1st Dakar Rally

All things not relating to the other forums.
Bruce Berger

1st Dakar Rally

Post by Bruce Berger »

This was just posted on the World Moto Guzzi Owners Facebook page.

http://advjoe.ca/2015/12/the-story-of-t ... ally-1979/

There is an interesting looking Pinzgauer in the background.

I'm planning to watch the Dakar Rally. I always root for the Tatra teams but I'd like to own one of those Kamaz trucks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Bruce Berger
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
mit Beck-LaGuardia Elektronischer Einspritzung
ako

Re: 1st Dakar Rally

Post by ako »

Thanks for the link, very interesting read
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I've always loved the Dakar (Paris Dakar as it was originally called) and have watched them all since day one......TV coverage here, starts tomorrow.
The Pinzgauers used to backup the Honda bike team and one year a 712 did an end over end roll .......I have a pic somewhere in my files. ...I'll see if i can find it.
Personally I reckon the best years were when the big 8X8 air-cooled Tatras powered through the desert.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Did a search for a larger version of that photo - found one - I think the unusual looking windshield may be a protective screen or plexiglass cover as you can sort of make out the windshield wipers just under it - perhaps it folded out of the way or something. http://motor.as.com/motor/2014/11/19/al ... 33579.html

There were a couple of other usual vehicles there as well - check these out:

Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Found more on it - http://www.dakardantan.com/forum/pinzga ... 6972dce538 along with a poor translation:

"Hired as a press vehicle on this first Dakar the pinz indulged in a number amazing troubleshooting and, in particular, without it, some cars would have remained in the fords of Senegal. On board, Jean-Pierre Chapel, Jean-François and François Beau Dunac, photographer to the news agency DPPI, whom we must credit all photos of this Pinz. They never hesitated to stop, be it a car to get out of a rut or biker to help a wounded, sometimes even long waiting for doctors at the Amsam ... So much so that it was called the St. Bernard rally !! A +"

Here are more photos:

http://www.dakardantan.com/forum/pinzga ... 6972dce538

Here is the windshield cover being removed:

Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Don't these tires look huge? are they 9.00x16s?

Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

They do look like 9.00's and that cool looking but awful tread, although not many tires are tougher so cutting one on rocks is much less likely compared to other, lighter and better treaded tires.

We can't have a thread like without mentioning the Volvo Cross Country too! It was built by Claes Blomquist who some of you C303 guys may have bought parts from and who has some serious racing experience, including the '94 Transylvania Trophy which is the older version of the Croatia Trophy I was in, in the 712. This 4x4 was part modern station-wagon and part C303 with portals axles and those familiar 16" wheels. This was the 2003 race. They broke a transmission early and did not finish. http://www.v70xc.com/paris_dakar_2003/interview.php
005.jpg
005.jpg (53.59 KiB) Viewed 5929 times
And of course the 1983 PDakar race that had the C303:

"In 1983 two teams from Volvo Trucks entered the Paris-Dakar desert rally. Hasse Henriksson, Sture Bernhardsson, and John Granäng managed to win the light trucks class (up to 10 tons total weight). They placed second of all trucks and 20th overall. Winner of all classes was the veteran racer Jacky Ickx and his navigator Brasseur in a Mercedes G-wagen.

The Volvo entries were two C303 in almost stock configuration. Notice the external roll bar in the picture. They were also equipped with additional 80 gallon gas tanks, communication radios, and cylinder heads adopted for the low-octane gas found in Africa. Navigational equipment such as clocks and trip meters were added to the instrumentation.

The winning C303 is on display in the Volvo Museum in Gothenburg. Hasse Henriksson was back in 1986, in a Swedish-Greek team together with Athanare Papadimitriou and Börje Rosvall, again driving a stock C303. This time they placed fifth amongst all trucks and second in the light trucks class."

I always wanted to find one those grills but they are more rare than hen's teeth!
5592504055_bcd1c62d93_z.jpg
5592504055_bcd1c62d93_z.jpg (221.21 KiB) Viewed 5928 times
I (3604).jpg
I (3604).jpg (120.17 KiB) Viewed 5928 times
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

KLRCAMARO

Post by KLRCAMARO »

Funny you would come across that as it ties my two new interests together. The Pinz for obvious reasons and recently Dakar since an acquaintance of mine, Ricky Braebeck, is racing dirtbikes for the Honda team. Since my boss is also a racer this spun a whole new line of thought to outfit my future Pinz to run as a support vehicle when he races the Baja Series next year. All pretty exciting and I hope it works out. Since he is my boss I at least know I will get the time off haha.
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

The fact that the Pinz finished is always a plus, number 44 to boot. 8)
1972 710m
KLRCAMARO

Post by KLRCAMARO »

Here is a Pinz video I found of one at a rally or rallye depending on what part of the globe you sit on.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-FkC_OTJ4vs
I like the part about 3:50 in where he watches two other vehicles get stuck then just drives right up the middle past them. I think in another video he says he finished 23rd out of 150 or something to that sort.
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

KLRCAMARO wrote:Here is a Pinz video I found of one at a rally or rallye depending on what part of the globe you sit on.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-FkC_OTJ4vs
I like the part about 3:50 in where he watches two other vehicles get stuck then just drives right up the middle past them. I think in another video he says he finished 23rd out of 150 or something to that sort.
The owner/driver of this PInz is (or at least was) on this forum. Same username.
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
KLRCAMARO

Post by KLRCAMARO »

Oh nice! Would be interesting to hear from somebody who has used their Pinz differently than the bulk of us. Also embarrassingly I spelled Brabec wrong. Product of the California school system right here haha.
KLRCAMARO

Post by KLRCAMARO »

Also the pic above where the guys body is hiding the rear of the Pinz makes me think how neat a 710 would look with a rally paint job.