How High Have You Driven Your Pinz?

All things not relating to the other forums.
nicholastanguma
United States of America

How High Have You Driven Your Pinz?

Post by nicholastanguma »

What's the highest elevation you lads have driven your Pinzies, and how did they perform?

I'm becoming concerned that a search to find a couple of proper P80 turbodiesels to import into America may not be fruitful (only made from '86-'89/'90), and I may have to "settle" for a couple of gasoline 710s.

Even with Jim's 2.7 big bore w/ torque cam and a solid state ignition I'm sure I'd have to go through all the trouble of removing the engine shroud to reach the carbs for rejetting every time I ascend the Rockies or Himalayas and then descend back to sea level. And that would be annoying very quickly.
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: How High Have You Driven Your Pinz?

Post by audiocontr »

DUI is bad, mmmkay
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
one2many
Australia

Post by one2many »

Jim has just posted in carburetor footprint thread that he will have some more EFI kits finished soon, that would help a lot.

I've never heard of diesels struggling with elevation but then we don't/can't go anything close to the heights your talking.

Audiocontr where are you ATM...on top Mt Everest? :mrgreen:
1985 pinzgauer 712K factory 2.7lt civilian (RHD, 4 door K)
1979 Volvo tgb 1314a (under construction to om606 diesel/722.6 trans. Dual cab/tray)
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Mine has handled driving from about sea level to probably as much as 20 feet ASL.

In all seriousness, there are a few solutions for altitude compensation. Check a few threads here and do a little googling. If all else fails, the EFI kit is the ticket.
1977 Austrian 710M
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

You may also want to investigate switching to variable mixture aircraft carbs which can be adjusted on the fly, so to speak. I've heard of them but don't know the source. Try a vintage plane site or magazine.

The diesels will just keep losing power as the air becomes more rarified as they take in a "full lungful" of air on every intake stroke. Even playing with the turbo boost will only have limited results.

Good luck.

Cheers, Clive
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I have been over several passes in the rockies to as high as +12000 feet. Looses power that high as carbs are starved of air and the HP goes down.
I live at +5000 ft and am jetted and timed for that altitude. Don't consider changing the jets out every time I want to go somewhere, just not worth the time and trouble...I just go slower.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I drove mine to Toro Peak (you can Google that), elevation was around 8400'. The Pinz ran the same as at sea level where I live.
ako

Post by ako »

Bleed in some NOS through the smallest jet possible :mrgreen:
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

My carbs have 125 main jets, since I live at 5500 feet elevation. The truck runs well at sea level and have been as high as 11,000 feet; only noticeable issue was the reduction in power at that altitude. I found no need to re-jet for that trip.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Bruce Berger

Post by Bruce Berger »

Back when I was running carbs I had a chance to drive to the University of California Barcroft Research station at 12,470 feet. There was a noticeable reduction in power. The worst affect was having to crank the engine much longer than normal to get it to start. This happened other times at high altitude as well. It always made me wonder if it was going to start. It always did.

I never checked the jet size. They were most likely stock.

I've had it up to around 10,000 feet several times since installing Jim's EFI system. Now it always starts right a way. There is still a lack of power but it is less noticeable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bruce Berger
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
mit Beck-LaGuardia Elektronischer Einspritzung
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I live at 5500 feet elevation. The truck runs well at sea level and have been as high as 11,000 feet
:( :( :( :( Wow, the highest mountain in Australia is only 7,310 feet (2,228 metres) :( :( :( :(

The highest drivable point in Australia is Mount McKay at 6043 feet (1842 metres) but even if I'd been there, I don't think it would count in this thread :) :D :shock: :roll:
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

The highest drivable point in Australia is Mount McKay at 6043 feet (1842 metres) but even if I'd been there, I don't think it would count in this thread :) :D :shock: :roll:
That's OK, Peter. Australia has plenty of other good points that we don't have over here. Someday I'll get down there to check them out in person. And if you ever get up here, we'll take you up where you can't breathe... :wink: ... and the Pinz can't, either!
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

The highest I have driven my Pinz was over Independence Pass in Colorado - 12,095 feet (3686 meters) and it did ok - but I was jetted for Denver at the time (5000 feet). One the way back to Washington State (sea level) I changed the carb jets out once I was about to leave from Utah.

I have also driven my 28 HP Citroen 2CV over Independence Pass and it seemed to have about the same performance as my Pinzgauer - but I guess that the HP/weight ratio would be about the same for the two vehicles. Both are faster than the 1965 Volkswagen bus with its 40 HP engine that I used to own during college.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
nicholastanguma
United States of America

Post by nicholastanguma »

Haf-e wrote:The highest I have driven my Pinz was over Independence Pass in Colorado - 12,095 feet (3686 meters) and it did ok - but I was jetted for Denver at the time (5000 feet). One the way back to Washington State (sea level) I changed the carb jets out once I was about to leave from Utah.

Including having to remove the engine shroud, how long does it take to rejet the carbies?
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

10 minutes or so for the main jets. (That's allowing 5 of the 10 minutes for pulling the doghouse out.) Just do it when the engine is cold, so you don't drop fuel onto hot exhaust parts.