Another Land Rover importing red-tape nightmare

All things not relating to the other forums.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Another Land Rover importing red-tape nightmare

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

undysworld
Norway

Re: Another Land Rover importing red-tape nightmare

Post by undysworld »

Damn, where's that old common sense when you need it? Did some Land Rover guy piss off the wrong bureaucrat?

So, if the guy had left the old engine in the truck when it was legally imported, it would then have been legal to import the current engine and install it into the truck here, but swapping engines overseas is illegal? What's the net difference?

The current engine is cleaner than the original and old enough to be exempted, and EPA thinks this is bad? Why?

Then, if you'd performed the engine swap after importation, and EPA came looking into it, how could you ever prove that you hadn't broken the law by importing it that way?

Sure glad I don't own a Land Rover!! Wish I just had one of them clean-burnin' Volkswagens instead!! That'd save the planet for sure.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

You'd think being that this guy is an army officer, and that the military imported the thing for him, that would have some weight but, guess not.

63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

I have heard from others in the LR community here in Canada that Rovers are being denied import to the USA for having a replaced frame! :roll:
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Currently, importation of any Defender or classic Mini is super risky. It seems that the inspectors have been "deeply informed" of issues with these cars and look for any trouble. An Internet purchase and shipping scenario from the UK/Europe will likely be rough.

I can't believe the Minis that have been imported over the last 10 years. A cursory search of eBay shows minis that OBVIOUSLY are newer years sold as 60's and 70's vintage vehicles. They were imported at some point..
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I can't believe the Minis that have been imported over the last 10 years. A cursory search of eBay shows minis that OBVIOUSLY are newer years sold as 60's and 70's vintage vehicles. They were imported at some point :roll:

As were a lot of 71 Pinz's :wink:

Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
nicholastanguma
United States of America

Post by nicholastanguma »

63rover wrote:I have heard from others in the LR community here in Canada that Rovers are being denied import to the USA for having a replaced frame! :roll:

This is standard practice. American LR importers have had this headache for years.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

M Wehrman wrote:I can't believe the Minis that have been imported over the last 10 years. A cursory search of eBay shows minis that OBVIOUSLY are newer years sold as 60's and 70's vintage vehicles. They were imported at some point :roll:

As were a lot of 71 Pinz's :wink:

Mark

Most come out of North Carolina. shady shady stuff with Minis out of north carolina, especially those sold by people named Bill
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

I know first-hand about that one. I once drove a Defender "110", or, sorry, 109, out of NC to help a friend deliver it. It was a "1975" that someone had bought but it happened to resemble a 1998 model, almost exactly, even down to the factory 300Tdi motor. Oh and this was probably in 2005. :roll: