New to the board - Pinz 710K shopping

All things not relating to the other forums.
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Good evening all,

I'm new to the board so I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Branden, but I go by Ben. I live in Washington State in the Redmond area.

I'm currently on the hunt for a Pinzgauer 710K for use in Search & Rescue (SAR). My goal is to use it on missions, but even more so, I want to use it in the promotion of our unit. As you may or may not know Search & Rescue is all volunteer and we rely on donations to fund our efforts. All members provide all of their own gear and volunteer their time. We raise money to help maintain the couple of unit owned command vehicles, training, and consumables (first aid supplies, etc.). Therefore we need to be vigilant about keeping a profile with the public and raising awareness so we can in turn raise funding.

It looks like I've narrowed it down to one of three 710K's for sale by FranksPinz, Middlebury_Pinz and the one from Expedition Imports that has some roof damage. The challenge is I can't go and see any of them. I've done a fair bit of research and understand some of the differences in the Austrian versions vs. the Swiss Versions. I also have identified some of the weak points or common challenges. It was based on that that I ruled out the others I was looking at.

Buying one remote is a challenge so I'm in the process of trying to find someone down in this area that has one that would be open to letting me come and look at it. It would help with making my decision to see them in person as I'm comparing the differences in the ones for sale.

My total budget is $25K. Within that price I will need to add our units SAR logos, mission radio gear, additional search lighting (LED spot, some scene lights, and amber emergency lights). I would ultimately like to eliminate some of the finicky nature of the drivetrain by adding Fuel Injection, consumer ignition, and as soon as possible add power steering and get Jim to rebuild the engine to 2.7L and Andre to build some custom mods for SAR use (his work is amazing). I'm not afraid of regular maintenance but want to eliminate variables in the field that could create a fault that slows the mission down.

Here's a little more about our unit for those that are interested:
http://www.facebook.com/kc4x4sar
http://www.kc4x4sar.org/
http://www.kingcounty.gov/council/ne...uckdonate.aspx

I've really enjoyed my initial Pinzgauer education which this board has afforded. I've learned a lot and am thankful to have such a great resource at my fingertips as I go through this process.

Kind regards,
Branden “Ben” Powell
King County Search & Rescue | Wa State Regional Special Vehicle Unit
501c3 Non-Profit | 100% Volunteer organization
"Always prepared, that others may live"
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Re: New to the board - Pinz 710K shopping

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Prior to the Pinz my primary vehicle for this purpose was a 2007 Wrangler I purchased new and built for SAR use.

rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Perhaps serendipitous, maybe it's called a Pinzgauer because like the horse of it's name
they need a lot of care and feeding -- unlike a Jeep which can be taken care of by just about
any shop within a city block. So....if your passion 90% SAR and 10% the horse your riding you
may find your Jeep a better trade-off. Just putting a bug in your ear, as these horses need a
lot of love and attention then they serve you well.

For your quest for a 710K, I have never seen any regrets form any buyers who bought from
someone on the forum, and needless to say Scott at EI stands by his products -- don't think
you can go wrong.

good luck
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Thanks Rmel!

Your perspective makes a lot of sense, and given what I've read I can understand your words of warning :-)

I've owned several really old FJ-40's along with other rigs that were well beyond their prime and in need of a lot of love, so I'm prepared to manage that. It's also going to be a rig that is dedicated to SAR use so if it needs to sit for repairs from time to time that's not a problem. At this point I am confident that the benefits outweigh the risks so I'm definitely going to pick one up.

I'm continuing to educate myself and look at available options. I'll make a decision on which one to get in the next week or so. I appreciate all of the PMs and help offered. THANK YOU!

Ben
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I agree that buying from someone on this forum or Scott is usually a safe bet!
With that said, I assume you have been in a Pinz and driven one around as a test to make sure it meets you and your units needs?
I would also warn that your wish list for $25k may be a bit off.
EFI, 2.7l - best case your looking at a bare minimum of $7k
Power steering - roughly $2500 if you do it yourself, otherwise $3k and that assume no rebuild of your steering box.
So you need to buy a 710K for under $15k and that number keeps going down (quickly) if you also "add our units SAR logos, mission radio gear, additional search lighting (LED spot, some scene lights, and amber emergency lights)" and then have Andre do work on top of that!

