% of the gross weight your trailer and payload.
Example: If the Pinz and everything else weighs 5000 lb, and trailer weighs 2000 lb, total weight is 7000lb. tongue weight is at least 700 lb and no more than 1050 lbs.
You do not want to have your tongue weight outside of those percentages, or bad things could happen. :roll:
Your tongue weight is also considered part of the towing vehicle's payload, so you don't want to exceed that number either.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
jrcotner
United States of America

Post by jrcotner »

The trailer is 18' long, so I can put the motor over the axles without reversing onto the trailer.
Thanks,
John Cotner
1946 Willys CJ-2a
Elizabethton, TN
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

With a 14K capacity trailer you don't have to worry about anything besides your truck. Just don't set the Pinz too far back and you should be fine.
-1972 710M
jrcotner
United States of America

Post by jrcotner »

I got out the bathroom scale and set up a 4:1 fulcrum, and just couldn't get the Pinz far enough back for comfort. I ended up backing onto the trailer. Do you think the turbulence from the tow vehicle will keep the soft top from getting tor to shreds?
Thanks,
John Cotner
1946 Willys CJ-2a
Elizabethton, TN
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

If you are worried about the soft top being damaged, take it off. You can always put a cheap tarpaulin over the Pinz if you are worried it will get wet in the wrong places.

John
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Scott took mine off when he shipped it. He said they get beat up, it's cheap insurance to just remove it.
1977 Austrian 710M
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

My soft top was very degraded, so whenever I pulled her on a trailer I tired to keep it 65 or under. I figured the Pinz can run that speed by itself so no extra harm done. Now I'm curious, what are you towing with?
-1972 710M
PINZDKH
United States of America

Post by PINZDKH »

I towed my 710M on a trailer a few weeks ago - no issues:

Tow vehicle: 2000 Dodge 3/4 ton 2wd with Cummins 5.9, stock except for MagnaFlow exhaust.
Trailer: heavy duty 18' pipe frame, 2 ea 7k axles w elec brakes and load equalizer hitch.
Drove the Pinz on nose first as to preserve my Tuff River Stuff top. I never have checked tongue weight... I just use the TLAR method (That Looks About Right)... usually works for me.
Chained it down and took off. Ran up to 80-85 mph on the downhill stretches. Avg around 75 mph on the flats.
Had a bunch of bugs to clean off the Pinz windshield.
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Quote: Nose First : UnQuote,

The canvas top is designed to work that way round, getting wind / air flow over it. If you put it on "Backwards" then there is a completely flat back which is NOT designed to have air hit it at 75mph! The wind / air flow will find the hole in the rear flap, fill the rear load space and in order to find a way out will lift the front and rip it in the process.....

Take it off, cover with cheap tarp which you can rope down and won't care if it get a few rips in it!

John