710M or 710K?

All things not relating to the other forums.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: 710M or 710K?

Post by 4x4Pinz »

yes the 712 will turn on itself if conditions are correct. Have shown more then a few people that the turning radius of a 712 can be as little as 4 feet. A good stable rock, tree stump, small rut... etc. is needed. Lock the front in and release the rear. turn into the obstacle and let the open rear diffs push you around while the front pulls. Truck will feel like it is spinning right in place. The reason I made my side rails out of heavy steel was so that I could use them as a pivot point for doing just this in very tight situations.

I can't find a picture of my 710 with eight people in the rear but here is one with seven. Truck handles very different when loaded like this and is very crowded but will do the job
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

For the record, when you dont have a pinz, you want a 710. When you get a 710, you want a 712. When you have a 712, you want a haflinger, and when you have a haflinger (or two) you dream about a single 710 with all of the goodies that you wish you had from the start...
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
itsalljake
Norway

Post by itsalljake »

I admit the 712 is tempting and there seem to be a lot t more available. I will really be untenable on the trails. Some spots are a little tight for the Ranger Crew. And no, I don't plan on putting obstacles in the trail just so I can use them to turn. Really good to know though if I get in a tight spot. I figure since the ranch is a good 250 plus miles from Jim at GW I will do as much forward maintenance and upgrades as possible in the first go. Still waiting for the last Pinz owner to get back to me with better pics. Trying to be as patient as possible so he can realize he's not getting any other offers st $12K. Hoping he comes back to me with a drop to $10K and then I can knock him down another K. We'll see. I also told him about this great forum I found (didn't say the name) where I'm finding all sorts of useful info to know what I'm looking at when I finally see it in person. Just waiting on that because he did email back about being negotiable for a quick sale.
1972 710M
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

If you have access to a large California ranch with some crazy trails, why not see if some of the local Pinz owners would be game for a weekend camping trip or something like that? I know there are a few in the LA area.

You could see the trucks and what they are capable of. These trucks are not wide, or very long, tighter turning radius then my chevy truck. They are tall, so going under trees can be a challenge, but you would be surprised how nimble they are. Though that will depend on how big your forearms are, no power-steering, you know.
murrayjp
United States of America

Post by murrayjp »

Haf-e wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:05 am I don't have an 710K but I don't think there is enough space left behind the three forward facing seats to have a full bench seat in the back to allow four people to sit there. If you remove the table in front of the three froward facing seats, you might be able to have a pair of rear facing seats there - but the foot space will be tight.

You might want to look at how the zip line companies set up their trucks - they seem to typically use 712M's.

As far as removing the sides and not the top - it probably is possible but would require the use of a sawzall to do it... I've always seen the top and sides together as one unit when the top has been removed from a 710K or 712K.

I do happen to have a nice aluminum hardtop available and can arrange delivery to CA... I am in WA.
love the top would you still have it? would like to see how it's made
thanks Bill
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Your original post is dated 2016. Did you ever find a 710M?