Army 4x4 washed away in Texas flood waters

All things not relating to the other forums.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Army 4x4 washed away in Texas flood waters

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Soldiers were killed. Sad reminder to be really careful when doing a water crossing out there. I've been stupid in the past and done this through a rushing river, but I was lucky.

http://www.twcnews.com/tx/austin/news/2 ... truck.html

FORT HOOD, Texas -- Fort Hood official says five soldiers are dead and four are missing after an Army troop truck was washed from a low-water crossing and overturned in a rain-swollen creek at Fort Hood in Central Texas.

A statement from the Texas Army post says the accident happened about 11:30 a.m. Thursday in an area near Cold Springs and Owl Creek.

"The 1st Cavalry Division is grieving after a training accident at Fort Hood during flash flooding this morning," Maj. Gen. John Thomson III said in a statement Thursday night. "We are deeply saddened by the loss of several Troopers and continue search operations. Your thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated during this difficult time as we care for the Families, loved ones, and fellow Soldiers of those impacted by this tragedy. God Bless the First Team."

--What Happened:--

Three soldiers were rescued from the swift water. They're in stable condition at Coryell Memorial Healthcare System in Gatesville. Army aircraft, canine search teams, swift-water rescue watercraft and heavy trucks are being used in the search for the six missing soldiers. The names of the dead are being withheld until their relatives can be notified.

--Gov. Greg Abbott released the following statement:--

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to the soldiers, their families and the Fort Hood community, and continue to be with those still unaccounted for. Texas stands ready to provide any assistance to Fort Hood as they deal with this tragedy. The brave men and women stationed at Fort Hood and across our country put their lives on the line every day, and be it through rescue operations or on the battlefield, Texas will forever remain grateful for their sacrifices.”
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

David Dunn
United States of America

Re: Army 4x4 washed away in Texas flood waters

Post by David Dunn »

A sad event, and makes you more aware of the power of rushing water. The truck was a LMTV, A 18000 lb vehicle
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

The military has actually been using the LMTVs here in the Houston area to do rescues. I'm not sure what the situation is in Ft Hood, but that is tragic.

No doubt this will serve as a reminder to the locals that water is not anything to joke about. The mantra of the past few months has been 'Turn Around, Don't Drown'.
1977 Austrian 710M
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Shame and very scary considering the size of the truck!
When I lived in Tx we used to 4x4 once a year at Ft. Hood when they opened it up to the Big Texas Outing - been through that creek. That is where I saw my 1st 404 Mog
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

And this was during a training exercise. What a damn shame.

Out of curiosity, doesn't the military have amphibious machines that could be used in flood situations, like the old Alvis Stalwart or such?
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Paul, vehicles like the Stalwarts are more for calm water use. IIRC, the empty weight of a Stalwart is around 20,000 lbs. Not much more than the LMTV. also having a hull, it would lose traction and become a boat at the will of the raging waters a lot sooner, or uncontrollable for rescue.
Until the military reviews all the conditions, no one can be sure what could have been done differently, other than not be in any flood plain.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Then this guys jeep was washed away in Tx. after he parked it a few minutes earlier. No one harmed this time but that's definitely a total loss.
http://www.motortrend.com/news/watch-th ... xas-flood/

19D20

Post by 19D20 »

When I was at Ft. Hood we were crossing Cowhouse creek when it was high. A m113 with a vulcan 20mm mounted got washed down stream and flipped over, killing all 4 crew members. This type of accident has happened numerous times at Ft. Hood
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

I wonder if the water served as more of a visual problem than being what actually rolled the trucks?

I wonder because it's common for 4x4's to get washed over a bridge during water crossings because the driver looses visual reference as to where the edge of the bridge or path is. You get a tire that drops off that edge and tip over to some degree, then it's easy for the water to take it over. It would just take a hell of a stream to simply wash a LMTV away.

19D20

Post by 19D20 »

Unless you are on one of the few paved roads in the training areas on Ft.Hood it's all low water crossings.