Good luck with your search, just be sure it is a vehicle that will work for you and keep your budget realistic.
Cheers and welcome to the forum!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Thanks TechM0Gogy,

The $25K target is to get the rig, address any critical functionality items, and then get our mission critical equipment installed (most of it we have the equipment and will just have to handle install, most of which we can do internally as we have radio and electrical expertise in house).

After that my long term goals include the additional items (EFI, 2.7L, Power Steering, Customization, etc.) - I figure after running it for 6-9mos or so minimum we'll have a much better sense of the importance and priority of those upgrades.

So for now my target is to get the rig for $17-19K and, shipping for $1500-$2K, and remainder for getting it up and operational.

I really appreciate all of the advice and wisdom from your collective experience.
Thank you,
Ben
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Your best bet is going to get it all quoted from Scott. He offers nearly everything you're looking for. See how many 'extras' you can get lumped in to one sale and maybe he will work something out? He is a friendly guy and is flexible. Helped me a lot when I ordered my 710M. Imported from Austria and then shipped to Houston. Helped me with every step. Most importantly, he provided a comprehensive photo packet, documents, and detailed a couple issues it had. Give him a call and seek feedback. You picked a sweet SnR vehicle. One in good shape will easily be the most dependable vehicle in your fleet! No question!
1977 Austrian 710M
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Well, it looks like I just did the deal and have agreed to terms with the seller of this Pinzgauer 710M. http://www.ebay.com/itm/301857402511?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Now I need to figure out the logistics and get it up here ;-) and then talk to Andre about a hard top.

And it begins...

Ben
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Wow - that happened quick - looks like a great truck.

I just happen to have a nice custom built "5 bar" aluminum hardtop with top hinged glass rear hatch I built for my710M Pinzgauer that I am going to put up for sale - would be perfect for your truck. It was made from a single 5 x 8 foot sheet so no seams to leak. There is an internal welded on aluminum frame underneath and it attaches to the two existing "hoop" roll bars without any modifications. It completely covers the rear area (allowing the front soft top to be rolled back still) and has a 14 x 14 inch glass boat hatch for ventilation when parked. The sides use the stock canvas which is able to roll up - they will be included with the sale. It also has two side "rails" that allow attachment of a roof top tent or solar modules without making any holes in the aluminum roof. The inside is covered with a black foam padding for noise and thermal insulation. We had 5 people standing on it at burning man without any issues a couple of times...

I also have one remaining 5x5 foot plate of the same aluminum "5 bar" metal I was going to use for making a front cover - it would be available also.

Attached is a picture of the hardtop with the rear hatch partially open and the sides rolled up - the rear hatch can be opened once the lower door has been opened or it can be driven resting on the tire. There are water/fuel can holders on each side of the hatch also. The hatch has a gas strut to hold it up when opened. It would be easy to have side panels made up that were top hinged also since they are just flat metal and not structural.

I am going a different direction with my Pinz - I'll start a thread on that soon.

Christopher
Attachments
Pinz 710M Hardtop.jpg
Pinz 710M Hardtop.jpg (100.23 KiB) Viewed 5380 times
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

I'll plan a trip there with my Pinz when I get it and check your top out. I appreciate all your info via PM, thank you!

Looking forward to meeting you and seeing the top. Let me know a price with and without the front piece once you have that figured out.

Ben

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Congratulations, very nice Pinz.

ron
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Nice!!
That covers off a lot of your wish list and then some!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

TechMOGogy wrote:Nice!!
That covers off a lot of your wish list and then some!
Yeah, it looks like I'll be at a good starting place. I'll fly down there and see it shortly and do the final deal in person. That way I can go over it and make sure it checks out.
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

The owner and I were inches away from a deal a couple months ago. I was wishing it was in my driveway but I had a deposit on one when yours came up the first time. You scored one with more than your wish list. Enjoy.

Is your plan to ship from LA or drive it up? I would love to check it out in person if you end up driving through Oregon.
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Currently planning to ship it, but would love to drive it. No better way to get to know a car than a road trip [WINKING FACE]. It's a bit risky to put that many miles on a "not really meant for the street" kind of vehicle, but who knows...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk